Star Tours II - Ride reviews

thelookingglass

Nobody got sick.. not sure where people are hearing that.

Its the same simulators, so if the first made you claustrophobic, it won't be any different in that regard.

jt04

Rode several times today and I'm simply amazed. This is absolutely the best thing Disney could have done with this overhaul!

THOUGHTS: (this contains SPOILERS, so if you want to be totally surprised, skip this post)

- Everything looks so fresh, clean, modern, and awesome. All the TVs were replaced with HD monitors. All the signage and lighting replaced. You'd never know this was the run down, dumpy ride it was 10 months ago.
- The simulators must have gotten some serious overhaul and not just cosmetically, because they too seem like brand new vehicles. They no longer rattle and squeek like they did near the end of Star Tours' life. The movement is noticeably more aggressive, fast, and accurate, making the ride considerably more thrilling than before.
- The screens look amazing and the 3D is great and not gimmicky.
- The ride is CGI, but the best looking CGI for a simulator yet. Blows The Simpsons ride away (even though that was CGI representing animation)
- Some people will probably complain about it being CGI, but it needed to be CGI to be that incredibly crisp and vibrant and smooth, and also enables them to more accurately program the vehicle motions. That said, this is the most accurate, realistic simulator I've ever experienced.
- The random sequences adds much excitement to the ride. People cheer when they arrive at a planet they haven't seen yet. With 54 different combinations that all flow awesomely, this is how random SHOULD be done!
- C3P0 as your pilot is awesome, and the animatronics are great! They even turn to look at the person who is the "spy" (which I'm still confused as to how they're chosen or how the picture is taken)
- This version is a MUCH better tribute to the Star Wars universe than the original ride. All the different characters, locations, etc, and with the light-hearted humor and quirkiness of the original trilogy.
- Thankfully, Lucas knew his audience, and while the ride is a perfect mix of original and new trilogy material, you don't have to be a "prequel nerd" to appreciate or understand any of this.
- Rex is in the second room of the queue, and he is labeled as "defective". Great touch! There are other various nods to the original here and there, but I don't want to spoil them.
- Locations/variations: I was able to catch all the sequences except the Speederbike one. They're all great, though it will take me more rides to pick my favorite. The transitions from light speed to planet surface (and planet surface to space) are very well done. Also, each finale has a totally different ending. Instead of just saying the same things at a different location, different things happen at the end of each scenario.
- The different environments you see are great - actually being on planets increases the sensation of speed, and its cool how your journey could take you to two planets, or a planet and space battle.

Very minor nitpicks:
- I know the ride film basically had to be CGI to have this kind of 3D effect to stay crisp while moving around, but I wish the pre-show scenes had not been CGI.
- What was the point of creating Ally San-San and Ace and making a big deal out of them? They are barely in it and I don't think their names are even mentioned or what their purpose is.
- Should have had James Earl Jones play Darth Vader. Oh, wait, apparently it WAS him. It didn't sound much like him.
- Why is it called "The Adventure Continues..." if this is a prequel?

All in all, Disney absolutely knocked it out of the park with this remake. They spared no expenses, and all of our worries about this being a cheap overhaul like what Space Mountain got can be put to rest! This wasn't just an overhaul and re-theme, this is a full-fledged, brand new E-Ticket attraction. In my opinion, this is by far the best thing to hit WDW since Expedition: Everest, and I think its going to be a huge hit!

Bravo, WDI! I knew you still had it in you!

Great review and very appreciated. Thank you for that!

I still maintain that the SM drama was caused by the misfortune of the overhaul being scheduled during a time if transition for the company. It was just bad timing but now we are completely past that era. TSMM was the first example of WDI under Iger and now we have that and the new Star Tours, the amazing HM finale, WoC and soon the Mermaid clones and Carsland.

The future is bright! :cool:

PorterRedkey

Wow! I have goosebumps!!! I won't be there til next year, but I think I might hit DHS for my first park, instead of MK. I want to ride it first thing when I get there!!!!

Thanks for the great report!

ERich2010

quick question for those who have ridden: everyone says the glasses are very sleek and fitting, almost like Oakleys. how will this affect people who wear glasses?

muse1983

First off, I can't even tell you how excited I am about ST2!! Especially after reading some of the positive reviews!!

However I have a question concerning the ride. A few people have stated that the entire ride including the pre-show are entirely in CG. Just to get it straight, every character including vader, boba fett and lei are 100% CGI? I remember hearing rumors about how Lucas was shooting several live action scenes for ST2 several months back and remember seeing some on location shots with what appeared to be some of the pre-show and they included live action actors.

If the entire attraction does in fact only include CGI, how does it hold up? Is it over the top cartoony or is it modern lifelike CGI?

Thanks!

First off, I can't even tell you how excited I am about ST2!! Especially after reading some of the positive reviews!!

However I have a question concerning the ride. A few people have stated that the entire ride including the pre-show are entirely in CG. Just to get it straight, every character including vader, boba fett and lei are 100% CGI? I remember hearing rumors about how Lucas was shooting several live action scenes for ST2 several months back and remember seeing some on location shots with what appeared to be some of the pre-show and they included live action actors.

If the entire attraction does in fact only include CGI, how does it hold up? Is it over the top cartoony or is it modern lifelike CGI?

Thanks!

There is some live action stuff during the pre-show, especially with boarding instructions (similar to Star Tours I). They also appeared to have added some live action characters to the CGI in some parts.

me_stitch

Premium Member
after reading some of the reviews I think ST2 is what I am most looking forward to on my upcoming trip now. October cant get here quick enough.

wizards8507

What's the vibe like within DHS itself? Is it being pumped up as a brand new attraction, or does it feel more like the reopening of a ride that has undergone refurbishment?

djkidkaz

Rode it today and I thought it was just ok. I'm not a huge star wars fan and I usually get sick in motion simulators. I didn't get sick but I had to stay focused to make sure I didn't. The ride does stop twice and that let me catch my bearings. The cgi and 3d was good. Overall I'd probably ride it again but it's still not a must do for me on every trip or anything.

CaptainWinter

how many segments?

Does anyone know how many different segments there are in ST2? I'm asking about the different sub-segments, not the 54 distinct combinations. (I'm guessing it's either 11 or 12.) Has anyone counted yet?

SJN1279

Quick question and I appreciate a non-spoiler answer if possible:

Does Yoda make an appearance(voice/character) in every ride, or does he hit the cutting room floor on certain versions? My biggest fear is riding the attraction and not seeing or hearing from the little green guy!

Be there May 26th before the Ed Kowalczyk(LIVE) concert at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal!

hpyhnt 1000

Does anyone know how many different segments there are in ST2? I'm asking about the different sub-segments, not the 54 distinct combinations. (I'm guessing it's either 11 or 12.) Has anyone counted yet?

There are 11 total segments split into 4 show parts. Part 1 has a choice of 2 segments with parts 2, 3, and 4 each having 3 segment choices, each one chosen randomly by a computer, resulting in 54 total ride combinations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom