News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

Then don't set batuu in a particular narrative or better yet - don't make Batuu. Make Tatooine. Something we know and love. I am sooo glad Disney didn't get Harry Potter. Instead of the amazing and screen accurate Wizarding World of Harry Potter that actually features the places and characters from the films that we love, Disney would have made a generic wizarding town Voldemort visited once with wizards walking around we never heard of before. They dropped the ball on Star Wars soo hard. All they had to do was make a Star Wars themed hotel with characters from all the films walking around with activities from the movies and shows with a Darth Vader helmet shaped pool. Instead...they made this.
Too true. A Star Wars themed resort, yes! with a proper themed POOL would have done the job. A restaurant appropriately Star Wars themed with Star Wars character dining and photo ops. The possibilities for lobby, hallway and room designs have rich resources for inspiration from all the films. Ahhh and don't forget the gift shop. Yes, the commonsense approach would have been a Star Wars resort linked to Batuu via, say, land speeder would have been popular and appealing to a much broader audience. Disney would have made bank without the exorbitant pricing model.
P.S. The resort could have LARP experiences for those that want to participate.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Too true. A Star Wars themed resort, yes! with a proper themed POOL would have done the job. A restaurant appropriately Star Wars themed with Star Wars character dining and photo ops. The possibilities for lobby, hallway and room designs have rich resources for inspiration from all the films. Ahhh and don't forget the gift shop. Yes, the commonsense approach would have been a Star Wars resort linked to Batuu via, say, land speeder would have been popular and appealing to a much broader audience. Disney would have made bank without the exorbitant pricing model.
Exactly. That is all they had to do. How did they mess up this badly??!

Jae Sea

I would have been first in line to reserve this hotel had it been themed over actual Star Wars with Luke, Han and Leia running around and the threat of Vader being the protagonist. I would have even done it with Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme with Maul as the villain.
I wouldn't pay $100 for these trash Sequel trilogy characters that hardly anyone except the plebs care about. Imagine having 40 years of rich material to use and instead Kathleen Kennedy and her non-creative hires attempting to reinvent the wheel, leaving us with a flea market knockoff version of Star Wars.

And now Disney is extending her contract another 3 years....thanks for saving me $5k+.

Jae Sea

Coincidentally just watched this video today.
His conclusions were so similar to mine.
We both hope that we're wrong, and that there is amazing stuff being held back from reveal.
But it's not looking good.
What could they be holding back? We know the characters people love about Star Wars won't be there, just like in the dud Galaxys Edge that gets boring after about 20 minutes. Instead of characters people have a connection with, they gave us a resistance spy that most people ignore when they see her running around trying to be relevant.

They showed off the lightsaber training already, too, and that looks laughable. That was supposed to be their big thing with the hotel. I suppose they have a few months to change things up, but the only changes that will matter will be re-theming it to the original trilogy that people want.....and we both know Kathleen Kennedy's ego will never allow that to happen.

Jae Sea

Just trying to remain hopeful against the evidence.
Perhaps the view out of the bridge and cabin windows is amazing.
Highly realistic and full of depth.
Perhaps it feels like you are on a ship with sounds and vibration.
Perhaps the bar, lounge, and dining areas are fantastic.
Perhaps the light saber training is so much better than the clumsy footage we were shown.
Perhaps the live entertainment will be top notch.
These things better be true, because it's not looking good.

I agree with all of that, but none of that will make it more "star wars" without the main characters and setting of star wars episodes 1-6. Those things will just make it more "space 220".

WDW Pro

Are they still doing Mando/Grogu ? If so that’s a step in the right direction.

On a side note I had to lookup who Vi Moradi even is, I don’t see the appeal to meet another “oh look colourful hair” member of the Resistance after the whole Holdo/TLJ controversy. Tons of the background aliens in the films have more appeal than a random human.

They were supposed to have Mando and Grogu months ago, but everything has been slowed down by the pandemic. My understanding is that they have park-ready Grogu animatronics ready for meet and greets whenever the green light is given.

bubbles1812

And now, rebooked.

Try trotting out your agenda with facts and reality.
That’s not ever been his strong point. Remember when he said Frozen 2 wouldn’t make even a smidgen of what Frozen did? Good times…

Cancellations and rebookings aren’t a great shock and probably expected to some degree. Especially at this time, where there is so much in economic social and medical flux.

hosekiller

No. There was no "poor phrasing", it was crystal clear.
I disagree.

I’m not much of a Star Wars nerd, so I’ll leave it at this:

I get what the poster was trying to say, but I wouldn’t have worded it that way. Personally, I don’t see how one person single-handedly alienated an entire gender, but I also understand others may see it another way. But I must say that it’s pretty crazy to see the conversation spew out of control with rash accusations and misspelled four letter words…..I’d much rather people take a deep breath and fight back with rational conversation.

Like I said, I’m not much of a Star Wars nerd, but I found it interesting everything Kathleen has been involved in as well as how involved Marcia was in earlier episodes.

bubbles1812

I took the original comment as men in general would’ve done things different vs women in general. I agree with what I think the poster was intending to say, and don’t think the intent was to be sexist. Again, I think it was a poor choice of words that didn’t convey what was trying to be said most accurately. Either way……

mom a fan of the original trilogy. I liked 1-3 in that it provided a back story, but I wasn’t a fan of the movies. I really don’t like much of what came after episode 6, for a variety of reasons. My family and I enjoyed Star Wars land, but I hate hearing what was to be vs what came to be, and I just shake my head at the cruise. It would be interesting to delve into how the franchise evolved from start to now.
I would argue this is an inherently sexist statement. Star Wars is not a “boys only” property and never has been. There have been fangirls just as long as there have been fanboys.

It is this type of thinking that has resulted in that glass ceiling (among other factors) and such stupid stuff as Gamer Gate, ect. I’ve heard this “oh guys just understand it better” in subjects from sports, to movies, to books, ect. I’m a girl so I just can’t/don’t *get* it.

To say that a man would have done things differently (with the insinuation being they would do it better) just goes to show how much of this “men can do” thinking governs our underlying culture.

I’d hope you’d be able to understand why the women on this board might find this insulting. Because it was

hosekiller

I would argue this is an inherently sexist statement. Star Wars is not a “boys only” property and never has been. There have been fangirls just as long as there have been fanboys.

It is this type of thinking that has resulted in that glass ceiling (among other factors) and such stupid stuff as Gamer Gate, ect. I’ve heard this “oh guys just understand it better” in subjects from sports, to movies, to books, ect. I’m a girl so I just can’t/don’t *get* it.

To say that a man would have done things differently (with the insinuation being they would do it better) just goes to show how much of this “men can do” thinking governs our underlying culture.

I’d hope you’d be able to understand why the women on this board might find this insulting. Because it was
I get what you’re saying. But I don’t see the comment that way. Most people will agree that generally men and women see things differently, often in intangible or hard to define ways. Advertising for example exploits these differences all day, every day. Anyways, if you’re gonna make a general statement, I think it’s fair to say a woman would come up with a different product than a man and vice versa, for a variety of reasons. It’s a simple statement that could be discussed for days or weeks, but doesn’t imply, to me anyways, that either one is better or worse, just different.

Either way, the company has done what they’ve done, and we will see what we end up with. But it doesn’t look promising to me.

dothebrdwalk

I've said since Day 1 that a Star Wars Value/Moderate resort would do 10x the business this will ever do.

Wendy Pleakley

1) I wasn't the one who used a mis-spelled curse-word. 2) What he said was sexist...end of story. There are plenty of women out there who could have done a fabulous job with the Star Wars franchise, and to insinuate otherwise just because the person currently bungling it is female is wrong.

I've read a little bit (not enough, though) about Kathleen Kennedy's "producer" experiences under Lucas, and what I read did NOT give me confidence that she was capable of running an entire film division...let alone one as important as Star Wars is to the Disney Company. A female equivalent of Kevin Feige or Jon Favreau, she is not.

Misogynist comments about Kennedy aren't going to do anything to dispel the stereotype of sci-fi fans being social outcasts who live in their parents' basement.

I love how Kennedy is somehow to blame for anything Star Wars, but not, the males who are the ones who actually write and direct the movies.

Plus, she of course gets no credit for things people do like.

Didn't like Rise of Skywalker? It's Kennedy's fault, not JJ Abrams. Love the Mandalorian? That's all Dave Filoni, not Kennedy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom