Star Tours

RogueHabit

Original Poster
Well, it's been a while (and a couple of board incarnations) since I asked this last, but has anyone heard anything more about the rumoured Star Tours upgrade?

FutureCEO

a new one is supposed to go in, A pod racer ride from the phantom menace. the next star wars film is gonna come out in 2002.

RogueHabit

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdw24557
a new one is supposed to go in, A pod racer ride from the phantom menace. the next star wars film is gonna come out in 2002.

*Grin* Thanks for that, but check my profile and you'll see I'm rather genned-up on Episode-II...:D

I was actally looking for news on implementation dates. The last rumours we heard had said it would be last September, but that came a went and all we saw was FP going in, which in my experience isn't used that often...

An Attack of the Clones tie in might be interesting, which puts us in May 2002...

popkid

i dunno about this one... a change would be interesting but i've always wanted to take that death star trench run since i first saw STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE way back when...

a pod race might be fun, don't even get me started on Episode I... sheeeeeesh...

i can't beleive no one took George Lucas aside and said, "hey george, no offense but this really sucks..."

<BR>

monorail256

well.... i was talking to a disney cast member at tatooine traders last may and she said that they weren't even talking about it anymore and that if they would decide to change that they would only change half of the starspeeder 3000's (or whatever the heck they are called) which would give guest the coice of a flight to endor or a pod race whatever...now...i totally disagree with popkids comments on the phantom menace...i myself a star wars fanatic totally understand where and why the phantom menace comes into play...you popkid on the other ... do not.. its a good movie! i cant wait till episode 2. :0)

markymark

That would actually be quite good, if they gave you the choice of which one you wanted to go on.

BTW I'm with you I though Phantom Menace was / is great. I guess a lot of people had built it up to be the greatest movie ever made and it didn't live up to their expectations.

popkid

Originally posted by monorail256
...now...i totally disagree with popkids comments on the phantom menace...i myself a star wars fanatic totally understand where and why the phantom menace comes into play...you popkid on the other ... do not.. its a good movie! i cant wait till episode 2. :0)

whoa... i don't understand where it comes into play??? who said anything about that???.....

i just think it did more damage that good... c'mon, MIDICLORIANS!?! that's what makes you a jedi??? what kind of BS is that... and the acting and dialogue... jeesus.... not to mention jar jar binks... this list goes on and on...

look if the phantom menace works for you, then fine... i guess i just have higher standards for the first installment in a series of films that I GREW UP WITH and tresure...

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
It should be soon because why would they retheme the shop at the end and not retheme the ride. It's like those kids along on an airplane. We were suppose to land in Endor but got dropped off at Tatoonie. Mommy!!!!

RogueHabit

Original Poster
That was my thinking too, it doesn't make sense. There were a lot of rumours about profiling and stuff being done for a new theme, but then it all when quiet.

In response to popkid, whilst I see where you're coming from, load knows I've been involved in this debate too many times, TPM had a job to do, which it did. That was to start the story rolling. Too many times I here that same quote.
i guess i just have higher standards for the first installment in a series of films that I GREW UP WITH and tresure...
Doyou have kids? I have a son who was about the same age as I was when I saw ANH, he LOVED TPM and it will become the Star Wars that he grows up with and treasures. Just think about that for a moment...;)

Anyway, back to Disney...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In my opinion, the current Star Tours/body Wars simulators need to go. With a movie legend the size of Star Wars, Disney need to deploy a whole new ride system to maximise the experience. Newer simulators, like Storm Rider at Tokyo Seas would seem to fit the bill. It is my hope that we wont just see a new film put into the current setup - but rather a whole new ride system and story.

RogueHabit

Original Poster
What kind of cost do the newer sims come out to. I seem to remember that some one said that the current ones were $250,000 each when the ride was originally built.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
What about they use the simulators that are to be used for Mission: SPACE?

well since disney is testing the new techology out for the 1st time. U would have to wait a few years for star tours to ever get done then. VCosidering MS wont be open till 2003 and then if u put that system and I dont know if u can though. But would take another year or 2 to get star tours going. Thats a long wait for me. :)

Javier&Christie

Originally posted by wdwmagic
In my opinion, the current Star Tours/body Wars simulators need to go. With a movie legend the size of Star Wars, Disney need to deploy a whole new ride system to maximise the experience. Newer simulators, like Storm Rider at Tokyo Seas would seem to fit the bill. It is my hope that we wont just see a new film put into the current setup - but rather a whole new ride system and story.

sounds good to us :)

woofboy111

Originally posted by monorail256
well.... i was talking to a disney cast member at tatooine traders last may and she said that they weren't even talking about it anymore and that if they would decide to change that they would only change half of the starspeeder 3000's (or whatever the heck they are called) which would give guest the coice of a flight to endor or a pod race.

I kind of like that idea! Like other people said, if only they update the ride system...

MrPromey

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
What about they use the simulators that are to be used for Mission: SPACE?

I don't see that happening, at least not any time soon. Mission Space will be the first to have this ride system and it will not be opening for another two years. Since the entire attraction is based around this ride systems technology, I don’t see them immediately spinning it off anywhere else in WDW with another theme - maybe in another location such as DL or one of the parks abroad but it seems unlikely for anywhere else in WDW. Take the Indy ride for example. How many years was that in operation at DL before WDW got Countdown/Dinosaur? :(

dopey

i have it on good source that the new star tours attraction will be based on the madcap antics of jar jar binks. the plan is to have jar jar mix it up with the pee-wee herman robot pilot. the script is supposedly hilarious!

MrPromey

Originally posted by dopey
i have it on good source that the new star tours attraction will be based on the madcap antics of jar jar binks. the plan is to have jar jar mix it up with the pee-wee herman robot pilot. the script is supposedly hilarious!

You’re just on a roll (or a bagel, or a loaf of bread) tonight, aren’t you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom