Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi NO SPOILERS!!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seeing it with my parents on Friday. When we went to see Rogue One last year, we arrived a little too late (still 10 minutes before the trailers started though) and couldn’t get seats together. I ended up sitting with my mom, and my dad sat elsewhere.... and they both fell asleep. My dad wants to see it at 7:15 on Friday, and despite my concerns that he’ll fall asleep again, he said that we’re getting there earlier so I can keep both of them awake. If you say so, Dad. :rolleyes:

The Wall Street Journal has a review that actually mentions some plot details that I think were pretty unknown. CNN’s review of the film wasn’t great. They said it’s closer to Attack of the Clones than Empire. :oops: Both reviewers think that the movie is too long and drags in the middle.

Well since I spent the last 2 hours reading review and watching MLB trade rumors (becoming an annual thing)...I'm happy to say that the cnn review seems to be the biggest oddball of the bunch. The only mainstream review other than than that wasn't effusive was variety and they weren't too terrible.

The reviews look really good. Variety threw out a MAJOR character leak. Be warned and read at your own peril. (The spoiler...by the way...will likely lead to soiled pants, tears, jumping from seats...or all 3)

Here's where I have confidence with excellent reviews:
Roeper (Chicago)
Travers (rolling stone)
All the New York papers including WSJ
philly
San Fran
La times
Washington post (the real paper)
Hollywood reporter
USA Today
Entertainment

...that's a lot of bristly critics to have on your side.

My caveat is that they all said a lot of stuff pretty similar about the last one...and that was just a reset that didn't "screw it up" like Lucas did. That's not enough for the critical praise...abrams using common sense and old story elements and not trying anything really new. Anyone could do that.

If hamill is good...this movie will be. Simple as that. And I hear one much maligned character is excellent. No names give away

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm wondering if there are two versions of the movie being reviewed. While many suggest "breathtaking shocks and plot twists", others, such as Cary Darling of the Houston Chronicle say:

:confused:

That review doesn't match ANY of the 20 or so I've read...not one bit. It's suck service to the master of reboots...it seems.

Tried to watch force awakens again last night...fell asleep...again.

Bout my 15th attempt...never have nodded off during rogue one...just saying.

Last edited:

Lora Baines Bradley

The Wall Street Journal has a review that actually mentions some plot details that I think were pretty unknown. CNN’s review of the film wasn’t great. They said it’s closer to Attack of the Clones than Empire. :oops:

Attack of the Clones could have been a really good film. The plot was solid, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Definitely the film I watch when I want a laugh.

Tick Tock

That review doesn't match ANY of the 20 or so I've read...not one bit. It's suck service to the master of reboots...it seems.

Tried to watch force awakens again last night...fell asleep...again.

Bought my 15th attempt...never have nodded off during rogue one...just saying.
I've watched Rogue One more times than I'm willing to admit. Yet every time I feel like a kid again getting introduced to the awesomeness that is Star Wars. That movie (especially the last 45-min of it), has spoiled me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the difference can be summed up as Star Wars fans vs Movie critics.

I know which faction I belong to so I am looking forward to my Thursday night.:)

I'm an original geek fan of Star Wars and ONLY Star Wars...for the most part...spent childhood on athletic fields, not in a space catelog...

But I can't identify with a lot of "Star Wars fans" anymore because they lack basic comment sense/self respect in this way:
Any defense of the prequels or the mess of merchandise required EU stuff after 1993 till Georgie took his toys and went home is completely unacceptable.

My take is full admission of guilt/embarrassment as a fan...and insistence on quality to fix it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've watched Rogue One more times than I'm willing to admit. Yet every time I feel like a kid again getting introduced to the awesomeness that is Star Wars. That movie (especially the last 45-min of it), has spoiled me.

...boom...

I'm buying the beer at a WDW resort bar/lounge of your choice if our paths should cross...

As far as what's "real Star Wars" in rogue one...it's the Death Star firing sequence and Raddus's line...and the fact they LOSE the battle in tactical terms.

That is the essence of Star Wars to me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Attack of the Clones could have been a really good film. The plot was solid, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Definitely the film I watch when I want a laugh.

One of the worst written/acted movies of all time with the biggest dead end plot point I think I've ever seen...

And here's the scary part: a script doctor was brought in to HELP Lucas with it. Yikes.

It should have been carrie fisher...she could have slapped him up the side of the head and said, "what the HELL is this garbage? Start over again"

Lora Baines Bradley

One of the worst written/acted movies of all time with the biggest dead end plot point I think I've ever seen...

And here's the scary part: a script doctor was brought in to HELP Lucas with it. Yikes.

It should have been carrie fisher...she could have slapped him up the side of the head and said, "what the HELL is this garbage? Start over again"

Dead end plot point? I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean. I'm far from a prequel defender, but I do think the fall of Anakin Skywalker could have been done really well if the crew didn't treat George as some sort of god. The general plot- of him rising from a humble existence to a Jedi who falls to the dark side trying to protect the ones he loved -isn't a bad plot by any means. The Clone Wars TV series was a good example of showing how Anakin's fall could have been great.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dead end plot point? I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean. I'm far from a prequel defender, but I do think the fall of Anakin Skywalker could have been done really well if the crew didn't treat George as some sort of god. The general plot- of him rising from a humble existence to a Jedi who falls to the dark side trying to protect the ones he loved -isn't a bad plot by any means. The Clone Wars TV series was a good example of showing how Anakin's fall could have been great.

The clone wars doesn't excuse the sins of the father...I love it...but part of that is it "not sucking"

And why the heck was there an army?!!! And why the heck would 4th dimension all seeing wizards use it without any questions asked?

That is the worst, most significant plot hole I have ever seen. And this was AFTER the immaculate conception nonsense in the movie prior.

Clone wars did and episode on it...ok...but it doesn't offset on Cartoon Network.

And the gladiator arena was also so damaging that I think it set the human race back 20 years...just wretched ideas and computer vomit on film.

I need a drink.

Tick Tock

If done right, this movie can easily right some wrongs in TFA, and actually make me like TFA better when certain things are explained.

For instance:

1. This is the main one for me, but I sincerely hope they explain how & why Rey was so gosh darn perfect in TFA. Left abandoned on a planet as a scavenger, yet can easily pilot a ship, speak multiple languages, and is highly skilled in Force trickery & lightsaber combat without any training. All these things made it appear as if Disney went overboard in perfecting this character, and as a result made her less appealing and more of a "Mary Sue". This can be corrected in TLJ with explanation as to why she was nearly perfect from the get-go. I'm curious as to the backstory behind this.

2. How Snoke is so aware of all the happenings in the OT, yet was nowhere to be seen back during those events. There has to be a rational explanation for this, not just a "pop out of nowhere" villain.

Here's hoping we get some answers to this.

Lora Baines Bradley

The clone wars doesn't excuse the sins of the father...I love it...but part of that is it "not sucking"

And why the heck was there an army?!!! And why the heck would 4th dimension all seeing wizards use it without any questions asked?

That is the worst, most significant plot hole I have ever seen. And this was AFTER the immaculate conception nonsense in the movie prior.

Clone wars did and episode on it...ok...but it doesn't offset on Cartoon Network.

And the gladiator arena was also so damaging that I think it set the human race back 20 years...just wretched ideas and computer vomit on film.

I need a drink.

I agree with you- I'm not trying to discount your points. The army out of nowhere was bad writing. The Jedi Order in AOTC just sucked, in general.

I will admit, I do enjoy the gladiator arena scene, if only because we get one of my favorite Obi-Wan lines. "Then we decided to come and rescue you." "...Good job." (Say what you will about the prequels, but Ewan as Obi-Wan is a gem.) The CGI has not held up well, and the dialogue is cheesy and so is the plot. I have fond memories of watching it, though, when I was younger. It was the introductory SW film for me. Keep in mind I was only 11 or 12, and thought every film was great. AOTC still has some nostalgia for me (I remember playing Battlefront maps on Geonosis, and the gladiator scene in Lego Star Wars was always my favorite), although about 2 years ago I had a
Star Wars party and we watched it and laughed hysterically the entire time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If done right, this movie can easily right some wrongs in TFA, and actually make me like TFA better when certain things are explained.

For instance:

1. This is the main one for me, but I sincerely hope they explain how & why Rey was so gosh darn perfect in TFA. Left abandoned on a planet as a scavenger, yet can easily pilot a ship, speak multiple languages, and is highly skilled in Force trickery & lightsaber combat without any training. All these things made it appear as if Disney went overboard in perfecting this character, and as a result made her less appealing and more of a "Mary Sue". This can be corrected in TLJ with explanation as to why she was nearly perfect from the get-go. I'm curious as to the backstory behind this.

2. How Snoke is so aware of all the happenings in the OT, yet was nowhere to be seen back during those events. There has to be a rational explanation for this, not just a "pop out of nowhere" villain.

Here's hoping we get some answers to this.

From the impression I'm getting...I think you'll get one of the two.

I have a third:

Please, dear sweet baby Jesus, fill in the backstory as to WHY the winners of the war are broken, under equipped and destitute...my god...that's almost an AOTC sized hole that has to be filled.

Too much time? I'll remind everyone that Alec Guinness told the story of Vader Fall more eloquently in 90 second of Jedi than Lucas could do in 7 HOURS later.

Just use real, plain English and make it plausible. How do you win so badly and yet look like a Cold War era collapsed state?

MerlinTheGoat

Heard somewhere that someone spotted the soundtrack for sale at EPCOT (don't know what store or kiosk, Mousegear maybe?).
sfel68zs5l301.jpg

Incidentally I will say regarding the prequel trilogy something that may be controversial. While by no means a GOOD series of movies (Revenge of the Sith was arguably the closest thing there), I was entertained by them all. I also actually feel the underlying plots were conceptually solid and could have been great had it not been for the poor script and dialog. I think it would be possible to salvage them, but still maintain the same basic chain of events. Some characters would need to be rewritten (child Anakin, who I feel should have taken cues from the kid from the Sixth Sense, and incidentally could have been great with that actor as well) with a few characters being completely changed (Jar Jar and the Gungans). But I do think there was potential for something fantastic with the base storyline had they gotten a better screenwriter and director involved. And less unnecessary CGI with more practical scenery. Though I will still admit to having been entertained by them, even if a fair amount of that entertainment was laughing at how stupid they could be. If others legitimately can't stand them, that's fine. But for me personally, I can tolerate the stupidity, sometimes enjoy it. And occasionally even see greatness shining through.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom