Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars. (stolen from @TROR)

Unsarcastically I have no idea what it even means anymore to be a Star Wars fan. It was certainly the most divisive amongst hard core fans, no one can argue that. But many hard core fans actually did like it.
There has never been a less true comment...

Star Wars fans would never reject good Star Wars.

They came after the prequels were hatched on them...and George told them off over and over again in the press...calling them stupid and immature

They gave Disney $2 billion dollars for a reboot they never wanted...a show of faith.

The 5 angry guy theory needs to go to bed. Star Wars fans need not apologize for being fans anymore

NearTheEars

Just saw it today. I enjoyed it quite a lot. But I’m not the type of fan that my whole identity relies on Star Wars being perfect. I fully admit that my thoughts wouldn’t carry that much weight among most of you.

It would be interesting to see some more opinions in this thread. It seems to be the same 5 people repeating the same posts for 30 pages so far. But since this is more of a Parks website I probably should look elsewhere for a more diverse discussion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Would never reject an average SW. It's only the bad ones we have issues with (read: the 3 movies Kennedy and Iger have been a part of - truth be told, I actually liked the first. Giving Roundhead the reigns proved to be the downfall)
They treated Edwards like crap - publicly...and that was a warning sign...as R1 is already like the “cult classic” of Star wars

They just don’t get it

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They treated Edwards like crap - publicly...and that was a warning sign...as R1 is already like the “cult classic” of Star wars

They just don’t get it

Maybe Gareth and Mark should make their own movie. Alternate universe, timeline, dimension - I'll go for 1 more Jedi Master Skywalker movie......I don't care if it comes from Universal, Robot Chicken, or Lego at this point. I didn't get it from Disney.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But I’m not the type of fan that my whole identity relies on Star Wars being perfect.

I don't think any SW fan relies on perfection. We just rely on consistency.

I fully admit that my thoughts wouldn’t carry that much weight among most of you.

Sure they do. If you are a SW fan, every opinion counts.

It seems to be the same 5 people repeating the same posts for 30 pages so far.

Because that's all that have participated. If you'd care to - it could be 6. And we could make it to 35 pages with your help.

I probably should look elsewhere for a more diverse discussion

We're diverse here. But you can choose to participate in any thread. Including "Unmagical Day" if you wish.

VaderTron

only the movies matter in the end. all of the games and comic books no one gives a crap about.

Riiiiiiiiiight...

Let's crush that bug-like theory with the giant foot of hard facts:

1. Last year the video game industry brought in an estimated $43.4 billion in the U.S. alone. The U.S. box office totals were $11.89 billion. There is a reason so many good writers are turning their attention to video games and turning out movie quality story lines and plots, many times outdoing what film writers are putting out these days.

2. Star Wars does have some comics, but mainly we are talking books. Anyone who loves a good story and has the attention span of a normal adult understands that side-by-side movies often pale in comparison to the same story written as a book. It's hard to pull off some things on the big screen that can be best understood through a well written novel that paints the picture in your mind or is well explained by details of the characters' inner thoughts and other details missed in traditional movies that do not contain a narrator. It's why fiction books alone made $8.12 billion in the U.S Last year. If we take in all books that would equal $25.8 billion.

Take away: Twice the money was spent on books last year than movie theater tickets. Nearly 4 times the amount was spent on video games. Plenty of people care about books and games.

TROR

Story, visuals, script, characters, emotional impact, excitement. I enjoy watching it more than any other SW film.
I know you're wrong because you think Rogue One has characters and emotional impact. That movie is visual splendor with no substance to back it up leaving it feeling hollow and lifeless. As fun as the space battle is at the end of that movie, it's rendered null by the lack of investment in any of those fighting for either side of the conflict.

RandySavage

Explain to me how it doesn't, and I'll correct you.

That movie is visual splendor with no substance to back it up leaving it feeling hollow and lifeless. As fun as the space battle is at the end of that movie, it's rendered null by the lack of investment in any of those fighting for either side of the conflict.
I had complete investment in the characters. The script wasn't dumbed down (a rarity in SW) and all the actors, from extras to leads performed very naturally and very well. The background/motivation dialogue may not have been overly exhaustive, but it was impactful. None of it felt spoon-fed. We saw & heard all we needed to know. The performances hammered home the investment. E.g., we see in the first fifteen minutes Cassian is a conflicted, war-hardened agent who kills for the Alliance and Jyn is a girl who watched her mother murdered by the Empire, her father stolen away and we find her imprisoned by the same, blaming her Father for abandoning her and later learning of his sacrifice and forgiving him. These are damaged people who for natural & believable reasons (revenge & justice, prevention of another genocide) choose to undertake a suicidal mission to give the galaxy a chance to be saved (cue Ep IV). But instead of living through it, as would happen in most Hollywood movies, their victory means death. It's a beautiful, operatic story.

When you include the magnificent visual sequences from beginning to end, the rollercoaster pacing, the perfect blending of old & new production design... it is a Masterpiece even before you get bonus cherry: the Vader scene leading directly into a new hope's opening, which is like a 3rd curtain call by U2. Nothing matches R1.

IMO, at least.

Last edited:

TROR

Kinda like The Last Jedi. I know what you mean.
1577072042170.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom