Star Tours II 3D tentative reopening date - May 17 2011

Mr.EPCOT

DL and Studios getting the same upgrades to the ride.
The queues/exteriors are different, so its hard to compare, but neither is getting "more love" than the other.

Also, the Star Tours building at DL is much harder to access for refurbishment purposes. That could add a bit of time to the schedule.

Another thought that's occurred to me regarding the different overhaul timetables: haven't they been using the Body Wars simulators in Wonders of Life at EPCOT to help with development of the new Star Tours? Would having that on our coast make installation at our Star Tours easier? As an example, say one of the Body Wars simulators has been completely converted into the StarSpeeder 1000, effects and everything, it might be relatively simple to just switch out with one of the simulators at Star Tours. Just a possibility that might help account for the shorter turnover.

OFTeric

Another thought that's occurred to me regarding the different overhaul timetables: haven't they been using the Body Wars simulators in Wonders of Life at EPCOT to help with development of the new Star Tours? Would having that on our coast make installation at our Star Tours easier? As an example, say one of the Body Wars simulators has been completely converted into the StarSpeeder 1000, effects and everything, it might be relatively simple to just switch out with one of the simulators at Star Tours. Just a possibility that might help account for the shorter turnover.

Last I heard (this might be wrong) they have already be scrapped for parts for the current star speeders.

Future Guy

The queues/exteriors are different, so its hard to compare, but neither is getting "more love" than the other.

Also, the Star Tours building at DL is much harder to access for refurbishment purposes. That could add a bit of time to the schedule.

I was thinking that, too. After all, WDW's Star Tours resides in a building that was specifically made for it. DL's lives in an older structure that originally housed a completely different attraction. Really, there isn't a whole lot that would even need to change in the queue. Repaint the Starspeeder that R2 and 3PO are working on, maybe change the Calamari out of their Rebel uniforms, and you're done. Sure, it'd be nice to have an "interactive" 3PO a la TSMM's Mr. Potato Head, but it won't ruin the ride if it's not there.

How much do you want to bet, though, that they're going to replace Rex with a Gungan?

TP2000

That must be it.

Disneyland only has 4 Star Speeders to work on, while the DHS version has 6 Star Speeders. Fewer vehicles should mean a shorter rehab, but instead Disneyland is getting a rehab that is almost two months longer than the DHS version. :confused:

It was reported awhile back. that the Florida Star Tours would close later because of Star Wars celebration. there not going to close a Star Wars ride when there are forty thousand Star Wars fans coming from around the world.

Exprcoofto

Lee, do you know if either one will be receiving any changes to their exteriors?

Raychul

So if Star Tour closes on September 12th, does that mean it will be up and running on the 12th and closes for refurb after the park closes that night? Or does that mean it's last run is on the 11th?

I ask this because I will be getting in the morning of the 11th and would love to be there to ride it one last time on it's last day.

Ausdaddy

Thanks, Lee. A lot of people have asked about the apparent differences in the rehab schedules. I appreciate the insight.

TP2000

The Summer/Fall Rehab Calendar is out for Disneyland for Attraction rehabs that begin in July-August-September, with the end date for Star Tours included in the calendar:

7/19/10 - 7/24/10 Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
7/27/10 - 5/19/11 Star Tours
8/30/10 - 9/16/10 Haunted Mansion (Holiday Install)
9/7/10 - 9/30/10 Horse Drawn Streetcars
9/7/10 - 9/30/10 Main Street USA Vehicles
9/12/10 - 9/16/10 Space Mountain (Holiday Install)
9/20/10 - 12/16/10 Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
9/22/10 - 9/23/10 Indiana Jones Adventure
9/26/10 - 9/30/10 Mark Twain Riverboat

RSoxNo1

When is Tony Baxter making the improvements to Snow White in Disneyland?

Also, what's going on at Roger Rabbit to necessitate a 3 month refurb?

RAXIP

So if Star Tour closes on September 12th, does that mean it will be up and running on the 12th and closes for refurb after the park closes that night? Or does that mean it's last run is on the 11th?

I ask this because I will be getting in the morning of the 11th and would love to be there to ride it one last time on it's last day.

Actually, Star Tours final day of operation is September 7. It will be closed starting on the eight of September and reopen in May 2011.

TP2000

Also, what's going on at Roger Rabbit to necessitate a 3 month refurb?

Don't know that it's been talked about online yet, but it's been a couple of years since the last big rehab there at Roger. It's time for a rehab.

The six other dark rides in Fantasyland have all already had big multi-month rehabs in the last two years, and Roger Rabbit is the last one. If the previous rehabs to the other dark rides are any indication, Roger will probably be getting a good cleaning and painting and some tech upgrades to the lighting, audio and spefx inside the ride. (Like the digital projection effects added to Alice in '08, or the new audio and lighting added to Peter Pan in '09, etc.) The interior queue and facade at Roger is fairly detailed, so there's probably work to be done there too, although to be honest it was in good shape when I rode it in late June.

Cartoon%20Spin%201.jpg

Whatever they do, I'm sure that this 3 month rehab will RUIN VACATIONS! :hammer:

Back to Star Tours, one of the things that should give the rehab teams plenty of opportunities is working on the exterior of the attractions. But at Disneyland, the exterior is really pretty basic and simple. But the DHS version of Star Tours has a far more elaborate and detailed exterior, and should give them plenty to work on with cleaning, painting, repair, etc.

Disneyland Star Tours
DSC01718.JPG

Disney Hollywood Studios Star Tours
usa-2008.1202317200.star-tours.jpg

There's plenty more detail and theme and square footage to cover on the exterior of Star Tours at DHS!

AEfx

When is Tony Baxter making the improvements to Snow White in Disneyland?

Any more info on this? I haven't heard of it before, and SWSA is my favorite ride.

I have to say I was pretty floored by the Disneyland version - superior to ours in just about every respect. In fact, it's the only ride that I felt was significantly better than our version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom