News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ImperfectPixie

Professional actors complain about what the makeup does to their skin long term, potentially toxic absorption, application and the removal process. And they are usually getting paid way better than the average person. I can't imagine that is the case here. Just a normal sized premium to a normal sized salary. I'm sure it all seems cool on Day 1, but how long will these people want to keep playing this character vs rotating out after 6 months?
A blue character dressed all in blue.

How about a human? Or an animatronic? Or an alien that has skin that's the same color as humans but has gills or something (not full-coverage makeup)?

The sky was the limit.
And we got a blue character dressed all in blue. (Why not go with a white captain's style uniform...it would have looked at least more interesting!)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Professional actors complain about what the makeup does to their skin long term, potentially toxic absorption, application and the removal process. And they are usually getting paid way better than the average person. I can't imagine that is the case here. Just a normal sized premium to a normal sized salary. I'm sure it all seems cool on Day 1, but how long will these people want to keep playing this character vs rotating out after 6 months?

This is exactly why I said above that the bridge will likely be a small part of the experience instead of having that person in makeup etc. for hours and hours every day.

durangojim

Yeah - he's a great character and rumor is they're bringing him in for one of the new live action series (Boba Fett one?)
It'll be for the Ahsoka series. His books have been awesome and he was the main antagonist way back in the 1990s when Lucas allowed Timothy Zahn to write the first spin off books.

Incomudro

A blue character dressed all in blue.

How about a human? Or an animatronic? Or an alien that has skin that's the same color as humans but has gills or something (not full-coverage makeup)?

The sky was the limit.
And we got a blue character dressed all in blue. (Why not go with a white captain's style uniform...it would have looked less more interesting!)
Because blue means alien. Don't you get it?
It's so lame.
You're right, even a human character who looked like a cool and believable character the wasn't wearing Thomas the Train's "Mr. Conductor " costume would be more effective.

UNCgolf

It'll be for the Ahsoka series. His books have been awesome and he was the main antagonist way back in the 1990s when Lucas allowed Timothy Zahn to write the first spin off books.

That original Zahn trilogy is still the best overall Star Wars thing that's happened since the OT. It's better than any of the movies, shows, books, etc. since.

It certainly has some flaws, but I don't think anything else has captured the overall feel of Star Wars quite as well. Lucas would have been better off using them as the basis for a sequel trilogy in the 90s instead of filming the prequels.

Anyways, I'm sure they'll come up with backstories for all the characters they're creating for the Starcruiser and have them connected to things that happened in the movies or other books somehow.

Dragonman

There’s been spin off books since 1978 starting with Splinter of the Minds Eye.

durangojim

This sums up the Galactic Starcruiser
5wv6ut.jpg

hopemax

This is exactly why I said above that the bridge will likely be a small part of the experience instead of having that person in makeup etc. for hours and hours every day.
It's not the "hours and hours" that presents the biggest issues, as far as what people have said about doing it. It's the putting it on, taking it off, and the way their body is after several days on on/off. The removal especially, because the chemicals needed to do the removal can be worse than the makeup. Fewer hours doesn't change that part of it, although there will be some more minimal benefit because makeup is heavier than it seems.

This is different than normal costume where the "hours and hours" is a big problem, so fewer hours helps more. Maybe people will only be scheduled in this role, one cruise a week and at other times they play a human without body paint.

UNCgolf

It's not the "hours and hours" that presents the biggest issues, as far as what people have said about doing it. It's the putting it on, taking it off, and the way their body is after several days on on/off. The removal especially, because the chemicals needed to do the removal can be worse than the makeup. Fewer hours doesn't change that part of it, although there will be some more minimal benefit because makeup is heavier than it seems.

This is different than normal costume where the "hours and hours" is a big problem, so fewer hours helps more. Maybe people will only be scheduled in this role, one cruise a week and at other times they play a human without body paint.

The "hours and hours" matters for the pay. It costs a lot more to pay someone to be in that makeup for 8 hours a day than it would to be in it for one or two every other day.

I'm guessing the bridge will only be accessible a couple of times over the course of the "cruise". It's not going to be a thing where people can just wander in and check it out at 2 AM if they feel like it.

Last edited:

durangojim

That original Zahn trilogy is still the best overall Star Wars thing that's happened since the OT. It's better than any of the movies, shows, books, etc. since.

It certainly has some flaws, but I don't think anything else has captured the overall feel of Star Wars quite as well. Lucas would have been better off using them as the basis for a sequel trilogy in the 90s instead of filming the prequels.

Anyways, I'm sure they'll come up with backstories for all the characters they're creating for the Starcruiser and have them connected to things that happened in the movies or other books somehow.
Yeah, I was extremely excited that I got to meet and have my first edition prints of that trilogy (that I bought new when I was a teen) signed by Zahn at SW Celebration in 2019.

durangojim

Because blue means alien. Don't you get it?
It's so lame.
You're right, even a human character who looked like a cool and believable character the wasn't wearing Thomas the Train's "Mr. Conductor " costume would be more effective.
Does this also mean this is the lady who will be sitting at the upcharge Captain's table at dinner? I can just imagine how many kids will just stare all through the meal.

hopemax

Yeah, I was extremely excited that I got to meet and have my first edition prints of that trilogy (that I bought new when I was a teen) signed by Zahn at SW Celebration in 2019.
While going to the University of Washington, a couple of blocks from campus was a Wizards of the Coast Game Center (really dating myself, btw) they had a signing event with Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole (Rogue Squadron books). We got rid of most of the EU books, but we kept both of those series. When we moved to AZ, a guy in DH's board gaming group was in another gaming group with Michael Stackpole, and I would tease DH why couldn't he get invited to those games. Like that Big Bang Theory episode with the D&D game with Wil Wheaton, Bill Shatner, Kareem, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom