Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
With the movie premiering tonight and opening in several European countries on Wednesday, I think now is a good time for a spoiler/reaction thread.

By Friday the movie will have opened in almost every country in the world, including all major markets.

Keeping a lid on spoilers elsewhere online will be difficult, but at least we can try with this thread. :)

Tom P.

Not a major plot point by any means, but...

I am more excited than I should be that John Williams has a cameo in the film. :)

I don't think he is given as much credit as he deserves. Star Wars would not be the same without him. Knowing that this is his final contribution to the franchise makes the score for it bittersweet.

The Empress Lilly

I saw all three movies today. Need to let it all sink in.

I avoided all info beforehand. I am surprised at the negativity surrounding RoS. It's better than that. To me RoS was a mixed bag. Part poor, part great.

I can't yet form an overall impression, it's all too fresh and I'm too emotionally invested in SW for that.

Random impressionistic thoughts (this is a spoiler heavy thread!)
- A festival held every 42 years. Surely a reference to 1977-2019?
- Lando was a nice touch. Looking back I was super content that I had avoided peeking at the movie poster. Which features Lando.
- In all honesty, Lando felt redundant after his first scene.
- Seeing Han was awesome. Didn't expect Harrison Ford back with anything SW. He's been trying to get Han dead since 1980, but here we were.
- But if they are all three brought back, couldn't they have added in one shot of the OT cast together?
- Leia was lovely. They did a good job of using her in this movie.
- It was fitting that R2 was at her feet when she passed away. They burst into screen together at the beginning of IV. Now they were together at the end. I shall admit I took consolation from it.
- Nobody's ever dead in SW. It is a bit silly. Han, Luke, Leia, Yoda, Palpatine. The speaking roles of the dead outnumber the living!
- Now I still don't know what Finn wanted to say to Rey...

Mike S

Here are the best parts of the movie:

“I was wrong” - Luke Skywalker (no freaking poop)

“DO IT!” - Palpatine

Making fun of the Holdo Maneuver

And the coup de grâce, the fact they thought they could STEAL from Avengers: Endgame and get away with it without EARNING it.

“I am... inevitable”/“I am all the Sith!!!”

“And I... am... Iron Man”/“I am... all the Jedi”

tenor.gif

^ Me when that happened.

Edit 3: Here’s a video comparison.

Plus all the ships coming in just like all the heroes through the portals. My god 🤣

What a shoddy, incoherent, inconsistent MESS this trilogy turned out to be. As far as I’m concerned the Skywalker Saga consists of only 6 movies. I’m freaking DONE!!!

Next episode of The Mandalorian should be good though 🙂

They also cannot get started on that rumored Original Trilogy overlay for Rise of the Resistance soon enough. Holy cow this movie sucks.

Edit: All the clear and blatant attempts at fan service also felt like an insult more than anything. It’s too freaking late LucasFilm. It’s too freaking late. You should’ve thought about the fans before you did what you did to Luke Skywalker :mad:

Edit 2: For the love of god, WE DIDN’T NEED MORE PLANET DESTROYING SUPERWEAPONS!!!!!!

Last edited:

yeti

I’m probably going to get crucified for saying this...but I didn’t just like the movie I LOVED IT! ...I could go further on my love for this movie but I’m sure people on this thread will politely remind me how much of a jerk I am for loving this movie.

Well you're certainly not alone. Everyone in my theatre loved it and applauded at the end. I was apparently the only grump in the audience!

Mike S

Well you're certainly not alone. Everyone in my theatre loved it and applauded at the end. I was apparently the only grump in the audience!
My theater was silent throughout. Just a few claps at the end and a few claps I initiated when Chewie finally got his medal though it was still halfhearted on my end and theirs. For Chewie I just had to. Speaking of Chewie I was getting ready to storm out of the theater until it was revealed Rey didn’t actually kill him. I was getting LIVID.

Surferboy567

I was getting ready to storm out of the theater until it was revealed Rey didn’t actually kill him. I was getting LIVID.

That was the one thing I was thinking about when I thought how could the critics hate this movie? ...then I realized it was all the Jedi of the past (also the execution of that scene was incredible)

I’ve always liked Rey but now I REALLY like Rey

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about the force lighting

yeti

I loved The Force Awakens, so the failure of Disney's sequel trilogy - which it unequivocally is now, in my mind, a failure - lies at the feet of the second two movies. And they share a similar abandon for the nature of the Force that ruins them. Reylo's Force-conversations, Luke's Force projection, Ben's emergence from the pit of despair, the Force healing, Force ghosts using physical powers...it's too much, all of it, and it's what makes these films look so dumb. A major part of my Star Wars fatigue is that the Force can do anything, so there's little suspense...maybe Force powers shouldn't be a plot device anymore?

yeti

My theater was silent throughout. Just a few claps at the end and a few claps I initiated when Chewie finally got his medal though it was still halfhearted on my end and theirs. For Chewie I just had to. Speaking of Chewie I was getting ready to storm out of the theater until it was revealed Rey didn’t actually kill him. I was getting LIVID.
It's funny...I feel like I experienced the kind of hootin and hollerin audience I've always wanted to be in, but for the complete wrong movie.

Mike S

It's funny...I feel like I experienced the kind of hootin and hollerin audience I've always wanted to be in, but for the complete wrong movie.
Should've been in my theaters for Infinity War and Endgame. Those were experiences I won’t soon forget.

BrianLo

It was a bit overstuffed and a little overtly apologetic. My only criticism is that they refused to take a breather anywhere in the movie.

But it did pick up. It was nice to see the the trio main cast actually do stuff together. Lea was organically well done.

Overall the best part of the trilogy, for me, is the Reylo arc. I certainly think it came together much better than the prequels. The leads were all charismatic and I too was left a little confused why he left the Finn thing hanging.

Mike S

“The Rise of Skywalker” reaffirmed why “The Last Jedi” is an underrated, and highly flawed, masterpiece.
All it did for me was make me wonder why I ever thought Disney could do the Sequel Trilogy justice. They’re creatively bankrupt aside from animation. The only reason Pixar and Marvel have done well post purchase is because they already had the right people in place and an actual game plan before getting bought even if Pixar suffered lower quality for a bit recently. With Star Wars they were starting from scratch.
It was a bit overstuffed and a little overtly apologetic. My only criticism is that they refused to take a breather anywhere in the movie.

But it did pick up. It was nice to see the the trio main cast actually do stuff together. Lea was organically well done.

Overall the best part of the trilogy, for me, is the Reylo arc. I certainly think it came together much better than the prequels. The leads were all charismatic and I too was left a little confused why he left the Finn thing hanging.
Now that I’ve got the whole story the best part for me was Harrison Ford back as Han Solo in Force Awakens. Knowing that the new characters have got nothing interesting about them it retroactively ruins whatever the first movie setup.

BrianLo

Now that I’ve got the whole story the best part for me was Harrison Ford back as Han Solo in Force Awakens. Knowing that the new characters have got nothing interesting about them it retroactively ruins whatever the first movie setup.

Nothing interesting? Rey and Ben have been quite well developed. Some of the best character building has been their shared moments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom