News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

jinx8402

Wendy Pleakley

So this opulent luxury cruiser is hundreds of years old? No wonder we need to cosplay as engineers, this ship is basically held together by galactic duct tape.

If the cruise ship is a repurposed military vessel that would explain why the ship is equipped for a fight, something a few people didn't think made sense. It would also explain why they weren't able to retrofit it to include a pool, just 'sayin.

I continue to wonder if pushing this so hard in the mainstream will cause backlash. It's something a great many people won't be able to access. Will people be upset because their kid read the comics, loves Star Wars, but is heartbroken when mom and dad can't afford to drop half a grand on a two-night event?

Hey everyone, here's a cool new one-of-a-kind only-at-Disney experience, but most of you will never get near it.

G00fyDad

If the cruise ship is a repurposed military vessel that would explain why the ship is equipped for a fight, something a few people didn't think made sense. It would also explain why they weren't able to retrofit it to include a pool, just 'sayin.

I continue to wonder if pushing this so hard in the mainstream will cause backlash. It's something a great many people won't be able to access. Will people be upset because their kid read the comics, loves Star Wars, but is heartbroken when mom and dad can't afford to drop half a grand on a two-night event?

Hey everyone, here's a cool new one-of-a-kind only-at-Disney experience, but most of you will never get near it.

I thought it was more like $1500 to $2000.

Wendy Pleakley

I thought it was more like $1500 to $2000.

1634315627660.png

lewisc

I have more of an issue with Disney running a vacation commercial showing the GF but showing the pricing for the all stars

LovePop

I don't do TAs because in general I want the flexibility of not having to rely on them and it's a past time. If it was just staying for this maybe, but our vacation would include a resort stay and such. I've been able to save a minimum $1k by comparing different dates in a month for previous vacations once all expenses are figured in.
They've already stated weekday and weekend pricing will be different, but by how much isn't widely available yet.
Same here, I don't do TAs either. It's fun to book trips myself, directly from Disney. They make it easy most of the time, and even in this case where it seems more difficult, it's still fun, even for me who is merely reading about it.

Speaking of difficulty, I called the main number this morning several times so far to get a resort confirmation. Each time, the system asked for my info and then said, thanks for calling, goodbye! And hung up on me. That's never happened before, I wonder if bookings for SWGS is causing problems with the rest of the phone system.

Even then, I rather deal with this myself.

LovePop

I think Disney's plan is for everyone to eat top ramen, shop at thrift stores, take public transportation and cut Christmas gifts for a year to save enough to pay for it. Most people can make it if they REALLY TRY.

lewisc

I think Disney's plan is for everyone to eat top ramen, shop at thrift stores, take public transportation and cut Christmas gifts for a year to save enough to pay for it. Most people can make it if they REALLY TRY.
No, call Chase and get your credit limit increased.

edited to add Years ago I read Disney's research said the average family visiting will make 1 or 2 trips in their lifetime and they don't care how much credit card debit is required.

Last edited:

corran horn

Most children will never get near WDW at all. Hasn't stopped Disney in the past. They run their commercials as if the only reason people don't go is because they don't know it's there.

Patcheslee

Most children will never get near WDW at all. Hasn't stopped Disney in the past. They run their commercials as if the only reason people don't go is because they don't know it's there.
To be honest I didn't notice till Mission:Space was featured on one of those Discovery/Travel Channel type shows about amusement parks. Being a space geek it got my attention.

Wendy Pleakley

The difference is it's being promoted on Disney's social media channels, and I assume the people that follow those are active customers of the theme parks.

They're directly marketing to existing customers, many of whom will be shut out.

To me, that's different than general advertising. There are ads for things people can't afford all the time, from vacations to high end cars.

SWGalaxys_Edge

The difference is it's being promoted on Disney's social media channels, and I assume the people that follow those are active customers of the theme parks.

They're directly marketing to existing customers, many of whom will be shut out.

To me, that's different than general advertising. There are ads for things people can't afford all the time, from vacations to high end cars.
Tell that to the month of March 2022 - almost sold out. Disney did the "Build it and they will come" model and it is working.

UNCgolf

Tell that to the month of March 2022 - almost sold out. Disney did the "Build it and they will come" model and it is working.

Of course it's almost sold out -- if it wasn't this thing would be one of the biggest disasters Disney has ever built. Yes, it's very expensive, but it's also tiny. It's not like being sold out means they've got 5,000 people headed there on a daily basis.

It'll be more interesting to see if it's sold out in March 2023 (or more realistically March 2027 or so) at the same price with no changes to the experience.

JoeCamel

Of course it's almost sold out -- if it wasn't this thing would be one of the biggest disasters Disney has ever built. Yes, it's very expensive, but it's also tiny. It's not like being sold out means they've got 5,000 people headed there on a daily basis.

It'll be more interesting to see if it's sold out in March 2023 (or more realistically March 2027 or so) at the same price with no changes to the experience.
It will be interesting to hear reports of the staffing levels. If they start pulling staff it may not be doing so well or they wanted to salt the mine with elevated levels the first few months to get the buzz up.

Wendy Pleakley

Huh?

I never suggested it wouldn't sell out or not be successful.

I was commenting on Disney having a high profile offering with broad appeal, that could cause some negative feelings because it's inaccessible due to price (and capacity).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom