• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Star Wars boarding groups

disneyREINA

Original Poster
Has this died down at all? I heard you must be at the park by 8am to run to rise of resistance in order to get on a boarding group for the day. Is this still true?
If we arrive around 10am will we get a spot? I know it depends on time of the year, we will be there last week of March.

James J

Advertisement
It definitely hasn't died down much, if at all. You still need to get to the park early, as the boarding groups open up at rope drop (currently 7am) and are then filled within 2-3 minutes. I don't anticipate ot dropping enough by March that you'd be able to sign up if you didn't arrive until 10am.

There's a whole thread on it here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-opening-week-reports-and-using-boarding-groups.962202/page-251

Dad 2 M & M

That’s an exaggeration. 45 mins for all groups to be filled. I’ve been on it 5 times
We have as multiple times as well.... I'd recommend being IN the Park at or before 7:45

That 2-3 mins thing is out there, and if it REALLY happened, it was during the Holiday crunch......

To be safe, be there by 7:30.......

disneyREINA

Original Poster
We have as multiple times as well.... I'd recommend being IN the Park at or before 7:45

That 2-3 mins thing is out there, and if it REALLY happened, it was during the Holiday crunch......

To be safe, be there by 7:30.......

Got it !!
And can one person wait in the line with the others bands who will be riding or does every person have to be in the line? We have a 2 yr old and 4 month old so I wasn’t sure about the whole baby swap thing or if they’d have to wait for ever in the line for nothing

Weather_Lady

Got it !!
And can one person wait in the line with the others bands who will be riding or does every person have to be in the line? We have a 2 yr old and 4 month old so I wasn’t sure about the whole baby swap thing or if they’d have to wait for ever in the line for nothing
Just to clarify, based on your initial post: you don't run to Rise of the Resistance to get in line. You must tap into the park before official opening time, log into MDE (the Disney app) precisely at official park opening and attempt to join a boarding group via the app. If and when you do that, you'll be notified by the app when your group is called, and will then have 2 hours to report and join the line. There is no standby line and no need to run anywhere at rope drop (except to other attractions besides RoTR, as desired). Once you join the line when your boarding group is called, the wait should be reasonable.

Of course, that's assuming that the morning routine will be the same when you visit as it currently operates, but it could change radically. Keep checking these forums for up-to-date information.

Last edited:

disneyREINA

Original Poster
Omg no way haha wow good thing I asked!
I would have been waiting at the park at 7am!
why is everyone saying to be there at 730 if you only need to join a group via the app? I’m so confused 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

disneyREINA

Original Poster
Why would you need to be in the park at opening if you have 2 hours before needing to get to the actual ride line?

nickys

Premium Member
Why would you need to be in the park at opening if you have 2 hours before needing to get to the actual ride line?
Because everyone who wants to ride must already be in the park in order to sign up via the app.

This is how it works:

1) Get everyone to the park and through the tapstiles before official park opening.
2) Open the app, click on Rise of the Resistance
3) When it opens, you then see the option to “join” a boarding group
4) You will be allocated a boarding group number
5) They start “calling” groups by blocks of numbers soon after the ride ooens
6) You use the app to see when your group is called
7) You then have 2 hours to return to the ride and get in the ride line.

Dad 2 M & M

Got it !!
to further what @nickys said above....the steps in order:

1) You and your party scan your band and enter Disney Hollywood Studios .... to be safe, be inside the Park before 7:30
2) Open app....you'll see this screen 1st
3) Click Find Out More
BG.jpg

You see this screen next....click Join Boarding Group

By the way, at 7:53 this A.M. there are still back Groups available

BG1.jpg

Next screen....click on everyone in your party that you want in your Boarding Group. Your Boarding Group will be constructed from your Family and Friends list, so make sure you have added everyone to your Family and Friends!

You'll get this next:
BG 3.jpg

Then you'll get this...and you've succeeded in joining/building your Boarding Group! Our group was created at 7:32 A.M. and wasn't called until 7:41 P.M.....you'll see more below

BG 4.jpg

Finally you receive this, prompting you to head over to the ride....you'll notice our group wasn't called until 7:41 P.M., and we were given to 9:41 P.M. to make it over to the ride que (9:41 is 41 mins AFTER Park Closing)

BG 5.jpg

Once you make over to the Que, you'll scan once where all the CM "Guards" are making sure no one gets in without a BG. This is a holding area just outside the ride; I assume this is for those people who have arrived and are waiting for the rest of their Boarding Group. Then you'll scan again as you enter the actual line....once you've gotten in line, the line moves very swiftly, almost so swift you'll slow down just to absorb the line que....it is pretty cool!

Epcot_Imagineer

Finally you receive this, prompting you to head over to the ride....you'll notice our group wasn't called until 7:41 P.M., and we were given to 9:41 P.M. to make it over to the ride que (9:41 is 41 mins AFTER Park Closing)
Group 77 wasn't called until almost 8? Please tell me you were one of the first people to ride during opening week, good lord.

Dad 2 M & M

Group 77 wasn't called until almost 8? Please tell me you were one of the first people to ride during opening week, good lord.
It was in early December, and these were from Tuesday December 9th, 10th, or 11th. The ride was still in it's first week of operation, was having operating and capacity issues.....

Epcot_Imagineer

It was in early December, and these were from Tuesday December 9th, 10th, or 11th. The ride was still in it's first week of operation, was having operating and capacity issues.....
Sorry, I'm just used to boarding groups in the hundreds being called around 2-4 according to the other thread, and was shocked at your number being near 8 -- all good!!

Jon81uk

One way to think about boarding groups is that they work a bi like restaurant pagers, you need to be at the restaurant to sign up but once you have the pager (boarding group) you wait for the notification to go back.

Soccerdrama

Here's a question I haven't seen answered yet: My husband and I are passholders, but we are bringing our two grandsons who are not. They will have one day tickets to each park which state "no readmission." If we get to the park, say at 7:30 am to get our boarding passes, I am assuming we will have to stay in the park the entire day - even if our boarding group time is in the evening? In the old days, they used to stamp your hand so you could return to the park later in the day. Is this not done anymore with the daily passes? Thanks.

Bowmanr2003

Omg no way haha wow good thing I asked!
I would have been waiting at the park at 7am!
why is everyone saying to be there at 730 if you only need to join a group via the app? I’m so confused 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
You have to join via the app while in the park. You cannot join a boarding group from your hotel room.

ninjaprincesst

You have to be in the park with all members of your party through the gates at park opening to join a boarding group which you will do on the MDE app, once you have a boarding group you will recieve a push notification when your boarding group can begin boarding, you then have to hours from that point to get in line to ride. For Example one day we got boarding group 51 they called group 51 sround 12:30 so we had until 2:30 to get in line.

disneyREINA

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. Do you know the rider height for this? I have a 3 yr old I’m assuming can’t ride? Do they have child swap, or how does that work?

ninjaprincesst

Thanks for all the info. Do you know the rider height for this? I have a 3 yr old I’m assuming can’t ride? Do they have child swap, or how does that work?
height requirement is 40 inches , my daughter easily made that at 3. I don't know if they offer rider swap, but with the two hour window you can easily have one of you stay with him while the other rides then switch out after the first person is done.

Top Bottom