Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

lazyboy97o

TLJ is a strange movie to me it feels like maybe it should have been Episode IX and maybe TROS should have been VIII. Lots of things in TLJ feel very final. Snoke and Lukes death. Rey's parentage seemingly being revealed. The final duel between Rey and Ren. Introducing the idea of other Jedi / force users with broom kid etc.
Why is the broom kid always referenced as some sort of interesting new idea?

Mike S

It’s literally just the force can be found in anyone. I don’t get why people think that kid is an important character.
Which anyone who’s even paid the slightest attention to the prequels or any other media would’ve already known. Heck, even just seeing a trailer for that recent Jedi Fallen Order game clued you into this fact since it’s a completely new Jedi not related to any previous hero.

Rian did nothing special. People think it’s important because the talking point of “democratizing the Force” (whatever the hell that means) kept coming up again and again surrounding this movie and broom boy was at the center of it.

Tony Perkis

Which anyone who’s even paid the slightest attention to the prequels or any other media would’ve already known. Heck, even just seeing a trailer for that recent Jedi Fallen Order game clued you into this fact since it’s a completely new Jedi not related to any previous hero.

Rian did nothing special. People think it’s important because the talking point of “democratizing the Force” (whatever the hell that means) kept coming up again and again surrounding this movie and broom boy was at the center of it.

I don’t agree with this. There were so many people asking who Rey’s parents were and why each force sensitive person is related to someone famous. Making Rey a no one and the force kid a rando was clearly a calculated risk.

lazyboy97o

Which anyone who’s even paid the slightest attention to the prequels or any other media would’ve already known. Heck, even just seeing a trailer for that recent Jedi Fallen Order game clued you into this fact since it’s a completely new Jedi.

Rian did nothing special.
The Jedi and the Force after the Republic are very inconsistent in Star Wars. People who were alive for Order 66 act as though it happen centuries earlier. Even just recently in The Mandalorian, the Armorer refers to the Jedi as ancient but Mando was apparently orphaned during the Clone Wars when Jedis were running around all over the place.

erasure fan1

I don’t agree with this. There were so many people asking who Rey’s parents were and why each force sensitive person is related to someone famous. Making Rey a no one and the force kid a rando was clearly a calculated risk.
Nobody was asking why each force sensitive person was related to someone famous. Because everyone knows that isn't the case. It was never implied that obiwan or mace, Quigon... had special lineage. In fact they say in ep1 kids with force powers are identified early and then trained.

Sure people expected Rey to be related to someone we were familiar with. But that's because it makes sense for the sequels to have the main Jedi related to someone we know. And Lucas always said this was a story about Anakin and the skywalkers. And two, that's the narative that was implied during the lead up to ep7.

fractal

Well, I finally found the review that most matches my feelings; abusive use of exposition, not feeling anything for anyone, Carrie Fisher performance being exploited and even used the same word I did when explaining the plot - cockamamie.

http://cinemalogue.com/2019/12/18/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

The wit, wisdom, charm, and imagination of Star Wars is gone. Take, for instance, Rey’s training. It’s as if J.J. Abrams watched a wizened Yoda guiding Luke with lessons about transcending mind and body, yet thought the obstacle course was the point. You almost want Beat Takeshi to show up with running commentary to liven up the whole affair. Even an implied Han and Leia dynamic, attempted between the ex-smuggler Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) and Zorii Bliss (Keri Russell)—a female bounty hunter costumed in such an Art Deco throwback we might as well call her Daft Punkette, the Racketeer, or C3P2—gets thrown into the narrative cacophony, just to “no ” the Poe/Finn relationship resonating within the fandom’s diversity. Like Disney blithely dispatching 42 years of canon, even C3PO doesn’t hesitate to erase these horrid episodes from his own memory. After all, how much do you want to bet there’s a backup drive?

Then there’s the unused footage of Carrie Fisher that seems patched in, like it was shot for a completely different exchange but repurposed here. There’s something gauche about robbing an actor of her agency, the clarity and purpose of her performance. Here, they re-animate Fisher, only to have to justify her death in service to a male character’s arc in a way that, the explanation itself feels like it’s capitalizing on something to which we shouldn’t be a party. It feels cheap, like the moment in BOWFINGER where the director, Bobby (Steve Martin), tells his ingenue, Daisy (Heather Graham), he’ll never abuse her trust, while pilfering her credit card from her purse.

What was once a thoughtful, evocative series, taking us to distinct worlds of sand, ice, lush vegetation, is now a galaxy surfeit with desert planets and earth tone linens, infantilized cultures—a sort of National Geographic survey of “savages” from exoplanets that just happen to all dress the same.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because it’s patently dumb...like a beacon that can’t be washed from memory...

Yep...like jar jar
It’s literally just the force can be found in anyone. I don’t get why people think that kid is an important character.
That only works if you flesh it out...which of course there’s no time for with all the other nonsense sideplots.

They had to put Benicio del clicko in there and another 30 second death of phasma 😳
It was a “gamble”...like hitting on 20

Last edited:

Mike S

Because the previous movie made such a big deal about it like there actually WAS something special about her. The expectation was set.

If they never did that and she just started as a rando who then trained with Luke absolutely no one would’ve minded.

And before you say it yes I do blame JJ for that. I also blame Rian for just pulling the rug out when clearly something else was being set up and I also blame Kennedy for not pushing for some consistency between movies that are supposed to be telling one story.
The Jedi and the Force after the Republic are very inconsistent in Star Wars. People who were alive for Order 66 act as though it happen centuries earlier. Even just recently in The Mandalorian, the Armorer refers to the Jedi as ancient but Mando was apparently orphaned during the Clone Wars when Jedis were running around all over the place.
???

I wasn't referring to in-universe. I was talking about people consuming Star Wars media. Force Sensitivity being possible with anyone isn’t a new concept that Rian struck.

rowrbazzle

Funny enough, I'd think the last jedi lovers and haters could unite over a hatred of how the trilogy was handled overall. No matter what you think of the last jedi, it's obvious there was no plan for how 7 would lead to 8 and 8 to 9.

Seeing what Trevorrow had in place for 9 (written a year before TLJ was released evidently), they did appear to have a plan. The movie flowed from 7 and 8. For whatever reason they abandoned that plan. Hence, the mess of 9.

rowrbazzle

It's not just the force ability, but also the scene that preceded it. The story of Luke's sacrifice is being told by one of the kids, who seem to be essentially slaves. It's inspiring hope in them. The resistance will grow, perhaps in ways not seen before - maybe they'll follow the Jedi training or maybe it'll be something different. Regardless, it's the promise of new possibilities and an uncertain path to overcoming the evil in power.

lazyboy97o

It's not just the force ability, but also the scene that preceded it. The story of Luke's sacrifice is being told by one of the kids, who seem to be essentially slaves. It's inspiring hope in them. The resistance will grow, perhaps in ways not seen before - maybe they'll follow the Jedi training or maybe it'll be something different. Regardless, it's the promise of new possibilities and an uncertain path to overcoming the evil in power.
How would some kid know something that just happened? Who suddenly cared enough to share it so much?

Mike S

How would some kid know something that just happened? Who suddenly cared enough to share it so much?
Thinking about it now if this Trilogy was actually planned out they could’ve had the spreading of Luke’s story happen in 9 so as to not give the impression that it happened so quickly after he did what he did on Crait.

LSLS

Seeing what Trevorrow had in place for 9 (written a year before TLJ was released evidently), they did appear to have a plan. The movie flowed from 7 and 8. For whatever reason they abandoned that plan. Hence, the mess of 9.

He may have had a plan (and it could have been great for all I know), but there was no overall plan for the trilogy.

rowrbazzle

I don't think a timeline is given. Everyone? That was the point. Where before people were not responding, now word and hope was spreading. Those kids met Finn and Rose earlier and knew of the resistance.

Thinking about it now if this Trilogy was actually planned out they could’ve had the spreading of Luke’s story happen in 9 so as to not give the impression that it happened so quickly after he did what he did on Crait.

I took the end of TLJ to be a bit of foreshadowing, so to speak. I expected we'd see it being carried out in 9. They didn't need a grand plan for that to happen. As I said before, I don't understand why JJ didn't have that happen.

He may have had a plan (and it could have been great for all I know), but there was no overall plan for the trilogy.

Okay. I think it can be fine either way. It really depends. You can have a plan and end up with the prequels. You can not have a plan and end up with Breaking Bad.

erasure fan1

With a plan, any of the ideas throughout the sequels would have been better. I've never been a big fan of the EU dark empire and the emperor coming back. But if they planned it out, it would have worked A LOT better. It could have been cool to see the Sith acolytes and how they acquired the emperor and how he pulling the strings.
Exactly. From what I read with his script it really didn't work any better than JJs. It had a few interesting things, but in the end, it was still fighting an uphill battle because of the lack of planning this thing out.

Tony Perkis

Because the previous movie made such a big deal about it like there actually WAS something special about her. The expectation was set.

And I applauded TLJ of taking what fans thought they wanted and pull away from that. Just because JJ Abrams likes to use the mystery box method as a storytelling crutch doesn’t mean his collaborators have to operate in the same manner.

If they never did that and she just started as a rando who then trained with Luke absolutely no one would’ve minded.

And before you say it yes I do blame JJ for that. I also blame Rian for just pulling the rug out when clearly something else was being set up and I also blame Kennedy for not pushing for some consistency between movies that are supposed to be telling one story.

???

I wasn't referring to in-universe. I was talking about people consuming Star Wars media. Force Sensitivity being possible with anyone isn’t a new concept that Rian struck.
Never once did I say it was a new concept. But fans were so stuck with the expectation that everyone is related to someone else in some way needed to be pushed back against, and using broom boy to relay this while hinting at a spark for the Resistance was a logical and effective means to re

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom