News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ImperfectPixie

Can I just say. Reading everyone's post is more entertaining than this cruise. Have they revealed or talked about their mask policy? I found it interesting if Mask's are still in policy by March, will they have Mask free areas? If you think about it, you are essentially stuck inside the hotel for 2 to 3 days. Isn't the current research concluded COVID most likely occurs indoors? Are you able to leave the hotel to take a break outside and remove your mask? To get fresh air? Or guests can remove their mask in designated areas? But only put them on during schedule events? I'm really curious on their mask policy for this new hotel.
You brought up a really good question.

There's a half-day-ish excursion to Galaxy's Edge, and there is a "courtyard" for those who want to get some fresh air, but it's small, and I imagine it will get crowded if that's the only place people can take their masks off while at the resort (unless dining). (Not to mention that if I'm remembering correctly, the courtyard seems to be surrounded on 4 sides by high walls, so being in tight quarters like that might eliminate some of the benefit of being outside.)

LadyPink

You brought up a really good question.

There's a half-day-ish excursion to Galaxy's Edge, and there is a "courtyard" for those who want to get some fresh air, but it's small, and I imagine it will get crowded if that's the only place people can take their masks off while at the resort (unless dining). (Not to mention that if I'm remembering correctly, the courtyard seems to be surrounded on 4 sides by high walls, so being in tight quarters like that might eliminate some of the benefit of being outside.)
Yikes. This sounds like prison. Maybe they'll include mask into their script theme or storyline? That you have to wear mask becasue the air is different? They must have designated areas within the hotel. Because that will break character if mask aren't written in the story and Cast Members have to remind guests to put their mask back on.

ImperfectPixie

Yikes. This sounds like prison. Maybe they'll include mask into their script theme or storyline? That you have to wear mask becasue the air is different? They must have designated areas within the hotel. Because that will break character if mask aren't written in the story and Cast Members have to remind guests to put their mask back on.
Well, you're really only there for a half a day the first day, then overnight, then it's the Galaxy's Edge day, then overnight again, then checkout day...it shouldn't be too bad as I'm sure time will fly for those who are there...but the mask thing is very interesting and something I'm going to watch for.

GimpYancIent

Can I just say. Reading everyone's post is more entertaining than this cruise. Have they revealed or talked about their mask policy? I found it interesting if Mask's are still in policy by March, will they have Mask free areas? If you think about it, you are essentially stuck inside the hotel for 2 to 3 days. Isn't the current research concluded COVID most likely occurs indoors? Are you able to leave the hotel to take a break outside and remove your mask? To get fresh air? Or guests can remove their mask in designated areas? But only put them on during schedule events? I'm really curious on their mask policy for this new hotel.
I fully understand your valid point, however, this is supposed to be an immersive experience. Soooo to get the full immersion out of it going outside for fresh air is not advisable because the guest is in space. Any coming and going would be done via encapsulated vehicles (shuttles) which would still be enclosed atmospheres. I am sure guests can remove their masks in their designated cabins. I am confident that Disney has installed a top-of-the-line air filtration system. I am sure that all the masking protocols for indoors and enclosed spaces will be followed. It will be interesting how people will behave in this Faux space vessel.

pdude81

Amazing that the hype train for this is derailing at at an alarming rate. This is the fandom that buys $20 action figures regularly, preorders plastic vehicles for over $300, assembles their own costumes with expensive materials and seems to have unlimited funds for whatever insane merchandise and experience it releases.

And yet, Disney seems to be letting them down. Perhaps they think the fandom is dumb and will just continue to pay regardless.
If there was ever a hype train, it derailed in the Summer of 2019 when people started talking about pricing and SWGE opened with all the budget cuts. From there the groupthink varied from "must be nice" to "waste of money" for the most part.

More or less, people were excited about the idea until that two-day boutique experience would be as expensive as a week at a (Disney) deluxe hotel.

GimpYancIent

If there was ever a hype train, it derailed in the Summer of 2019 when people started talking about pricing and SWGE opened with all the budget cuts. From there the groupthink varied from "must be nice" to "waste of money" for the most part.

More or less, people were excited about the idea until that two-day boutique experience would be as expensive as a week at a (Disney) deluxe hotel.
Too true. I for one was super pumped, interested, curious and motivated to experience the Galactic Star Cruise when first announced. It initially sounded great and the concept art imaginative, BUT, since the initial unveiling of the concept management and the team developing the project have done everything to dampen the enthusiasm, lower expectations, cheapen the view of the experience while over pricing (way) a now projected to be low quality product. Disappointment pretty much sums it up.

UNCgolf

Agreed 100%. Also, I was thinking...like I believe DLP is getting...practically JUST a ROTR attraction without Batuu...at this point, would that have been such a bad thing? Batuu still feels "empty" to me for some reason. All of the "props" are there, a couple of characters, some food options, but something just feels like it's missing.

I think that would be a much better use of space (i.e. just Rise of the Resistance) than what currently exists in DHS. It's a massive sprawl with tons of empty space (although not nearly as bad as its neighbor Toy Story Land), and MFSR is a terrible ride. The Millennium Falcon prop is great, but none of the stores/restaurants are really special. If they had Rise of the Resistance plus maybe Docking Bay 7 and one or two shops, they could have used probably a third of the overall footprint and then had all that additional land to do something else.

GimpYancIent

Captain Janeway joined the Blue Man Group.
Regardless of coloration / galactic species if characters were introduced / linked to whatever the experience is by known Star Wars characters the fans readily identify rather than simply throwing in new characters, with half-baked back stories, and saying look at the new characters aren't they great. The fans / guests look for established, known, characters that are the story all the new characters are merely background and story augmentation.

GimpYancIent

Regardless of coloration / galactic species if characters were introduced / linked to whatever the experience is by known Star Wars characters the fans readily identify rather than simply throwing in new characters, with half-baked back stories, and saying look at the new characters aren't they great. The fans / guests look for established, known, characters that are the story all the new characters are merely background and story augmentation.
Example: Why not have Admiral Ackbar introduce and brief the audience to and about Captain Janeway? It would have made a really good promo teaser.

Patcheslee

I fully understand your valid point, however, this is supposed to be an immersive experience. Soooo to get the full immersion out of it going outside for fresh air is not advisable because the guest is in space. Any coming and going would be done via encapsulated vehicles (shuttles) which would still be enclosed atmospheres. I am sure guests can remove their masks in their designated cabins. I am confident that Disney has installed a top-of-the-line air filtration system. I am sure that all the masking protocols for indoors and enclosed spaces will be followed. It will be interesting how people will behave in this Faux space vessel.
They've got the courtyard story covered lol
Screenshot_20211207-113326_Chrome.jpg

Skywise

I think that would be a much better use of space (i.e. just Rise of the Resistance) than what currently exists in DHS. It's a massive sprawl with tons of empty space (although not nearly as bad as its neighbor Toy Story Land), and MFSR is a terrible ride. The Millennium Falcon prop is great, but none of the stores/restaurants are really special. If they had Rise of the Resistance plus maybe Docking Bay 7 and one or two shops, they could have used probably a third of the overall footprint and then had all that additional land to do something else.
Yeah - GE is a very odd concept. Let's make an entirely new "Star Wars" land that doesn't appear in any of the movies or TV shows and then make it almost entirely unremarkable! It's not that I'm against the idea of building something entirely new but the land has almost no character other than an alien shopping mall. It's like somebody said "Hey, let's make a backwater star port like Mos Eisley that nobody would want to go to unless they absolutely had to but we'll call it something else so we're not tied down by existing lore but make sure we keep it looking and acting like a star port dump that nobody would go to! THEN, we'll make dozens of new movies and TV series that don't even reference this place!"
C'mon - Walt would've had a movie AND TV Series that took place in this star port and its surrounding areas long before the land even opened!

GimpYancIent

Yeah - GE is a very odd concept. Let's make an entirely new "Star Wars" land that doesn't appear in any of the movies or TV shows and then make it almost entirely unremarkable! It's not that I'm against the idea of building something entirely new but the land has almost no character other than an alien shopping mall. It's like somebody said "Hey, let's make a backwater star port like Mos Eisley that nobody would want to go to unless they absolutely had to but we'll call it something else so we're not tied down by existing lore but make sure we keep it looking and acting like a star port dump that nobody would go to! THEN, we'll make dozens of new movies and TV series that don't even reference this place!"
C'mon - Walt would've had a movie AND TV Series that took place in this star port and its surrounding areas long before the land even opened!
Odd concept, yes. Batuu, to me, is enjoyable and I have had fun there and believe with a few tweaks could be remarkable. I like it. As for product presentation, story development and telling plus guest involvement Disney Co. is slipping.

LovePop

Understandable. I'm still in but I get why many are hesitant
I don't think anybody with money and time should cancel no matter what happens, not even if the ads are bad, not even if the reviews are bad. It's a unique experience. There is nowhere else on earth where you can stay in a space hotel. You do it because you can afford it. If it doesn't turn out to be interesting enough, you can always run to MK for the day; you are in Disney World after all.

The Starcruiser does look lamer on the trailers than I imagined, but I don't see why it matters. From the first moment of booking, you know you will be doing stuff like playing cards and building model ships. You know it's an indoor cruise ship on land with no pool. You go to relax, eat blue shrimp, and pretend to be in space for a couple of days.

I also don't understand why Disney removed the last video trailer. The Genie+ trailer got even worse responses, but you don't see Disney being ashamed if it. It is what it is: for an indoor cruise ship, that's as good as it's going to get. People need to know that's what they are getting. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. But it's important that they know what they are getting so that they don't get there and then make a scene or sulk or complain the whole time, ruining the mood for everybody else.

Parker in NYC

I don't think anybody with money and time should cancel no matter what happens, not even if the ads are bad, not even if the reviews are bad. It's a unique experience. There is nowhere else on earth where you can stay in a space hotel. You do it because you can afford it. If it doesn't turn out to be interesting enough, you can always run to MK for the day; you are in Disney World after all.
Bob, is that you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom