Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

erasure fan1

A trilogy that divides fans isn’t inherently bad. Same for a singular film. Yet, for some dumb reason, people piggyback on the idea that divisive means bad, which is not any sort of truth.
Agreed. Divisive doesn't necessarily equal bad. But that wasn't the plan Disney had for the star wars sequels. So you might not think it was a bad thing, but at best it was a gross miscalculation.

Wendy Pleakley

I agree. That's what a lot of us are saying. The way this trilogy was executed was baffling to say the least. Everything you just said supports the, its not fatigue, just poor execution, argument and why people are unhappy with Kennedy. I think we agree more than you think we do.

I've offered many criticisms of these films, including that it was a mistake to kill Luke in TLJ. I still think fatigue is a factor. The novelty of new Star Wars is a big reason TFA was a monster hit despite playing things very safe. It doesn't come down to just one factor. I also think people are overstating the degree to which some of the movies under-performed, as part of an obsession to be "correct" in their opinions of them.

Wendy Pleakley

Agreed. Divisive doesn't necessarily equal bad. But that wasn't the plan Disney had for the star wars sequels. So you might not think it was a bad thing, but at best it was a gross miscalculation.

Nobody "plans" for a movie to be divisive. Making a movie that everyone likes is this mythical idea that just isn't as easy as some people think.

As I've said, the more fans clamour for crowd pleasing Star Wars films, the more likely we'll get safe movies like The Force Awakens.

erasure fan1

I also think people are overstating the degree to which some of the movies under-performed, as part of an obsession to be "correct" in their opinions of them.
Solos performance isn't understated at all and rise barely passing Rouge one isn't understated either. It should have done significantly more.
Nobody "plans" for a movie to be divisive. Making a movie that everyone likes is this mythical idea that just isn't as easy as some people think.
I'm not so sure about that. Last jedi made choices they had to know would not go over well. If not, then that is another strike against Kennedy not being suitable for star wars creatively. Heck Mark Hamill told them in production it wouldn't go over well and they told him to shove it and pressed on. You can't please everyone, I agree. And that shouldn't be the goal. But the middle part of your saga was not the time to turn things on its head.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Solos performance isn't understated at all and rise barely passing Rouge one isn't understated either. It should have done significantly more.

I'm not so sure about that. Last jedi made choices they had to know would not go over well. If not, then that is another strike against Kennedy not being suitable for star wars creatively. Heck Mark Hamill told them in production it wouldn't go over well and they told him to shove it and pressed on. You can't please everyone, I agree. And that shouldn't be the goal. But the middle part of your saga was not the time to turn things on its head.
The underperformance of these movies has been gigantic - frankly.

It’s hard to have an intelligent dialogue - even if opinions vary - without a common acceptance of this. It’s fact - not opinion.

And the box of the farce awakens has now been exposed as completely inappropriate. It was not a quality film at all either standalone or definitely within the context of its franchise...and has basically caused a trickle down effect for Star Wars ever since.

Uncreative people wrote and approved a bland reboot. And reboots can work in Hollywood...but in retrospect it was the last thing Star Wars needed.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

I thought it was great throughout. Probably my favorite SW release post 1980's. I thought the slow burn, character build worked, and the final act simply was extra icing on the cake.
They are just being silly now and trolling. Rogue One is The Godfather compared to the lame, retread Disney Saga and the characters were great.

I would rather see an entire spinoff series about the blind Asian Jedi Chirrut Imwe than have to ever see Rose Tico again. One was compelling and one was idiotic. Sums up the movies in a nutshell.

Wendy Pleakley

They are just being silly now and trolling. Rogue One is The Godfather compared to the lame, retread Disney Saga and the characters were great.

I would rather see an entire spinoff series about the blind Asian Jedi Chirrut Imwe than have to ever see Rose Tico again. One was compelling and one was idiotic. Sums up the movies in a nutshell.

If you truly think differing opinions on a movie constitute trolling, then you are lost.

rowrbazzle

Easiest thing they could’ve done was make it so Luke doesn’t disappear at the end of TLJ and show more training with him and Rey in RoS since they knew Carrie was gone and couldn’t be used effectively. Luke simply not dying after the Force projection wouldn't have altered anything about what certain people liked about that movie. Then just have a big battle in the beginning of IX where Leia dies.

I could see that, though I do think him dying made it a more meaningful action. It's a bigger consequence for him. It's one thing to join the fight when you know you might die in battle; it's another to join when death is a certainty.

In a world with force ghosts, there's no reason Luke couldn't have been featured more prominently in 9. Treverrow's draft showed just that.

That's what they did in Empire and it's widely considered the best of the Star Wars movies.

I think Disney is supposed to trust Kennedy and Johnson over Hamill. Their bonafides in terms of making quality movies were unquestioned. You have to trust the people you hire. And, not for nothing, but I saw a blurb the other day noting that this (Luke's character) was the plan from early on with both Abrams and Lucas involved.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's what they did in Empire and it's widely considered the best of the Star Wars movies.

I think Disney is supposed to trust Kennedy and Johnson over Hamill. Their bonafides in terms of making quality movies were unquestioned. You have to trust the people you hire. And, not for nothing, but I saw a blurb the other day noting that this (Luke's character) was the plan from early on with both Abrams and Lucas involved.

No...just no...

You just can’t equate what they shot in 1979 with the goals and motives of 2016...

And it shows in the final product. It’s so much easier to shoot movies now with technology that they forget the hard work was always the characters and the stories. That’s where the legacy is made. Prequels and then Disney did the same DAMN thing.

Amazing mistakes - if you think about it. Episode 8 is just unwatchable...a mess of bad ideas and audience offensive caliber misdirection.

I wish disney hadn’t even bothered to buy and make these...to be honest. Some things apparently are best left in the past. That’s my takeaway.

Tony Perkis

Trolling for having an opinion that conflicts with yours?

Grow up.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I think Disney is supposed to trust Kennedy and Johnson over Hamill. Their bonafides in terms of making quality movies were unquestioned. You have to trust the people you hire.
They didn't turn things on its head in empire. Twists are not the same thing. Sure it was darker but that is common for a middle chapter.

As far as trusting the people you hire. They did trust Kennedy but who was right? Hamill was. I'm not saying let the inmates run the asylum, but consulting with the front line is not a bad thing.

rowrbazzle

They didn't turn things on its head in empire. Twists are not the same thing. Sure it was darker but that is common for a middle chapter.

As far as trusting the people you hire. They did trust Kennedy but who was right? Hamill was. I'm not saying let the inmates run the asylum, but consulting with the front line is not a bad thing.

I guess I don't know what you mean by the phrase then. I can't imagine many people thought Empire was going to end up where it did. One main character is frozen and who knows what's going to happen there. Another finds out that his dad is the evil villain...and also gets his hand chopped off by said dad.

They consulted with Lucas and apparently he thought their plan for Luke was good. You can't get more front line than that. Hamill may have been right that some fans wouldn't like it, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. He also came out later and said he was wrong. Do we only accept his original concerns?

My opinion is that you should generally let people do what they're hired to do. Hamill's opinion should be considered, but even he says that it's the director's vision that wins out. Sometimes it's more successful than others, but I think it's a better process than whatever mess Disney wound up doing in the end.

Wendy Pleakley

I guess I don't know what you mean by the phrase then. I can't imagine many people thought Empire was going to end up where it did. One main character is frozen and who knows what's going to happen there. Another finds out that his dad is the evil villain...and also gets his hand chopped off by said dad.

They consulted with Lucas and apparently he thought their plan for Luke was good. You can't get more front line than that. Hamill may have been right that some fans wouldn't like it, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. He also came out later and said he was wrong. Do we only accept his original concerns?

My opinion is that you should generally let people do what they're hired to do. Hamill's opinion should be considered, but even he says that it's the director's vision that wins out. Sometimes it's more successful than others, but I think it's a better process than whatever mess Disney wound up doing in the end.

Right, where does it end when everyone has input into a movie? This goes back to this impossible notion of being able to please everyone. We've all got opinions on what we would have done differently, but my perfect ending to this trilogy would have been hated by some people. Many people continue to fail to grasp this simple concept, that their opinion on a movie is nothing more than their opinion. There is no definitive answer as to whether or not a movie is "good".

Wendy Pleakley

Darn, was hoping it was the former and you were trolling - at least had some respect for that choice.

Oh, and you should check out Ghostbusters 2016, great flick, you’ll love it.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who hated the new Ghostbusters with a fiery passion before even seeing it.

Tony Perkis

Let me guess, you're one of those people who hated the new Ghostbusters with a fiery passion before even seeing it.
Also, where did Ghostbusters 2016 come from? Why is that the barometer for taste? I don’t think it’s very good, but it does have its fans.

What is it about that film that triggers a certain segment of people so much?

Mike S

Also, where did Ghostbusters 2016 come from? Why is that the barometer for taste? I don’t think it’s very good, but it does have its fans.

What is it about that film that triggers a certain segment of people so much?
I think it’s the terrible reaction online that sprang up because some people dared to have the audacity to say it didn’t look very good. Accusations of bigotry and misogyny were thrown and then there was no going back.

Really funny because now the shoe’s on the other foot with those same accusers making a stink about the new Ghostbusters ignoring the 2016 one but the 2016 “haters” are just excited for a movie that actually looks like what they were wanting from the start lol.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom