News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Looks like Flabber from 'Big Bad Bettleborgs'
images.jpeg-1.jpg

SorcererDonald16

Wasn’t one reason the “Disney characters as Star Wars characters” appearances and merchandise stopped because Disney/LucasFilm supposedly wanted to “protect the integrity of the brand”? How the heck was that damaging to the brand but this “feels like a Star Wars brand knockoff” resort is considered acceptable by TPTB? :oops:

Like so many other things, they just don’t know when to stop. I fail to believe fans were asking for this kind of thing with no name characters and stuff done on the cheap, but once again it is a case of “We will tell you what you want, and you WILL love it!” They seem to have learned exactly squat from Galaxy’s Edge.

I am not a Star Wars superfan. Don’t watch the animated shows, don’t read the books or comics, don’t have a huge merchandise collection. I am a casual fan who grew up with the prequels and loves those characters, some of the OT characters, and Kylo/Ben due to his ties to the characters before him. I have enjoyed The Mandalorian and can’t wait for the Obi-Wan series. Give me the characters I *actually* love and a resort experience created around them, and I would book this one day in a heartbeat. This mess? Absolutely not.

The saddest thing to me is the free with admission Star Wars Weekends were some of the most fun I have ever had at WDW and actually made me a bigger Star Wars fan. Pretty sure this experience as it is would have the complete opposite effect on me. :(

yensidtlaw1969

Wasn’t one reason the “Disney characters as Star Wars characters” appearances and merchandise stopped because Disney/LucasFilm supposedly wanted to “protect the integrity of the brand”? How the heck was that damaging to the brand but this “feels like a Star Wars brand knockoff” resort is considered acceptable by TPTB? :oops:

Like so many other things, they just don’t know when to stop. I fail to believe fans were asking for this kind of thing with no name characters and stuff done on the cheap, but once again it is a case of “We will tell you what you want, and you WILL love it!” They seem to have learned exactly squat from Galaxy’s Edge.

I am not a Star Wars superfan. Don’t watch the animated shows, don’t read the books or comics, don’t have a huge merchandise collection. I am a casual fan who grew up with the prequels and loves those characters, some of the OT characters, and Kylo/Ben due to his ties to the characters before him. I have enjoyed The Mandalorian and can’t wait for the Obi-Wan series. Give me the characters I *actually* love and a resort experience created around them, and I would book this one day in a heartbeat. This mess? Absolutely not.

The saddest thing to me is the free with admission Star Wars Weekends were some of the most fun I have ever had at WDW and actually made me a bigger Star Wars fan. Pretty sure this experience as it is would have the complete opposite effect on me. :(
I consider myself someone who is all for Disney trying to push the boundaries of themed entertainment, and I really do believe that Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser are both committed and genuine efforts on that front. The biggest we've seen in years, really.

But I also think the time has more than come for Disney to take some serious stock and recognize that the approach they're taking with Star Wars in Walt Disney World is overall not working as they'd hoped.

Of this entire WDW Star Wars project, only Rise of the Resistance seems to have done the gangbusters business they intended. Lucky for them, Rise is perhaps the single most expensive element of the whole operation. But it's still only one slice of a very expensive pie.

They continue to take themselves and the property far too seriously to be actually entertaining. The authenticity is coming at the expense of fun. Which is heinous, because Star Wars CLEARLY has so much potential to BE fun. Just not the way they're executing it. Rise is practically the only noteworthy exception.

They seem to have learned nothing from the pre-Rise reception of GE in Disneyland and WDW, which is pretty baffling considering how big a wake-up call that should have been.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I consider myself someone who is all for Disney trying to push the boundaries of themed entertainment, and I really do believe that Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser are both committed and genuine efforts on that front. The biggest we've seen in years, really.

But I also think the time has more than come for Disney to take some serious stock and recognize that the approach they're taking with Star Wars in Walt Disney World is overall not working as they'd hoped.

Of this entire WDW Star Wars project, only Rise of the Resistance seems to have done the gangbusters business they intended. Lucky for them, Rise is perhaps the single most expensive element of the whole operation. But it's still only one slice of a very expensive pie.

They continue to take themselves and the property far too seriously to be actually entertaining. The authenticity is coming at the expense of fun. Which is heinous, because Star Wars CLEARLY has so much potential to BE fun. Just not the way they're executing it. Rise is practically the only noteworthy exception.

They seem to have learned nothing from the pre-Rise reception of GE in Disneyland and WDW, which is pretty baffling considering how big a wake-up call that should have been.
I don't think they understand what they bought (been said of other properties). The Star Wars thing is world wide and cultural. Authority vs rebel is ingrained since we were two year olds so it lives inside the fans. They "feel" the universe that Lucas brought together and it speaks to them, for Disney it is an IP to be worked to recoup 4B and fuel their other ventures. Disney has yet to produce parts of the story that feel as deep as the originals that Lucas made. They don't understand why Lucas spent years fleshing out the story and adding depth or what made it worth 4B to them.
Disney thinks the fans are stupid and will consume anything they slap the Star Wars brand to without a care, if it had the care and effort that Lucas drenched the galaxy in then it would be . It's night and day who the story teller is here

Last edited:

Patcheslee

I've seen several of his videos over the years and he's IMO a very fair and calm Star Wars fan (relatively compared to a lot of more...um...rabid sounding ones) , and as expected, he's right on the money.
After listening to him, I'm following lol. He has a very pleasant demeanor even when giving negative feedback. Definitely agree with what he's saying.

I've finally figured out what the bridge reminds me of: the themed suites in Greenwood Bret Michaels visited years ago :facepalm:
DSC_0339.jpg

TikibirdLand

Someone needs to tell this guy, "IT'S NOT A HOTEL!".
Seriously, this is the kind of hype I expected from the vloggers: Over the top with very little criticism - He didn't think the cabins were big enough and he didn't get to see the extending light saber. Other than that, it was FANTASTIC! :rolleyes:

doctornick

The irony IMHO is that I don't even think it would be too difficult to compliment what exists in GE to make it more appealing and better received. Start by just adding in the cut live entertainment - having regular appearances and fights on the platforms that were built for it. They basically did this in the Avengers Campus in DCA so it's not like it's a novel concept.

Then add in some droids. Put one or two AAs behind a barrier or on a second level where they can't be touched to add movement. Have some entertainment like "Push" where a droid roams controlled by a puppeteer - I know they had some issues with guests climbing on/damaging the test subject when tried so you just need to have a "friend" CM (the droid owner) who scowls and complains whenever anyone gets too near to avoid touching it.

Put in a speeder (or other vehicle) prop where people can sit in it and take photos like the old one that was across from Star Tours.

Have a preforming group come out and do periodic shows playing Star Wars songs. Most can be human, but have one or two be dressed up as an alien race.* Just like Epcot streetmosphere but in theme.

Add a proper meet and greet for R2-D2 and C-3PO (and BB-8). No reason this can't be consistent with the land timeline and it can be framed as meeting them to get a mission for the Resistance.

None of these are crazy expensive ideas but are the types of smaller things that the land needs. But what boggles my mind is that is that I felt sure these kinds of things would absolutely be found in the Starcruiser and... it's not clear they are. I'm baffled.

*I've suggested before as well that a CBJ style show should be the next attraction in GE where you have AAs of the Modal Nodes or the Max Rebo Band be "visiting on tour" to Batuu. Would be a way to integrate classic Star Wars music seamlessly into the land in a thematically appropriate way.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Agreed 100%. Also, I was thinking...like I believe DLP is getting...practically JUST a ROTR attraction without Batuu...at this point, would that have been such a bad thing? Batuu still feels "empty" to me for some reason. All of the "props" are there, a couple of characters, some food options, but something just feels like it's missing.

Piebald

couldn't we say the same thing about Pandora? Where are the Avatars walking around? We see foot prints. We see ONE in some kind of amniotic liquid in the queue of FOP but none outside. If you remember anything about the movie, there's really nothing to tie it to the movie. At the end of the day, it shares an example of an excellent ride and a meh ride. The only thing it misses is an Avatar hotel. I shouldn't be giving them ideas!
Not really. Avatar is not similar to Star wars because the catalog of characters in the former isnt...feasible. The aliens from that film are supposed to be 10 feet tall. They included them in the attractions wonderfully and short of having random military personnel wandering around it just doesnt work.

The lack of characters in GE is almost idiotic on the other hand. Especially good point about children kind of being ignored by most of the attractions and things to do there.

Piebald

Amazing that the hype train for this is derailing at at an alarming rate. This is the fandom that buys $20 action figures regularly, preorders plastic vehicles for over $300, assembles their own costumes with expensive materials and seems to have unlimited funds for whatever insane merchandise and experience it releases.

And yet, Disney seems to be letting them down. Perhaps they think the fandom is dumb and will just continue to pay regardless.

LadyPink

Can I just say. Reading everyone's post is more entertaining than this cruise. Have they revealed or talked about their mask policy? I found it interesting if Mask's are still in policy by March, will they have Mask free areas? If you think about it, you are essentially stuck inside the hotel for 2 to 3 days. Isn't the current research concluded COVID most likely occurs indoors? Are you able to leave the hotel to take a break outside and remove your mask? To get fresh air? Or guests can remove their mask in designated areas? But only put them on during schedule events? I'm really curious on their mask policy for this new hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom