News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

the ship was designed to be a flex stage where many props can be swapped out, the digital window media can be swapped out, etc. in the future they’re going to offer weeks of Marvel cruises with transportation to future world/Xandar to expand the appeal of the hotel outside of just Star Wars fans
Creative suggestion but that will not solve the issues.

Skywise

It's a bus.
They couldn't even be bothered to build some type of themed transport that ran on a rail or something.
They just re-themed the inside of a bus.
I get that - but they lost a lot of space for all the electronics and screen displays so there's actually less standing room/seating space. Given that it's a perk of the resort I was thinking it was going to be more like star tours style seating. This looks like... a themed bus.

GimpYancIent

It’s definitely been discussed as an option to handle the ebb and flow of fandoms and will likely happen. That flexibility affected the designs from the ground up.
You mention MARVEL aren't there some issues with using Marvel characters etc. east of the Mississippi for Disney?

pdude81

I don't think they have a choice but to release teasers like they have. Can you imagine the outrage if someone booked and wasn't given even a clue of what to expect and was enormously disappointed?
With all the stuff they have on the website and the long discussion you have with the person during the booking process, you get a pretty good idea of what's happening. I think that they can't show us the kind of stuff that would sell us on the experience without sort of ruining potential surprises or showing people stuff that might not actually happen on their particular cruise. I also worry that showing us snippets of things like Gaya singing present the options in an inferior light, compared to what you'd experience on board at an actual dinner show.

Your point is well taken on people wanting to get a sense of what they are paying for, given the astronomical cost. I just don't see a way they can really show you what it's like without taking away the need to pay for it to really know what it's like.

pdude81

For $5k they could be handing out locked down android tablets to guests.
I'm assuming it has to do with the "play as much as you want" aspect, and letting people use the OS that they are used to. However, I don't need the distractions the rest of the phone brings with it while trying to role play. However, it'd be nice to have that option even if I assume it would be something that is returned at the end of the voyage.

pdude81

Whose kids have 5 grand to drop?!

I get the "Mommy, mommy, buy me the $50 vidya game I want" strategy they're using here but... "Mommy, mommy, buy me the $5000 Star Wars experience I want" just seems like a lot to expect from people.

"Honey, why don't we just get you a pony instead?"
It's really for older Star Wars fans who want to experience this with their kids. Few children would have any idea this even exists, much less ask to do it.

LovePop

I have an idea. If the hotel fails after some time, Disney can change it to become "a hotel inside Hollywood Studios." The cabins will still be rented out, but at a lower rate (same as GF) and without meals. Instead, the dining room will be open to reservations to the general public, like other hotel restaurants. The guests can still be given a "story" to do LARP. The themed buses will run continuously throughout the day, taking people to and from DHS.

The "Halcyon" will become the newest attraction at DHS. People will wait in line to board the themed buses to get there and back, similar to that train in AK where you board to get to this science station building. People who are staying at the hotel will have priority boarding. Once people get to the hotel, they can try out the lightsaber training and bridge control, pay to eat and drink at the restaurant or bar, listening to the singer, and so on. They can have a character inside the hotel to take pictures. The cabins will be closed off with a glass door so that only cabin guests can go in and out. There can be also a small area closed off as the hotel lobby, for hotel guests only. When they are done, they can board the themed bus back.

Being that the hotel is "inside" DHS, it will not provide hotel transportation to all other theme parks. They will uber or take the DHS bus transportation to other parks. Guests there will be given free daily LL pass to RotR and Falcon rides, a perk that will cost Disney nothing.

That way the hotel will be utilized fully and help increase DHS admission income, instead of going to waste.

GimpYancIent

With all the stuff they have on the website and the long discussion you have with the person during the booking process, you get a pretty good idea of what's happening. I think that they can't show us the kind of stuff that would sell us on the experience without sort of ruining potential surprises or showing people stuff that might not actually happen on their particular cruise. I also worry that showing us snippets of things like Gaya singing present the options in an inferior light, compared to what you'd experience on board at an actual dinner show.

Your point is well taken on people wanting to get a sense of what they are paying for, given the astronomical cost. I just don't see a way they can really show you what it's like without taking away the need to pay for it to really know what it's like.
Some snip its and really short teasers would have been good with no need for the small productions that have been attempted displaying fake excitement (poor acting). The publication of a lackluster itinerary did not help. Then the ridiculous pricing model definitely dampened the enthusiasm of fans. The sword of Damocles dangles over this project and the adventurous soles that have book and actually go when this experience launches will speak, review, express and show if they liked it, had fun, were disappointed or (this is important) go again plus recommend others to go. 2022 will be very interesting.

Parker in NYC

Did you send them email saying this was the reason you cancelled?

I'm sure if they get cancellations they won't think much of them, as they could be for any number of reasons, but if you say you were on board until the end product looked underwhelming they may [MAY] take that somewhat seriously.
Isn’t their inbox backlogged? I just assumed any further emails would be marked as lovely spam. Wonderful spam.

TrojanUSC

Despite all the complaints, the hotel is still fully booked for the first 4 months. So for the people who are going, the trailer videos aren't enough to make them cancel. They like the luxury experience with a SW theme. It's like going to a spa where you get pampered. I've never understood spas, it looks so boring. But spas are popular because people like it.

What? They pulled a promotional video that was embedded in major news stories across the world. This doesn’t happen without a major reason for doing so. In this case, they were getting cancellations specifically because it doesn’t look like a luxury experience. It looks cheap and cheesy.

GimpYancIent

Isn’t their inbox backlogged? I just assumed any further emails would be marked as lovely spam. Wonderful spam.
Disney does review customer / guest commentary and it's not disregarded. At least that is my experience. Now whether or not the commentary will have any impact how Disney actually does what they do is questionable. Most of the time Disney, politely / diplomatically, will respond and continue as they were anyway. If a legal issue is perceived, then the Disney legal department will send a response in legalese.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom