Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi NO SPOILERS!!!!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Well, with Rogue One out of the way, I figured that it would be a good time to have an Episode 8 thread to discuss the film. I'm super excited for it!

But Carrie Fisher's recent passing has me wondering how they'll handle Leia's story arch in Episode 8 (if they change anything at all) and how this affects Episode 9.

Also, as for title for the film, I've heard two rumored possibilities:
1. Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
- In my opinion, this sounds to similar to the Force Awakens
2. Star Wars: Echoes of the Dark Side

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

While I don't have any substantial speculation on the Episode VIII title, I'm going to guess that they will continue with the naming scheme.

A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens - all kind of nebulous titles of an unseen driving force (that you don't 100% get until the end of that triliogy)
The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones - both a pulpy description of a direct action by named group
Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith - both indicating the personal actions of a few that change the status quo in the galaxy

So ... Episode VIII will likely be something like "Crusade of the Resistance" or "The First Order Battles On"

Wendy Pleakley

She was done filming last June. Rumor is she wasn't scheduled to be in Episode 9. Laura Dern's character was suppose to take leadership away from her.

Everything I've seen suggests she was going to be in Episode 9.

I imagine they may do some tweaks to Episode 8. There may be story points that other characters can carry on with. If they end with Kylo Ren redeeming himself they could have something like a long-distance shot of him reuniting with Leia.

If something happens, like we find out Rey was her daughter all along, towards the end of the film, they may have to excise that story point as how do you continue it without Carrie Fisher?

Whatever happens, seeing her as Leia one last time will be wonderful yet bittersweet.

tribbleorlfl

She was done filming last June. Rumor is she wasn't scheduled to be in Episode 9. Laura Dern's character was suppose to take leadership away from her.
I had heard similar rumors about Leia's involvement in EP VIII, that she either is captured or goes into hiding and Dern's character takes over in the New Republic/Resistance. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Fisher has 2 main scenes but was primed to have a much bigger role in Ep XI. That's why Disney took out, and will now be making a claim on, an insurance policy on her 3-film contract.

In the end, there are only 4 ways to go with her character in Ep XI and 2 of them involve likely reshoots to Ep VIII.

1) She rides off into the sunset to permantly retire from politics and conflict. This doesn't seem her style, especially in the midst of a major war w/ the FO and her son killing her husband. Would be a poor send-off gor the character and the actress who made her iconic.
2) She dies either at the end of Ep VIII, inbetween VIII and XI or at the beginning of XI. All could be done via say having her ship destroyed and not actually showing her, but would this be to on-the-nose a year after the actress's passing?
3) Recast. Think this could would be too much pressure for whoever would replace Carrie in the role.
4) Pull a Tarkin/ANH Leia CGI recreation. This could be the best option, especially if it's limited and only used to send iff the character. In the Business Insider article I linked to, though, an ILM executive stated they weren't planning on using this technology much going forward.

Phroobar

I don't think the new Han Solo spinoff movie needs any CG recreations of characters. I do hope Temuera Morrison plays Boba Fett in that movie. I love that guy!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...how-star-wars-will-handle-leias-future-960849

Carrie Fisher's Dec. 27 death has left a disturbance in the Force. Her iconic Princess Leia is set to appear in the next two Star Wars films, and insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that at least two key scenes are planned for Episode VIII (Dec. 15) and Episode IX (2019): a Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), her son who killed Harrison Ford's Han Solo in 2015's The Force Awakens.

Details of where those scenes fit into the movies remain unclear, but insiders say Leia was to have been a bigger part of Episode IX than VIII. Episode VIII director Rian Johnson has finished shooting, but Episode IXdoesn't have a start date; both Force Awakens and Episode VIII began production at the beginning of a year so it is very likely that Episode IX will begin shooting in early 2018 for a December 2019 release. And the status of its script, being written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, is unknown. (Disney won't comment.)

More in the article -

TyTrap

Since I can't find a rebels chat and also want to talk about episode viii I have two things to say.

1. What is everyone's thoughts on Snoke being brought to life by a puppet with 8 puppeteers? Personally I think this is excellent and can't wait to see what exactly ILM cooked up.

2. Let me preface this by saying I like Star Wars Rebels but I feel this storyline with darth maul flying to Tattooine to get his revenge on obi wan could've been saved for an obi wan anthology film. Would've been the perfect story for said film now what kind of antagonist could you have in an obi wan anthology film that would make sense?

WhatJaneSays

1. What is everyone's thoughts on Snoke being brought to life by a puppet with 8 puppeteers? Personally I think this is excellent and can't wait to see what exactly ILM cooked up.
It gives me hope that Snoke's stature or structure is beyond what you would be able to accomplish with just an actor in prosthetics and a suit. I love the idea that they're trying something more physically there than a pure CGI character; and that he'll be more substantial part in the story.

2. Let me preface this by saying I like Star Wars Rebels but I feel this storyline with darth maul flying to Tattooine to get his revenge on obi wan could've been saved for an obi wan anthology film. Would've been the perfect story for said film now what kind of antagonist could you have in an obi wan anthology film that would make sense?
While I've been campaigning for an Obi-Wan movie since before the Disney buyout, I feel that the whole Darth Maul thing needs to run it's course in the animated universe. Partly because I just want the Maul thing to be finally over and it doesn't make sense or seem fair to take that conclusion out of world that built it up, both in tone and style. And partly because I think something more like "secret agent" Obi-Wan would be more appropriate for his post-Ep III life, and a big vs. ending with Maul doesn't fit with that very well.

Really we'll have to see how the whole Rebels thing shakes out and what part Obi-Wan might yet still have in Ep VIII and IX. (Seriously Lucasfilm, get Ewan McGregor on contract while he's still keen.)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
upload_2017-1-23_11-6-32.png

Jahona

Enough with The Last Jedi. I want more Jedis. Brief conversation at work some of my coworkers were thinking that just like the Sith have gone away so might the Jedi. There is going to be more of a Good vs Bad force users than an organized religion.

tk924

After TFA really being ANH2.0, I have reserved excitement for "The Last Jedi".

And why are the words "STAR WARS" in red instead of yellow?
Are they trying to infer the tone of this one?
Will TLJ be TESB2.0?

o_O

tk924

Luke is referred to as the Last Jedi in TFA title crawl.

"Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister first order has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom