News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Epcot_Imagineer

Finally you receive this, prompting you to head over to the ride....you'll notice our group wasn't called until 7:41 P.M., and we were given to 9:41 P.M. to make it over to the ride que (9:41 is 41 mins AFTER Park Closing)
Group 77 wasn't called until almost 8? Please tell me you were one of the first people to ride during opening week, good lord.

disneygeek90

There are so many comments here,and I may have missed it. Sorry for my ignorance. However How does it work if 2 people in the same party try for a boarding group.
It works like reserving fast passes. Once you click join a group it’ll have you choose everyone on your friends list that you want to add.

Epcot_Imagineer

It could be, but if we looked a bit deeper there may be an explanation. What phone did you use to get the boarding group and what mobile service does it use? See if it's the same for @cindy_k . Maybe certain phones and providers allow for quicker access? Worth asking at least.
The MDE app is officially sponsored by AT&T... do I need to sign up for an AT&T contract to be sure I can ride RotR? 😆

Dad 2 M & M

Group 77 wasn't called until almost 8? Please tell me you were one of the first people to ride during opening week, good lord.
It was in early December, and these were from Tuesday December 9th, 10th, or 11th. The ride was still in it's first week of operation, was having operating and capacity issues.....

VaderTron

It could be, but if we looked a bit deeper there may be an explanation. What phone did you use to get the boarding group and what mobile service does it use? See if it's the same for @cindy_k . Maybe certain phones and providers allow for quicker access? Worth asking at least.
I also have a second hypothesis that would be truly evil, but seems difficult to accomplish. That is, maybe Disney is granting access to boarding groups in reverse order. In other words, people that showed up earlier are being given higher groups than those who get there later to discourage early arrival in the most impactful way possible. Again, it seems this theory would be too elaborate for Disney IT to pull off.

Epcot_Imagineer

It was in early December, and these were from Tuesday December 9th, 10th, or 11th. The ride was still in it's first week of operation, was having operating and capacity issues.....
Sorry, I'm just used to boarding groups in the hundreds being called around 2-4 according to the other thread, and was shocked at your number being near 8 -- all good!!

disneygeek90

I also have a second hypothesis that would be truly evil, but seems difficult to accomplish. That is, maybe Disney is granting access to boarding groups in reverse order. In other words, people that showed up earlier are being given higher groups than those who get there later to discourage early arrival in the most impactful way possible. Again, it seems this theory would be too elaborate for Disney IT to pull off.
I think that’s a stretch. The person next to me was group 99 yesterday after I watched her secure her group about a minute after me. We were both sitting on a bench at 6:35 so there’s no way she could have scanned in much earlier than me.

On the first day of “people back to work/school,” backups are still available at 8:42am.

Epcot_Imagineer

Question: what's the plan of attack for DHS, guys? Enter the park, secure the boarding group and then...? Should I make my way to Smugglers Run or is the line chaotic? ToT and RRC first? Just looking for what you all would consider the best way to complete the park after arriving at opening.

Jon81uk

One way to think about boarding groups is that they work a bi like restaurant pagers, you need to be at the restaurant to sign up but once you have the pager (boarding group) you wait for the notification to go back.

VaderTron

I think that’s a stretch. The person next to me was group 99 yesterday after I watched her secure her group about a minute after me. We were both sitting on a bench at 6:35 so there’s no way she could have scanned in much earlier than me.

On the first day of “people back to work/school,” backups are still available at 8:42am.
Right, you may have been inside the park around the same, but what time did they arrive at the gate and stand around? An hour early? 5 minutes early? Once again, that theory is unlikely for numerous reasons. I think the phone/provider differences might have something to do with the issue. For example, even in something as simple as using Chrome vs using Explorer on my home PC I can get an error on the Disney web site that tells me to come back later. After refreshing several times I will get the same error. Using the other browser for the same action will allow me to accomplish the booking right away.

I say there's a good chance people's phone type, provider, and capabilities play at least a small role in how quickly you get access to the boarding groups.

Chet Dakota

Right, you may have been inside the park around the same, but what time did they arrive at the gate and stand around? An hour early? 5 minutes early? Once again, that theory is unlikely for numerous reasons. I think the phone/provider differences might have something to do with the issue. For example, even in something as simple as using Chrome vs using Explorer on my home PC I can get an error on the Disney web site that tells me to come back later. After refreshing several times I will get the same error. Using the other browser for the same action will allow me to accomplish the booking right away.

I say there's a good chance people's phone type, provider, and capabilities play at least a small role in how quickly you get access to the boarding groups.
I was possibly thinking that your scan in time had some impact as the morning that we scanned in the earliest, we got the lowest BG. Then, yesterday BG 65 and today 66 debunked my silly theory.

VaderTron

I was possibly thinking that your scan in time had some impact as the morning that we scanned in the earliest, we got the lowest BG. Then, yesterday BG 65 and today 66 debunked my silly theory.
What about phone type/provider/age? If this was the case it would be helpful to know for future visits if someone in the party has a better phone/provider/OS/etc.

disneygeek90

What about phone type/provider/age? If this was the case it would be helpful to know for future visits if someone in the party has a better phone/provider/OS/etc.
I know for a fact yesterday the person next to me (group 99) and I (group 31) both had Verizon. She had at least 30 years on me tho, maybe more. It was also an iPhone but I don’t know what model. I have the XS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom