News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

pdude81

I don't think anybody with money and time should cancel no matter what happens, not even if the ads are bad, not even if the reviews are bad. It's a unique experience. There is nowhere else on earth where you can stay in a space hotel. You do it because you can afford it. If it doesn't turn out to be interesting enough, you can always run to MK for the day; you are in Disney World after all.

The Starcruiser does look lamer on the trailers than I imagined, but I don't see why it matters. From the first moment of booking, you know you will be doing stuff like playing cards and building model ships. You know it's an indoor cruise ship on land with no pool. You go to relax, eat blue shrimp, and pretend to be in space for a couple of days.

I also don't understand why Disney removed the last video trailer. The Genie+ trailer got even worse responses, but you don't see Disney being ashamed if it. It is what it is: for an indoor cruise ship, that's as good as it's going to get. People need to know that's what they are getting. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. But it's important that they know what they are getting so that they don't get there and then make a scene or sulk or complain the whole time, ruining the mood for everybody else.
I'm assuming they pulled the trailer because it was widely ridiculed. They don't need a ton of "news" articles saying "check out this trailer that sucks" with a link to the official video. Genie sells itself, while they can do damage to bookings if they screw up the marketing for SWGS.

pdude81

You sure sound like him.

I love this condemnation of people with money and time who are cancelling their trips. It doesn't look like Star Wars whatsoever. Maybe when it does, I'll reconsider. It just looks bogus and embarrassing. And as for your go-to-the-Magic-Kingdom remark, not for $6000.

Don't take the bait
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

jinx8402

Example: Why not have Admiral Ackbar introduce and brief the audience to and about Captain Janeway? It would have made a really good promo teaser.
It may be good, it may be bad, but Disney is trying to create a story in regards to the starcruiser experience that ties into the greater Star Wars world. What story is there that Admiral Ackbar, a rebel/resistance pilot, would be aboard a cruise ship and introduce the captain? What story is there that someone we met before would be the captain of a cruise ship?

Again, not trying to say if the current story is good/bad, or that even going with a story at all is the right call at all. But with that being the direction of this experience, you need to make the story fit.

doctornick

I'm assuming they pulled the trailer because it was widely ridiculed. They don't need a ton of "news" articles saying "check out this trailer that sucks" with a link to the official video. Genie sells itself, while they can do damage to bookings if they screw up the marketing for SWGS.

to be honest, I don't really understand all the ridicule for the video. While I agree with most that Disney has done a poor job promoting this or showing anything that looks groundbreaking, I also think that most reactions tend to be way over the top in terms of criticism.

Specific to the video, I thought the ship interior and deck looked okay but nothing special. I didn't think it looked particularly impressive but it didn't strike me as bad either, just "there". The bar and musical number was about the same - not something that would make me want to book, but perfectly acceptable and understandable as part of the offerings for the cruise. I mean, there should be drinks and live entertainment so I get showing that off as something included at the experience.

Same thing with the captain. Pretty much about what I would expect - a reasonable, practical "alien" that would be appearing live. Maybe the uniform could be more interesting but it's fine.

Where I think Disney has failed is not that anything they have shown is bad except the light saber training (though it might be better in person, who knows), but nothing has been inspiring or seem worth of the large price tag. Like, it's all stuff that should be there as filler, but nothing that would actually be the draw. So either they are hiding some big exciting things that will make this worthwhile relying on surprise and word of mouth (rather than official promo pieces) or they have made a subpar experience. Given Disney recent track record, I know what I think the case is here....

Last edited:

durangojim

I don't think anybody with money and time should cancel no matter what happens, not even if the ads are bad, not even if the reviews are bad. It's a unique experience. There is nowhere else on earth where you can stay in a space hotel. You do it because you can afford it. If it doesn't turn out to be interesting enough, you can always run to MK for the day; you are in Disney World after all.

The Starcruiser does look lamer on the trailers than I imagined, but I don't see why it matters. From the first moment of booking, you know you will be doing stuff like playing cards and building model ships. You know it's an indoor cruise ship on land with no pool. You go to relax, eat blue shrimp, and pretend to be in space for a couple of days.

I also don't understand why Disney removed the last video trailer. The Genie+ trailer got even worse responses, but you don't see Disney being ashamed if it. It is what it is: for an indoor cruise ship, that's as good as it's going to get. People need to know that's what they are getting. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. But it's important that they know what they are getting so that they don't get there and then make a scene or sulk or complain the whole time, ruining the mood for everybody else.
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you just saying that, "Yes, this looks lame, but you should do it because it's unique?" Maybe this appeals to the FOMO group, but I don't see many people feeling that way.

UNCgolf

to be honest, I don't really understand all the ridicule for the video. While I agree with most that Disney has done a poor job promoting this or showing anything that looks groundbreaking, I also think that most reactions tend to be way over the top in terms of criticism.

Specific to the video, I thought the ship interior and deck looked okay but nothing special. I didn't think it looked particularly impressive but it didn't string me as bad either, just "there". The bar and musical number was about the same - not something that would make me want to book, but perfectly acceptable and understandable as part of the offerings for the cruise. I mean, there should be drinks and live entertainment so I get showing that off as something featured.

Same thing with the captain. Pretty much about what I would expect - a reasonable, practical "alien" that would be appearing live. Maybe the uniform could be more interesting but it's fine.

Where I think Disney has failed is not that anything they have shown is bad except the light saber training (though it might be better in person, who knows), but nothing has been inspiring or seem worth of the large price tag. Like, it's all stuff that should be there as filler, but nothing that would actually be the draw. So either they are hiding some big exciting things that will make this worthwhile relying on surprise and word of mouth (rather than official promo pieces) or they have made a subpar experience. Given Disney recent track record, I know what I think the case is here....

I think it's less about it looking bad in a vacuum (although the hallway looked pretty bad; it looked like a regular hotel hallway you'd see anywhere with an overlay on the room doors) and more about it looking bad for the price tag.

I'm sure there would still be criticism (it all just looks cheap to me in general), but if it cost $500 instead of $5000 I think the expectations would be lower and there would be less ridicule. At that point you could argue it was mainly aimed at kids.

Last edited:

pdude81

Specific to the video, I thought the ship interior and deck looked okay but nothing special. I didn't think it looked particularly impressive but it didn't string me as bad either, just "there". The bar and musical number was about the same - not something that would make me want to book, but perfectly acceptable and understandable as part of the offerings for the cruise. I mean, there should be drinks and live entertainment so I get showing that off as something featured.

I didn't watch the whole video. I saw chunks of it during the holiday special on ABC, and it looked ok.... the usual cheesy way they sell everything. Certainly didn't turn me off to the whole experience as they can't show me real video of something that doesn't exist yet. To me their most compelling commercials are when they show families on property having an adventure together.

As for the captain, this is something I really don't get. So there is an intergalactic space cruise pilot seemingly not from earth, wearing what looks like a cross between a pilot and a cruise captain's uniform. Should there have been gold stripes on the shoulders instead of silver stripes on the arms? I don't get what people are complaining about there

For me I think they can't fail at this given the price point, and that at least the first month or two they'll have yet to cut back on offerings or price. I'm taking a gamble as I can't know what this is like until I'm well past the point where I'm pot committed. I could be very wrong and very angry later on, but Disney cruises regularly cost 2-3x more than other comparable companies and people continue to rave about them. Covid has removed a lot of certainty from the world, so I'm just going to go with my gut on this one.

Patcheslee

May not have another hotel only space themed, but there are space themed rooms. Some sketchy, others look oddly familiar with a bunk, space views, etc.

GimpYancIent

Specific to the video, I thought the ship interior and deck looked okay but nothing special. I didn't think it looked particularly impressive but it didn't strike me as bad either, just "there". The bar and musical number was about the same - not something that would make me want to book, but perfectly acceptable and understandable as part of the offerings for the cruise. I mean, there should be drinks and live entertainment so I get showing that off as something included at the experience.

So! in a nutshell it's a MEH.

lightningtap347

I still have to believe that they haven't shown enough of the thing to voice a strong opinion one way or another.

However, I would never drop 6K on something like this, so my opinion might now have any valuable weight, as I'm not the target audience.

Incomudro

For those of which money is no object, sure... Why not?
Just go, see how you like it, and if you don't - well... No big loss.
For those who don't have money to blow, those who scraped, saved, and ran themselves into debt beyond their means - it's a different story.
I'd bail out if I were in that category if I only had the deposit down.
Bail out, and see how the genuine reviews go, and see what this really has to offer.
Then decide if I want to book again.

Incomudro

The glimpses they've shown us should look amazing!
At this price point, at this level of exclusivity - a luxury Star Wars themed space cruise should knock our socks off.
Disney used to do that (still does sometimes) with its regular park attractions and rides.
This is a high end experience.
Those of us for who it isn't in the budget for should be envious.
Those who can afford it should be proud of their selection, and be full of excitement to go.
We should be wowed by that bar, lounge, bridge, and when we see it - dining area.
Instead, it's barely ok.
We should see characters and be similarly amazed.
Yes, there's still some chance that Disney's holding back in showing us the amazing - but it's not looking good on that prospect.

durangojim

The glimpses they've shown us should look amazing!
At this price point, at this level of exclusivity - a luxury Star Wars themed space cruise should knock our socks off.
Disney used to do that (still does sometimes) with its regular park attractions and rides.
This is a high end experience.
Those of us for who it isn't in the budget for should be envious.
Those who can afford it should be proud of their selection, and be full of excitement to go.
We should be wowed by that bar, lounge, bridge, and when we see it - dining area.
Instead, it's barely ok.
We should see characters and be similarly amazed.
Yes, there's still some chance that Disney's holding back in showing us the amazing - but it's not looking good on that prospect.
Didn't there used to be that "I am rich" app for the iphone that cost $1000?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom