Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I finally saw Rise and thought it was a big disappointment.

I feel like it undermined so much of the previous movies, particularly doing a disservice to Luke and Anakin. Rise makes Luke's work in the original trilogy and sacrifice in TLJ less meaningful. Whether you liked it or not, he sacrificed himself in TLJ. The intention was that his sacrifice would be meaningful and inspire people to rise up in opposition to evil. Rise says it didn't. We need Lando to rally them? That's inexplicable. Even ignoring TLJ, the guy Luke helped defeat 30 years ago came back like it was nothing. This also negates the sacrifice of Anakin, a character Rise seemed to have forgotten about. As others have said, the Skywalker Saga became the Palpatine Saga.

What was the point of the new trilogy if it was just going to be the old guys dying while the new guys fought the same bad guy as the first trilogy? Overall, I thought it just didn't really have much to say. So much for the idea that anyone (even a nobody whose parents abandoned her) can be a hero. Turns out she's just the spawn of the really evil guy from the original movies.
rolleyes.gif
The Emperor returning also undermines the actual bad guy of the new movies. Instead we get to see Kylo do the same stuff he did in the previous two movies before eventually coming around. So much for the idea that the indifference and greed of too many people is what has allowed evil to return after being vanquished in Episode 6. So much for the notion of the force spreading across the galaxy. Instead we get hints of Finn being force sensitive and....what? Nothing. The idea that children are stolen and brainwashed to be Stormtroopers was another interesting idea that was barely explored. We just mow them down as usual.

I'm not sure where Disney goes from here, but I think they should get away from the Skywalkers. They don't seem to know what to do with them.
...so you’re one of the 8 people who bought a ticket yesterday? 😉

Wendy Pleakley

I finally saw Rise and thought it was a big disappointment.

I feel like it undermined so much of the previous movies, particularly doing a disservice to Luke and Anakin. Rise makes Luke's work in the original trilogy and sacrifice in TLJ less meaningful. Whether you liked it or not, he sacrificed himself in TLJ. The intention was that his sacrifice would be meaningful and inspire people to rise up in opposition to evil. Rise says it didn't. We need Lando to rally them? That's inexplicable. Even ignoring TLJ, the guy Luke helped defeat 30 years ago came back like it was nothing. This also negates the sacrifice of Anakin, a character Rise seemed to have forgotten about. As others have said, the Skywalker Saga became the Palpatine Saga.

What was the point of the new trilogy if it was just going to be the old guys dying while the new guys fought the same bad guy as the first trilogy? Overall, I thought it just didn't really have much to say. So much for the idea that anyone (even a nobody whose parents abandoned her) can be a hero. Turns out she's just the spawn of the really evil guy from the original movies.
rolleyes.gif
The Emperor returning also undermines the actual bad guy of the new movies. Instead we get to see Kylo do the same stuff he did in the previous two movies before eventually coming around. So much for the idea that the indifference and greed of too many people is what has allowed evil to return after being vanquished in Episode 6. So much for the notion of the force spreading across the galaxy. Instead we get hints of Finn being force sensitive and....what? Nothing. The idea that children are stolen and brainwashed to be Stormtroopers was another interesting idea that was barely explored. We just mow them down as usual.

I'm not sure where Disney goes from here, but I think they should get away from the Skywalkers. They don't seem to know what to do with them.

There's a few story lines in these movies that could have benefited by just a bit more explanation. I get why the galaxy didn't immediately rise up in unison. It takes time. Maybe there was a bit of it, and then the Emperor with his Final Order fleet scared them all again. They come together once someone shows them a path to victory. They could have explained this a bit, even in the opening crawl. "The galaxy began to fight back, engaging the First Order throughout the galaxy, but with the Emperor's return the galaxy has fallen back into line..." - just give us bit more info so we're not asking that question, what did Lando do that Luke couldn't?

Same with the map to Luke in TFA. Why would there be a map to Luke? Take a minute to explain that they knew he was going to the first Jedi temple, but the location is lost. That's the info they're looking for, not a treasure map that says "Luke is here".

The grandchildren of Vader and Palpatine, there's a dynamic that they could have done more with. Another reason they should have established that plot point in TLJ, it would have made their dynamic make more sense. Rey and Kylo wanted to be together in a way, but were torn between good and evil. I would have liked that to be more explicit in the TLJ, "you and I are the heirs to the galaxy, it's our destiny to rule together" - give Rey more of that conflict of wondering which side she should fall on. I will note a lot of people have listed ways in which Rey's lineage is hinted at beginning with TFA, including how her light sabre moves mirror Palpatines.

Those unexplored story ideas? I imagine they're the seeds of future projects. Jannah screams future Disney+ series. I can't imagine we'll never see Finn again either. Despite the "end of the Skywalker" saga tagline, Rey Skywalker has picked up the mantle. I'm sure Palpatine has a niece of nephew in the wings for Episode X as well ;)

rowrbazzle

Is that from the leaked Colin Treverrow script? ;)

I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion of this. Someone said earlier that Treverrow didn't like the direction of 8. But his script seemed to fit just fine from 8 while still paying off some of the elements of 7. It seemed to make better use of Luke's character, allowing him to interact with both Rey and Kylo. It's not a guarantee of a good movie, but it definitely seemed like a more interesting and fitting one.

I thought this was a good article about it. https://www.theringer.com/star-wars...r-wars-script-rise-of-skywalker-duel-of-fates

Wendy Pleakley

I'm surprised there hasn't been discussion of this. Someone said earlier that Treverrow didn't like the direction of 8. But his script seemed to fit just fine from 8 while still paying off some of the elements of 7. It seemed to make better use of Luke's character, allowing him to interact with both Rey and Kylo. It's not a guarantee of a good movie, but it definitely seemed like a more interesting and fitting one.

I thought this was a good article about it. https://www.theringer.com/star-wars...r-wars-script-rise-of-skywalker-duel-of-fates

I read the synopsis and it doesn't do anything for me. Mostly just action. Kylo being redeemed was obvious, but in this story nothing happens to him other than being defeated. Palpatine may have been contrived, but better than introducing a new villain we've never heard of before.

No surprise though, Treverrow wrote the two Jurassic World films, which were both awful.

erasure fan1

I read the synopsis and it doesn't do anything for me.
The seeds were sown with 7 & 8 so I'm not really sure any script would have been great. There were a few things I thought would have been interesting in Trevorrows script. But as a whole it would have been just as criticized as Abrams. If I had to choose a direction, I think JJ had the better plan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Though I have always agreed about the political undertones of Star Wars...the last two “trilogies” have actually made me re-evaluate that.

They tried new Socio-political angles (economics and the power of greed in prequels...gender and race takes in the DT) and they’ve fallen flat with a flood.

Maybe Star Wars is just a pin prick to our primal basic instincts and that’s why it worked?

Just a theory...

Wendy Pleakley

There should be a Star Wars discussion thread called “subtle mismanagement”

Here’s today’s entry:

We couldn't use that one guy in a fish mask in our movie, so we had to use a different guy in a different fish mask.

Sounds more like a thread called "obsessive losers who will complain about every trivial little thing".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We couldn't use that one guy in a fish mask in our movie, so we had to use a different guy in a different fish mask.

Sounds more like a thread called "obsessive losers who will complain about every trivial little thing".
You’ll say anything to defend the shield.

Now all the Star Wars fans...which I’m gonna guess you lauded in 2015 and questioned in 2017 due to backlash...

And I bet you’re one of those “Galaxy’s edge is amazing!” Peeps too...

...are now “losers”, huh?

I will never again expect you to understand the nuance of how a small character - like the one in question - was still ICONIC and needed to be handled with great care. Some strings you yank on are a bigger deal to the sweater than others. All things are not equal.

You’ve made your intentions clear...as have I mine. You’re Yosemite Sam on one hill and i’m bugs bunny on the other

(Wait...you ONLY look at Star Wars things here? That’s it?

The real question is, what’s your definition of “obsessive”?)

Last edited:

Mike S

Something else for people to spend months complaining about! It's the gift that keeps on giving.

They did a good job on him, I never noticed whether he was CGI or not to be honest.
Complain? I was making a little joke about you saying it was a mask...

I could tell because he wasn’t as stiff as the masks would be. He did look good though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom