Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi NO SPOILERS!!!!

Lora Baines Bradley

I think it will be more along the lines of how Green Day sold out and is no longer an Emo band.

To be fair, I enjoy their song "Bang Bang." Haven't listened to their new album except for that one song. I'm not really a Green Day fan, though. I enjoy their singles but that's about it (although "Wake Me Up When September Ends" drives me insane.)

lazyboy97o

From the impression I'm getting...I think you'll get one of the two.

I have a third:

Please, dear sweet baby Jesus, fill in the backstory as to WHY the winners of the war are broken, under equipped and destitute...my god...that's almost an AOTC sized hole that has to be filled.

Too much time? I'll remind everyone that Alec Guinness told the story of Vader Fall more eloquently in 90 second of Jedi than Lucas could do in 7 HOURS later.

Just use real, plain English and make it plausible. How do you win so badly and yet look like a Cold War era collapsed state?
The Resistance is not the New Republic. The Resistance is more like a paramilitary group that has taken it upon themselves to fight the First Order since the New Republic is not concerned about them and not fighting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Resistance is not the New Republic. The Resistance is more like a paramilitary group that has taken it upon themselves to fight the First Order since the New Republic is not concerned about them and not fighting.

But WHY??

Why a government that bled for the victory just to go pacifist and allow the threat to grown is insane not to explain. It's so juicy as backstory...

Our own history tells that...don't give the Sudetenland!! Did Madison yield Vermont and upstate New York in 1812? No! And if you do...there has to be a backstory. Deception, intrigue, tragedy...something.

Can't make a paramilitary organization WITHOUT a political story. We don't have to leave earth to find this.

And the whole "resistance", "first order" thing was a mistake. Nobody wanted to forget the original trilogy - just the prequels - didn't have to dump the labels.

I know they have written books about this...but you're not running Star Wars from the dwarf building and the presidio to serve geekdom. It's got to be done onscreen to strenghen the mythology to the masses. That's the smart move.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Am i alone in thinking Rouge 1 was a deeply disappointing movie ? Visually it was great but, the story went no-where as you knew the end result before the opening credits. It just seemed like a huge cash grab to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Am i alone in thinking Rouge 1 was a deeply disappointing movie ? Visually it was great but, the story went no-where as you knew the end result before the opening credits. It just seemed like a huge cash grab to me.

You're not alone...by far.

But R1 actually felt like it was made by someone who likes Star Wars to me...first time since jedi. Abrams made a movie that indicates he likes the MONEY of Star Wars...and we know iger and Kennedy are down wit dat...

Rogue one had a really forced daddy issue plot that they couldn't sell (it was too short...like TFA) and the speeches were bad/unbelievable. But it at least had flashes of Star Wars that stick with you...other than the snow ending of force awakens...notably the falcon coming in with Chewie...I got no tingle. They prepped a Luke reveal for 2:05 minutes...then did it.

Five year olds don't insist you write down to them, you know?...they'll watch the movie and buy the toys anyway...

MerlinTheGoat

I agree. And I actually wasn't even looking forward to it in the first place, went in with extremely low expectations. It still didn't meet what I expected.

I found the vast majority of the film (like 95-99%) pointless and boring. I would say only about 10 minutes of the entire thing entertained me. I liked Chirrut Imwe a lot, offering brief moments of wisdom or pulling off cool jedi-like feats. In spite of apparently not being force sensitive in the traditional sense, he seems to have a primal understanding of how the force works based on experience apparently working with jedi. Understanding that it flows through and guides even normal people (even if they can't feel or control it to nearly the same degree as force sensitives). He was the only new character I really liked. I also thought the Vader scene at the very end was spectacular and brutal.

Other than those scenes though (which again are less than 5% of the movie), I didn't like it at all. It failed to do something every other Star Wars movie has done- entertain me. Though Rogue One was more competently made (including the writing and acting) as a movie, it lacked entertainment value to me. The prequels had plenty of entertainment value despite their stupidity, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There seem to be some disconnect between critics and die hard fans. A few youtube reviews from sw fanatics are not just angry but livid. I don't believe all the negativity due to critics many times get it right and so far the critics mostly enjoy it, and I know one person who has seen it themselves. While they do have a few complaints they still thought the movie was alright and much better then episodes one and two.

Kinda a low bar, isn't it?

1 and 2 were disasters...and still can't be excused really at all.

I'll know in about 20 hours...

Lora Baines Bradley

I’ve accidentally stumbled upon some leaks and spoilers, including 20 seconds of a climatic scene. They’ve only made me more excited. I wasn’t spoiled for R1 or TFA, and I enjoyed both of those immensely. It’ll be interesting to see how I’ll feel knowing how some parts go.

Friday at 11:30 AM is when I finally see the film I’ve been waiting 2 years for. I’ve theorized, read countless metas, looked at thousands of fanarts...it’s finally happening. I’m so excited.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve accidentally stumbled upon some leaks and spoilers, including 20 seconds of a climatic scene. They’ve only made me more excited. I wasn’t spoiled for R1 or TFA, and I enjoyed both of those immensely. It’ll be interesting to see how I’ll feel knowing how some parts go.

Friday at 11:30 AM is when I finally see the film I’ve been waiting 2 years for. I’ve theorized, read countless metas, looked at thousands of fanarts...it’s finally happening. I’m so excited.

I know the entire story and honestly it sounds mostly perfect to me...

But I'll Be honest it's getting a lot of fan internet outrage...much moreso than the critics...overnight after the UK opening..

The problems is in some people's "stars" it seems...and i fear the comments above lead you there too...

You have to remember what Star Wars is - a mass market modern fairy tale where hope endures - and what it is NOT - the EU, or complex study into the psychological dynamic of the villians

From what I see: people are mad because they don't go into the rabbit holes to flesh out characters that disney has no need or desire ever to...and I don't think that fits Star Wars either...

It has to be "great again"...no pun intended.

sedati

I just saw it as well. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of these movies, I find my first viewing to be my worst. I went in with no spoilers and had only seen the trailer, so this movie fought a lot against my own expectations. It usually takes me a second viewing to actually see the movie for what it actually is.

If I had to sum this up in the most non-spoilery way possible it would be to say that this film hammers home the point that no one really knows anything. Pretty much every character starts out full of conviction and very set in their ways only to have that literally thrown in their face. This is very much a middle chapter, and does feel like a part of a bigger whole.

Still collecting my thoughts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just saw it as well. Unfortunately, as is the case with most of these movies, I find my first viewing to be my worst. I went in with no spoilers and had only seen the trailer, so this movie fought a lot against my own expectations. It usually takes me a second viewing to actually see the movie for what it actually is.

If I had to sum this up in the most non-spoilery way possible it would be to say that this film hammers home the point that no one really knows anything. Pretty much every character starts out full of conviction and very set in their ways only to have that literally thrown in their face. This is very much a middle chapter, and does feel like a part of a bigger whole.

Still collecting my thoughts.

I didn't read a thing about 7 before I went in....so i decided not to do that this time.

Star Wars is so interwoven into my childhood and the collective pop culture over the last 40 years that it's never gonna be JUST a movie...so I'd rather just hear if it's terrible.

If I want to see a no attachment. Terrible movie...I'll watch fast and the furious 31

Lora Baines Bradley

I know the entire story and honestly it sounds mostly perfect to me...

But I'll Be honest it's getting a lot of fan internet outrage...much moreso than the critics...overnight after the UK opening..

The problems is in some people's "stars" it seems...and i fear the comments above lead you there too...

You have to remember what Star Wars is - a mass market modern fairy tale where hope endures - and what it is NOT - the EU, or complex study into the psychological dynamic of the villians

From what I see: people are mad because they don't go into the rabbit holes to flesh out characters that disney has no need or desire ever to...and I don't think that fits Star Wars either...

It has to be "great again"...no pun intended.

I haven't looked at the general fanbase reaction yet, because I know I'll get completely spoiled if I do, but the Reylo community (which I am a part of) is very happy with this film. We weren't expecting much but Rian Johnson blessed us, from what I hear :angelic: And I'm not a EU fan, either. I get so annoyed when people bring up the EU as an excuse to bash the ST. I just want a good story. Star Wars is a fairytale and has a message of hope, and what better message of hope than Kylo Ren's redemption?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom