Star Trek: Picard (Spoilers)

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
It’s promising so far...first show did something obvious and yet refreshing: explained the political backstory and the underlying conflicts.

I can think of big budget nonsense that couldn’t bother to spend five good minutes on that.
It's very much traditional Trek in that regard. It's not all space battles. They're also keeping up their continuity; Data's sacrifice in Nemesis, the supernova that destroyed Romulus in 2009's Star Trek...sometimes franchises have a way of being like, "Yeah, forget that happened." Star Trek doesn't do that, which is refreshing.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I'm looking forward to the return of some other old favorite characters. And by that, I mean Seven of Nine. She's part of the reason I'm so into Star Trek. I was watching TNG casually when I was seven or eight. My mom and I watched reruns together. Eventually, the schedule changed, and Voyager was on. Initially, I had no interest in Voyager (or DS9, which would also come on). She was so intriguing from the beginning. Why did she have the metal above her eye? Why was she called Seven? I liked Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi, but Seven of Nine was this clearly powerful female character, and as a preteen, something about her resonated. I remember one time as punishment, my parents told me I couldn't watch Voyager for a week. I had to record the episodes and could catch up later. I remember thinking it was cruel and unusual punishment.:hilarious:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm looking forward to the return of some other old favorite characters. And by that, I mean Seven of Nine. She's part of the reason I'm so into Star Trek. I was watching TNG casually when I was seven or eight. My mom and I watched reruns together. Eventually, the schedule changed, and Voyager was on. Initially, I had no interest in Voyager (or DS9, which would also come on). She was so intriguing from the beginning. Why did she have the metal above her eye? Why was she called Seven? I liked Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi, but Seven of Nine was this clearly powerful female character, and as a preteen, something about her resonated. I remember one time as punishment, my parents told me I couldn't watch Voyager for a week. I had to record the episodes and could catch up later. I remember thinking it was cruel and unusual punishment.:hilarious:
Ds9 is always treated like the ugly duckling...but it had some very good characters as well...and really good story continuity.

Also the best bad guys

mikejs78

Premium Member
It’s promising so far...first show did something obvious and yet refreshing: explained the political backstory and the underlying conflicts.

I can think of big budget nonsense that couldn’t bother to spend five good minutes on that.
First show was excellent in my opinion. Couple of plot points were a little convoluted, but overall great. And seeing Patrick Stewart as Picard again is nothing short of awesome. He brought a gravitas to Trek that I think really made TNG.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
DS9 remains my favorite Trek. I mean, it has one of the best characters ever created for Trek, Garek.
The supporting characters were undoubtedly the best in DS9. My favorite is Nog. He goes from being this kid who seems like trouble in the first episodes to a lieutenant in Starfleet in the finale. He's really fascinating to watch.

We most likely won't see him again, though, since Aaron Eisenburg passed away. :(

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Ds9 is always treated like the ugly duckling...but it had some very good characters as well...and really good story continuity.

Also the best bad guys
I feel like it depends on who you ask. TNG is universally liked, some fans like DS9, and some like Voyager, and then there's the group of those like myself who think they're both good for different reasons. Both series also had strong, complex female characters. Not that I didn't like Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi...but Kira, Dax, Janeway, B'Elana, and Seven were undoubtedly better characters.

I liked the way Cardassians were portrayed in DS9. They had some definite bad eggs in their race, but then you saw characters who ultimately wanted to do good. I think they were better bad guys than the Romulans. Though I'm excited to see the Romulans in Picard for the same reason.

mf1972

The supporting characters were undoubtedly the best in DS9. My favorite is Nog. He goes from being this kid who seems like trouble in the first episodes to a lieutenant in Starfleet in the finale. He's really fascinating to watch.

We most likely won't see him again, though, since Aaron Eisenburg passed away. :(
i believe rene auberjonis who played Odo passed away recently also. i remember him on benson when i was a kid, but thought his Odo character was interesting.

as far as the picard series, 1st episode was good. it’s been awhile since i watched Nemesis. took me awhile to connect the dots from the events of that movie with this new series.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
i believe rene auberjonis who played Odo passed away recently also. i remember him on benson when i was a kid, but thought his Odo character was interesting.
He did unfortunately. He had lung cancer. It's sad we won't see Odo again; he was also a great character.

as far as the picard series, 1st episode was good. it’s been awhile since i watched Nemesis. took me awhile to connect the dots from the events of that movie with this new series.
I read a summary to refresh my memory. I didn't need to rewatch that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DS9 remains my favorite Trek. I mean, it has one of the best characters ever created for Trek, Garek.

I feel like it depends on who you ask. TNG is universally liked, some fans like DS9, and some like Voyager, and then there's the group of those like myself who think they're both good for different reasons. Both series also had strong, complex female characters. Not that I didn't like Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi...but Kira, Dax, Janeway, B'Elana, and Seven were undoubtedly better characters.

I liked the way Cardassians were portrayed in DS9. They had some definite bad eggs in their race, but then you saw characters who ultimately wanted to do good. I think they were better bad guys than the Romulans. Though I'm excited to see the Romulans in Picard for the same reason.

There were fewer better developed side characters - really anywhere - than Gul Dukat

Really was and is a fantastic character...his interactions with the others were top notch.

But that is just a starters...along with Garek...and the great Louise Fletcher.

They all gravitated around the shows true central character: Kira

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
My friends and I had a watch party for that episode.
That being posted I've even been to a convention or 3 or 6. My youngest ds and I watched Voyager all the way through before school a couple of times through.
So far I'm impressed with Picard's plot lines being able to blend the original TNG and the Kelvin timelines but what's up with the Borg and Romulans are what I'm most interested to find out first. They also need to bring back Spot;)

mikejs78

Premium Member
My friends and I had a watch party for that episode.
That being posted I've even been to a convention or 3 or 6. My youngest ds and I watched Voyager all the way through before school a couple of times through.
So far I'm impressed with Picard's plot lines being able to blend the original TNG and the Kelvin timelines but what's up with the Borg and Romulans are what I'm most interested to find out first. They also need to bring back Spot;)

As much as I'd love to see the return of spot, given the average lifespan of a cat, it's likely that spot is no longer. Maybe in a dream sequence or something that would be possible, but otherwise it would be unrealistic.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There were fewer better developed side characters - really anywhere - than Gul Dukat

Really was and is a fantastic character...his interactions with the others were top notch.

But that is just a starters...along with Garek...and the great Louise Fletcher.

They all gravitated around the shows true central character: Kira
Wow, I'm finding myself agreeing with you on something! This feels weird.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow, I'm finding myself agreeing with you on something! This feels weird.
Because it’s obvious...the brain and the heart.

Star Wars is too...you just aren’t separating the fact Disney pooched it from the what you WANT as a fan.

I have done my tour of duty (and then some) for Disney...I have no illusions

Wendy Pleakley

I thought the first episode was generally great.

It's crazy to see how much the production values of Trek have improved. The original series (through Enterprise) and the movies (first 10) were always on a tight budget. The 2009 movie managed to change that. While some people thought it was too much action movie and too little Star Trek, it showed how spending some money could expand the audience. I think with Picard (and Discovery), we're finally getting the best of both worlds, high production values with good story telling.

The good thing about Patrick Stewart getting older is that we seem to be past trying to make him an action hero.

The new characters are interesting and the story is immediately intriguing to the point I want to know what happens next. For a show that promised not to be TNG 2.0, it does have a heavy focus on Data's legacy and the Borg, so we'll see how different it ends up being.

I suspect Picard wasn't the only character to abandon Starfleet, and assuming this is a story of redemption, I imagine it could set the stage for other TNG characters to follow this series (planned for 3 years).

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I thought the first episode was generally great.

It's crazy to see how much the production values of Trek have improved. The original series (through Enterprise) and the movies (first 10) were always on a tight budget. The 2009 movie managed to change that. While some people thought it was too much action movie and too little Star Trek, it showed how spending some money could expand the audience. I think with Picard (and Discovery), we're finally getting the best of both worlds, high production values with good story telling.

The good thing about Patrick Stewart getting older is that we seem to be past trying to make him an action hero.

The new characters are interesting and the story is immediately intriguing to the point I want to know what happens next. For a show that promised not to be TNG 2.0, it does have a heavy focus on Data's legacy and the Borg, so we'll see how different it ends up being.

I suspect Picard wasn't the only character to abandon Starfleet, and assuming this is a story of redemption, I imagine it could set the stage for other TNG characters to follow this series (planned for 3 years).
I think 2009's Star Trek had to have more action than in the other Treks movies. Although arguably First Contact, which IMO is the best of the first 10 movies, was an action film as well.

I read a few reviews where critics complained that there wasn't enough plot movement. I'm like, have you ever watched Star Trek? It is not supposed to be all about laser fights, and there's a lot of background you have to know as well.

Anyway, as someone who didn't start watching until after Nemesis was released, getting fresh episodes with Captain Picard is wonderful indeed.

Oh, and Seven. I don't think I've brought up Seven enough in this thread. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom