News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Patcheslee

Who is the target market for this Star Cruiser? It looks like Disney tried to create a generic sci-fi hybrid of battlestar galactica, 5th element, Mass Effect, Star Trek and a little Star Wars to appeal to the broadest market available.

Disney obviously isn’t marketing or
Making this for those who grew up with the original trilogy.
If they could manage to develop working sleep pods from 5th element for the flight down, I'd be game.....
I want to see Ewoks though so doubt they're targeting me lol
Is it safe to say we won't see Stormtroopers since they'll miss launches? 🤓

CinematicFusion

Thank you for speaking on behalf of millions of fans.
I’m not speaking for them, I’m just agreeing with them based on the preview Disney took down. Apparently Disney thought it looked terrible or people were cancelling their reservations so they pulled the video.

I’m sure once people experience the star cruiser the reviews will be positive and Disney was just focusing on the weaker moments to hide the incredible stuff. Keep the surprises.

AEfx

Who is the target market for this Star Cruiser? It looks like Disney tried to create a generic sci-fi hybrid of battlestar galactica, 5th element, Mass Effect, Star Trek and a little Star Wars to appeal to the broadest market available.

Disney obviously isn’t marketing or
Making this for those who grew up with the original trilogy.

Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you just saying that, "Yes, this looks lame, but you should do it because it's unique?" Maybe this appeals to the FOMO group, but I don't see many people feeling that way.

That's what we've kind of said since the beginning, once we saw the first "activities" itinerary. I've been out of the loop for a bit on the developments here, but since that infamous video (that I had to seek out finally today), I'm hearing from all over the place in regular media about it so I had to play some catch up.

It clearly is not aimed at hard core adult spending Star Wars fans - like myself. I am the type that has Star Wars stuff in every room in my house (much to my hubby's chagrin) - and I can't even remotely picture myself paying six grand for this. I wouldn't even spend two grand on it. And I'm someone who spends several thousand dollars a year on Star Wars merchandise, one way or another.

Since they basically designed it for kids, it seems (like a cruise - arts and crafts for the kiddos, places for the parents booze it up), with this price point - it's those FOMO's and one-timers to whom money isn't a concern, who would be coming to this whatever theme it was - just because it's "Disney's new boutique experience". Mostly looking for Instagram bragging rights.

I'll give the interior the benefit of the doubt until I see more - but that video certainly did nothing to show it off. What they showed was very generic - example, the cramped cantina looks way more like Klingons and Romulans belong there, not Twi'leks and Stormtroopers. Even the bridge. I'm hoping there are some more impressive things they just haven't showed yet.

I'm seeing this project end up like Galaxy's Edge...and, frankly, Disney's entire treatment of the Star Wars franchise since they bought it. One could go back and find posts from me on this very board celebrating Disney purchasing Lucasfilm, because they said all the right things, and I trusted that, like they did with Marvel, Disney was exactly the right home for the franchise. It seemed like a match made in heaven to me.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to look at it all the same - one big missed opportunity. It's not that what they have done with the theme parks, the films, and now this - have been so terribly bad....it's just that they had so much potential to be really good, and they just keep going in the wrong direction away from what makes Star Wars, Star Wars - and what the fans that have the bucks to spend want to spend it on.

Animaniac93-98

Cancelled our booking after much consideration. Looks terrible. Major fan with cash to burn but I just can't at this point.

Did you send them email saying this was the reason you cancelled?

I'm sure if they get cancellations they won't think much of them, as they could be for any number of reasons, but if you say you were on board until the end product looked underwhelming they may [MAY] take that somewhat seriously.

UNCgolf

Did you send them email saying this was the reason you cancelled?

I'm sure if they get cancellations they won't think much of them, as they could be for any number of reasons, but if you say you were on board until the end product looked underwhelming they may [MAY] take that somewhat seriously.

I'm not sure they can fix it now even if they wanted to. It looks like they'd need to significantly redesign entire areas.

dreamfinder912

Who will you be going as?

If I were going, I'd play someone like a member of Erudo Ro-Kiintor's staff. My name: Bakon Aneggs.

:hilarious: nothing that fun! I'm actually going as my d&d character because she's who I both want to cosplay as for 3 days, and someone I actually...CAN cosplay as for three days. I love star wars, but I don't know enough lore to confidently RP for that long. So I'm fitting my half-elf druid into the star wars universe.

Animaniac93-98

I'm not sure they can fix it now even if they wanted to. It looks like they'd need to significantly redesign entire areas.

In 3 months time? They can't do anything.

But if this "fails" (either in not making money, or not meeting expectations) Disney's hubris and ignorance will make up all sorts of excuses.

They need to be told directly, and in no vague terms, that this looks underwhelming and that's why people don't want to buy.

CinematicFusion

That's what we've kind of said since the beginning, once we saw the first "activities" itinerary. I've been out of the loop for a bit on the developments here, but since that infamous video (that I had to seek out finally today), I'm hearing from all over the place in regular media about it so I had to play some catch up.

It clearly is not aimed at hard core adult spending Star Wars fans - like myself. I am the type that has Star Wars stuff in every room in my house (much to my hubby's chagrin) - and I can't even remotely picture myself paying six grand for this. I wouldn't even spend two grand on it. And I'm someone who spends several thousand dollars a year on Star Wars merchandise, one way or another.

Since they basically designed it for kids, it seems (like a cruise - arts and crafts for the kiddos, places for the parents booze it up), with this price point - it's those FOMO's and one-timers to whom money isn't a concern, who would be coming to this whatever theme it was - just because it's "Disney's new boutique experience". Mostly looking for Instagram bragging rights.

I'll give the interior the benefit of the doubt until I see more - but that video certainly did nothing to show it off. What they showed was very generic - example, the cramped cantina looks way more like Klingons and Romulans belong there, not Twi'leks and Stormtroopers. Even the bridge. I'm hoping there are some more impressive things they just haven't showed yet.

I'm seeing this project end up like Galaxy's Edge...and, frankly, Disney's entire treatment of the Star Wars franchise since they bought it. One could go back and find posts from me on this very board celebrating Disney purchasing Lucasfilm, because they said all the right things, and I trusted that, like they did with Marvel, Disney was exactly the right home for the franchise. It seemed like a match made in heaven to me.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to look at it all the same - one big missed opportunity. It's not that what they have done with the theme parks, the films, and now this - have been so terribly bad....it's just that they had so much potential to be really good, and they just keep going in the wrong direction away from what makes Star Wars, Star Wars - and what the fans that have the bucks to spend want to spend it on.
Star Wars is all about the characters and Disney has missed the boat with the new concepts in the theme parks so far. There is zero classic characters in the new Star Wars areas and it is a life force drain.

The most hyped Star Wars project at the moment is Obi Wan vs Vader.
Boba Fett has his own show.
A huge classic character made his appearance at the end of Mandalorian.
This is what is pushing Star Wars on TV.
The classic characters and timeline are driving Star Wars on Disney+, and it’s exciting!

Lucasfilm needs to sign the new trilogy characters to massive contracts and start making relevant stories on Disney+ with these NT characters so they don’t feel like Second rate acts at the theme park.

For many fans(not all) they are still looking for the real Star Wars at the theme parks.
So far, it looks like Galaxy Star cruiser isn’t it and if it turns out to be…. It’s gonna cost you 5 to 7 grand to experience it.

I do hope the hotel works, we shall see.

UNCgolf

In 3 months time? They can't do anything.

But if this "fails" (either in not making money, or not meeting expectations) Disney's hubris and ignorance will make up all sorts of excuses.

They need to be told directly, and in no vague terms, that this looks underwhelming and that's why people don't want to buy.

Oh sure -- I didn't even mean before the supposed opening date in three months. I meant that even if they were willing to push the opening back, it would likely be far too expensive to change everything.

GimpYancIent

This is truly amazing I’m almost speechless.

I never thought it could be so bad.

If you offered this to me for free I wouldn’t go. I would be too embarrassed. This is KiteTails level horrible.

I’m surprised Chapek hasn’t toured this “experience” and fired everyone.
Though the indicators for success with this project are mediocre it is premature for BOB to do any stepping in and start axe dropping. After the experience goes live, reviews and revenue will be the motivating factors.

JoeCamel

This is truly amazing I’m almost speechless.

I never thought it could be so bad.

If you offered this to me for free I wouldn’t go. I would be too embarrassed. This is KiteTails level horrible.

I’m surprised Chapek hasn’t toured this “experience” and fired everyone.
Fired? Do you know how strapped they are for people?
Oh, nevermind the Lake Nona move for WDI, all those people not making the move couldn't impact creative development could it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom