News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MrPromey

That's actually my biggest issue with what I've seen so far. The lightsaber training and the bridge both look like they were designed for 10 year olds (or younger). Neither of them looked like anything that's going to move the needle for an adult.

There's nothing wrong with that in a vacuum -- having an area full of Star Wars themed kids activities would be a great addition to Galaxy's Edge -- but for $5000+ I'd expect something far better.

I assume there will be more impressive experiences that Disney hasn't shown, but I still don't understand who that video was really for.
This is my feeling, exactly.

I've done laser tag with my son a number of times starting when he was about 6 years old.

We have a blast. (pun intended)

You put the vests on, the guns shoot real lasers you can see - not just what appears to be white beams of light.

The indoor environment you play in has fog and strobe effects along with ramps and platforms and maze-like areas. It's way more exciting than the light saber training they showed off in that video appears to be and it's about $8 a head.

Sure, it doesn't have Star Wars in the name and I would normally expect the same experience at Disney with Start Wars in the name to be more like $50 a head but I still have a hard time understanding how what they showed of the lightsaber training showcases what they plan to offer for the money spent.

Same with that play area picture. My son loved the play area in the inside post-show/waiting area for Mission Space. Is it as elaborate as this looks to be? I'm sure not but for $5k less, I think it's probably elaborate enough for the majority of kids in the target age range.

All that said, I've yet to see them show anything that appears targeted to the "grownups".

Maybe that'll be the really elaborate stuff?

Disney has billed this as a major new premium experience. I'm still waiting for them to show some of the premium parts.

Last edited:

kingdead

Best case scenario is that this is what's supposed to keep the youngest kids busy while the grown folks are having their adventure. But I think you're supposed to get a high off the brand alone--because there's "Star Wars" on it the quality of the experience doesn't matter as much.

Patcheslee

Best case scenario is that this is what's supposed to keep the youngest kids busy while the grown folks are having their adventure. But I think you're supposed to get a high off the brand alone--because there's "Star Wars" on it the quality of the experience doesn't matter as much.
That's why we've decided against a Disney Cruise. With a 13yo that loves SW, and likes hanging out with younger kids (no siblings) she isn't impressed with the offerings for her age group with Disney Cruise. Sure they have a SW area, if you're young enough. I'm curious to know if this will be another limited ages area.

UNCgolf

All that said, I've yet to see them show anything that appears targeted to the "grownups".

You'd certainly hope so, and I understand why they'd want to keep that stuff under wraps as a secret for people who actually pay for the experience.

None of that explains why they thought this video was a good idea, though. I still think they would have been better off releasing no video at all instead of this.

Last edited:

MrPromey

see also: every Disney offering at WDW
Maybe but it feels like even the dock bungalows over the murky water of Seven Seas Lagoon by the ferry boats at the Polynesian probably have a better cost/benefit ratio than that play area given the context of where it is and what it costs to experience it.

Based on what they've shown, so far, it looks like the most impressive part of this experience is going to be the trip to "shore" that anyone with a Hollywood Studios ticket can experience and now for what? $15 and some luck, they can skip the line, too?

Mind you, there's a lot about this whole thing they haven't revealed like the "trip" to the star cruiser, the "trip" to the land from the resort and many other things that apparently aren't ready. They still have plenty of ways they could possibly impress.

I mean, it's all subjective but I've yet to see anything that would make me think this was worth half what they're charging so far.

That could change and I'm interested in the actual experience the first people who go have with it... but that video was comically bad for something released by the largest media company in the world featuring their most premium experience ever offered at the biggest single-entity tourist destination in the world, to me.

Last edited:

corran horn

Maybe but it feels like even the dock bungalows over the murky water of Seven Seas Lagoon by the ferry boats at the Polynesian probably have a better cost/benefit ratio than that play area given the context of where it is and what it costs to experience it.

Based on what they've shown, so far, it looks like the most impressive part of this experience is going to be the trip to "shore" that anyone with a Hollywood Studios ticket can experience and now for what? $15 and some luck, they can skip the line, too?

Mind you, there's a lot about this whole thing they haven't revealed like the "trip" to the star cruiser, the trip to the land from the resort and many other things that apparently aren't ready. They still have plenty of ways they could possibly impress.

I mean, it's all subjective but I've yet to see anything that would make me think this was worth half what they're charging so far.

That could change and I'm interested in the actual experience the first people who go have with it... but that video was comically bad for something released by the largest media company in the world featuring their most premium experience ever offered at the biggest single-entety tourist destination in the world, to me.

If the argument is "you could've used that money for college instead" the whole of the WDW experience falls into that realm. Cost is relative for everyone.

Someone boasted they'd rather do club level of Boardwalk. Personally that's just another hotel experience to me and I'd never pay a premium for it. If it's just a hotel I might as well be at the parks all day and I'd just be there to sleep.

I think this offers a level of immersion and it's certainly unique. We'll see.

MrPromey

If the argument is "you could've used that money for college instead" the whole of the WDW experience falls into that realm. Cost is relative for everyone.

Someone boasted they'd rather do club level of Boardwalk. Personally that's just another hotel experience to me and I'd never pay a premium for it. If it's just a hotel I might as well be at the parks all day and I'd just be there to sleep.

I think this offers a level of immersion and it's certainly unique. We'll see.
Dude - it was a joke that I thought had a pretty obvious point.

It's a play area. Of course kids are going to enjoy a play area.

That's why so many places have them.

The theme may be unique but a themed play area is hardly a unique experience.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Can't wait to hear real folks experiencers.

It todays InterWeb/Wifi/SmartPhone/Social Media environment, there will be plenty of content from actual folks and not cast members and influencers.

I know there will be folks that says it's great to justify the cost, but there will also be folks that will honestly show us the pluses and minuses.

Cesar R M

Don't those children know how unhappy they should be?!?!?!
Plot twist.. they had to undergo the Joker's chemical bath before they could apply to pose for Disney PR.
1637616736924.png

Cesar R M

This is my feeling, exactly.

I've done laser tag with my son a number of times starting when he was about 6 years old.

We have a blast. (pun intended)

You put the vests on, the guns shoot real lasers you can see - not just what appears to be white beams of light.

The indoor environment you play in has fog and strobe effects along with ramps and platforms and maze-like areas. It's way more exciting than the light saber training they showed off in that video appears to be and it's about $8 a head.

Sure, it doesn't have Star Wars in the name and I would normally expect the same experience at Disney with Start Wars in the name to be more like $50 a head but I still have a hard time understanding how what they showed of the lightsaber training showcases what they plan to offer for the money spent.

Same with that play area picture. My son loved the play area in the inside post-show/waiting area for Mission Space. Is it as elaborate as this looks to be? I'm sure not but for $5k less, I think it's probably elaborate enough for the majority of kids in the target age range.

Disney has billed this as a major new premium experience. I'm still waiting for them to show some of the premium parts.
I think you get a cupcake everytime you press the speed handle correctly.

You get an even better bonus if you get to LUDICROUS speed. aka a Plaid Jedi shirt.

Hows that for premium? 👍 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

MrPromey

I think you get a cupcake everytime you press the speed handle correctly.

You get an even better bonus if you get to LUDICROUS speed. aka a Plaid Jedi shirt.

Hows that for premium? 👍 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
My son would have a dozen cupcakes and a lumberjack shirt for every day of the week.

I'd have to bum a cupcake off him. 😒

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's why we've decided against a Disney Cruise. With a 13yo that loves SW, and likes hanging out with younger kids (no siblings) she isn't impressed with the offerings for her age group with Disney Cruise. Sure they have a SW area, if you're young enough. I'm curious to know if this will be another limited ages area.

The fact the kids of that age get to have time away from their parents and make friends at the clubs is exactly why you should be doing a cruise. The only caveat is depending on maturity, they may feel limited at 14 vs being in the vibe which is the next age up. We actually aged one of my kids up for that reason on one of our cruises to be in the vibe (late birthday, ahead in school, etc).

The kids love the independence and socializing - and it's a perfect environment to let your kid 'off the leash' a good bit to have freedom to do their own stuff on the boat.

MrPromey

I wasn't meaning to poke back to you nor thinking you poked at me. Just articulating my own personal reasons for going for it, for lack of a better term.
Sorry for taking that wrong - the internet and all (and me). :)

I just hope for you and the other early adopters that they're saving the best reveals for the end or for the live experience.

I honestly am interested in hearing the reviews from the first batch of paying* guests who do this.

*I say paying guest because I trust the early reviews of bloggers and media folks clearly just happy to be there for the sneak peak about as much as I trust a 6 year old who didn't have to pay their own way, reviewing that play area without context.

Last edited:

corran horn

I know my kids will love the lightsaber and bridge areas even as presented. Heck, I will too. We know next to nothing about the more immersive bits of 'story', and it will be interesting to me to temper my curiosity as things start leaking after the first wave of people and my fear of 'missing out' on something that we might not be 'onboard' for, as an example.

I imagine the itinerary-setting will do something to address that.

(heck, my kids are interesting in playing sabaac. I'm more of a pazaak guy.)

durangojim

You'd certainly hope so, and I understand why they'd want to keep that stuff under wraps as a secret for people who actually pay for the experience.

None of that explains why they thought this video was a good idea, though. I still think they would have been better off releasing no video at all instead of this.
I don’t think they want to keep it a secret becuase there’s people like me who were planning on dropping around 10k for this experience and the more I keep learning about the more it turns me off. You’d think Dosmey wants to get as much of my money as possible and the only way to do that is to preview something truly incredible, and waving a non telescoping toy saber at a flashlight beam ain’t it.

As an aside, what do guests who smoke do when they want to light up? I’m not a smoker but just wonder if that “courtyard” will become the designated smoking area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom