Standby Pass at WDW?

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
Any thoughts or rumors on Disneyland Paris's Standby Pass system being implemented along with the Premier Access system? Think it would make sense to launch these together as a set, but not sure how they would implement it in the current setup.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Curious why not. I was actually thinking with overflow on lines like FoP moving to virtual when they hit a certain standby it might be possible to distribute to underutilized attractions in a better way than we do currently even with FP+.

Imagine if you're at HS and have a park hopper and would like to leave HS at 1:30pm to head to EPCOT for the rest of the day.
If TOT, RNRC, TSM, and SDD all have reached their standby limit and you have to get standby passes to come back and still have to wait in each line individually and your windows are not starting until 1:30pm how well would that work?
You would either have to skip attractions in order to park hop and then what get more standby pass windows or maybe stay at HS and not get to go to EPCOT.
What's the point of them selling park hopper when people are just going to be standing around one park all day waiting on just a couple of attractions windows to come up to then go wait in the line.
Even legacy FP would be a better option at this point.

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
Imagine if you're at HS and have a park hopper and would like to leave HS at 1:30pm to head to EPCOT for the rest of the day.
If TOT, RNRC, TSM, and SDD all have reached their standby limit and you have to get standby passes to come back and still have to wait in each line individually and your windows are not starting until 1:30pm how well would that work?
You would either have to skip attractions in order to park hop and then what get more standby pass windows or maybe stay at HS and not get to go to EPCOT.
What's the point of them selling park hopper when people are just going to be standing around one park all day waiting on just a couple of attractions windows to come up to then go wait in the line.
Even legacy FP would be a better option at this point.
I don't disagree necessarily, but I do that in long standby lines already for the most part and sometimes park hop to avoid them. But if I could enter a virtual queue for Test Track lets say and stand in a standby line for a few other things, eat lunch, and come back in a half hour window, I might enjoy that a ton more.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't disagree necessarily, but I do that in long standby lines already for the most part and sometimes park hop to avoid them. But if I could enter a virtual queue for Test Track lets say and stand in a standby line for a few other things, eat lunch, and come back in a half hour window, I might enjoy that a ton more.

But that's not what Standby Pass is.
Its not a virtual queue.
Its a... we aren't going to let you wait in this line right now. Come back later. And THEN you can wait in this long line.
If that happens to you at multiple attractions then what are you left to do? stand around...
Essentially what you want is legacy FP and that is not what this is.

Last edited:

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
But that's not what Standby Pass is.
Its not a virtual queue.
Its a... we aren't going to let you wait in this line right now. Come back later. And THEN you can wait in this long line.
If that happens to you at multiple attractions then what are you left to do? stand around...
Essentially what you want is legacy FP and that is not what this is.
My understanding was that when the standby queues filled up you got times to come back in half hour slots allowing you to get on line then but not for front of the line access, so in essence I'd still have to wait the same amount of time as if I'd stood there but I don't have to till I'm at whatever point the line would have been at.

Am I saying that correctly?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My understanding was that when the standby queues filled up you got times to come back in half hour slots allowing you to get on line then but not for front of the line access, so in essence I'd still have to wait the same amount of time as if I'd stood there but I don't have to till I'm at whatever point the line would have been at.

Am I saying that correctly?

That is correct so you can see its really not doing you as a guest much good.
You say oh I'll just go do xyz attractions while I wait to wait in this line but what if those lines are at their capacity as well?
At least with FP or FP+ or some new paid for version you could get return times in which you would stand in a MINIMAL line vs the full line and you had the option to wait in however long or short of a line you wanted instead of being told nope you're not allowed.
They had tested taking away the option to wait in a line at Soarin once and guests are absolutely outraged nearly rioting so that test ended quickly.
People want the option to wait.

Last edited:

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
W
That is correct so you can see its really not doing you as a guest much good.
You say oh I'll just go do xyz attractions while I wait to wait in this line but what if those lines are at their capacity as well?
At least with FP or FP+ or some new paid for version you could get return times in which you would stand in a MINIMAL line vs the full line.
Well that's true, but if we only offer it on select attractions could it improve the crowd distribution we'll be losing with FP? I was always a believer that the old system made my waits worse on other attractions anyway, I see this as a way to actually improve the overall flow

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Well I appreciate it! Do you think their is a system we can pair with the new paid FP model that might work better?

I personally think we are going to see a system that doesn't look too different than FP+.
Something like buy x amount of FP's for x amount of days (IF they even put a paid system in place at all). I do wish they would make them work more like anytime fastpasses did though where you just walk up and use it instead of picking a specific attraction at a specific time.
I hope they let people wait in a 5 hour standby line if they want and I'm not against VQ for new attractions but there should be a cap as to how long that attraction stays like that.

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
I personally think we are going to see a system that doesn't look too different than FP+.
Something like buy x amount of FP's for x amount of days (IF they even put a paid system in place at all). I do wish they would make them work more like anytime fastpasses did though where you just walk up and use it instead of picking a specific attraction at a specific time.
I hope they let people wait in a 5 hour standby line if they want and I'm not against VQ for new attractions but there should be a cap as to how long that attraction stays like that.
I think the real question will be about the price point. I don't think the equivalent of $10 per person per ride is going to be widely used here, but that may be the idea to limit use and impact on standby lines.

Jon81uk

IIRC DPA premiered in Paris today. Any reports on how it went?

Its been available the last few days. I've seen reports of very little take up and regular queues being short and moving quickly.
Apparently this week a full BTM queue only took 30 minutes and a full to the entrance ToT queue was only 20.
With standby that short who would be paying!

Weather_Lady

ca233f3e-69af-4502-871e-5fcda710b4f9_text.gif

LOL, don't give Disney World any ideas! They'll simply redouble their current strategy of short-staffing and insufficient capacity to further increase wait times and manufacture demand for a paid skip-the-line system!

Jon81uk

Its been available the last few days. I've seen reports of very little take up and regular queues being short and moving quickly.
Apparently this week a full BTM queue only took 30 minutes and a full to the entrance ToT queue was only 20.

I've just had a look on the DLP app, Nothing seems to have more than a 40 minute wait. So you can pay €15 to ride Peter Pans flight right now, or wait in line for 40 minutes and ride for free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom