SSR studio over BWV one bed?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Amid the COVID talk I wanted to get some opinions on the move I made today in regards to a Thanksgiving trip I have planned.
Already booked at Kidani for a one bed from Thanksgiving on. But prior to that we are doing Uni for 2 nights and another DVC resort for 4. Pickings were slim with pretty much a choice between a preferred Saratoga studio or a garden view 1 bed at Boardwalk. We picked the SSR studio. Dumb move?
It's over 65 points less total and my wife thinks my daughter will love the Murphy bed in the renovated rooms. Plus BWV(the rooms) looked a bit bland. We are traveling with our 2 kids.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Amid the COVID talk I wanted to get some opinions on the move I made today in regards to a Thanksgiving trip I have planned.
Already booked at Kidani for a one bed from Thanksgiving on. But prior to that we are doing Uni for 2 nights and another DVC resort for 4. Pickings were slim with pretty much a choice between a preferred Saratoga studio or a garden view 1 bed at Boardwalk. We picked the SSR studio. Dumb move?
It's over 65 points less total and my wife thinks my daughter will love the Murphy bed in the renovated rooms. Plus BWV looked a bit bland. We are traveling with our 2 kids.

One bedroom at Boardwalk would be nice, but preferred studio at SSR is good too and those 65 points you saved will come in handy for future travel.
Preferred at SSR will get you either the Springs or Congress Park. We like SSR and have stayed in the Congress Park section a few times. There are great views from Congress Park looking out at Disney Springs and the walkway over to DS is very nice and a short walk over to DS if you like going over there. We do and when we stay at SSR we make multiple trips over to DS. The Springs section is a little closer to the main building, restaurants and main pool, but we prefer the view from Congress Park and like the quiet pool at Congress Park and the feature pool at the Paddock section.
Sometimes SSR gets a bad rap for being so big and spread out, but we think it is a great place with lovely grounds and landscaping, five different pools, including two with water slides, and again, the easy walk (or boat ride if you prefer) to DS.
I say you made a great choice unless the one bedroom is real important or the proximity to Epcot matters, then maybe the extra points at BW might be worth it to you. Not for me, but again, we really like SSR.

BASS

It's over 65 points less total and my wife thinks my daughter will love the Murphy bed in the renovated rooms. Plus BWV(the rooms) looked a bit bland. We are traveling with our 2 kids.

I'm not a DVC member so I don't know what a 65 point difference is, but I much prefer Boardwalk over Saratoga (if all else is equal).

I personally find the Boardwalk to be a gorgeous hotel. The location is fantastic considering its proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I have no idea how "germaphobic" we are all going to be after all this is said and done, but it may be more convenient to walk to Epcot than the public transportation you'll be required to utilize from Saratoga. The boat ride from Boardwalk to HS is also far less cramped than bus.

I also find the Boardwalk area at night and the various restaurants in that area to be a big draw.

correcaminos

Ask this in the DVC section too. Keep in mind SSR is not fully renovated. Only some of the preferred rooms are finished and have the murphy bed. So with everything going on, as far as I heard refurbs were halted. You have a shot at a refurbed room but not guaranteed. If the bed is the only deciding issue for you, go fro BWV.

Tinkerfan4ever

Does having a kitchen or washer/dryer in your room appeal to you? Would you prefer to have separate sleeping arrangements for the adults?
I am a DVC owner at Boardwalk so I might be a bit biased, but I would almost always choose the 1bedroom over a studio. I like being able to put the younger kids to sleep in the living room portion of the room, and then be able to watch tv in a separate room without waking them up. Also we use the washer/dryer nightly and go home with all of our laundry done. We do cook breakfast in the room as well and the kitchen does appeal to us.

As for the resorts themselves, we really like walking to 2 parks from Boardwalk and we enjoy the entertainment on the boardwalk at night. Be sure to get ice cream at Ample Hills! When we stayed at Saratoga Springs, we enjoyed trying many different pools and the ease of going to Disney Springs.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Does having a kitchen or washer/dryer in your room appeal to you? Would you prefer to have separate sleeping arrangements for the adults?
I am a DVC owner at Boardwalk so I might be a bit biased, but I would almost always choose the 1bedroom over a studio. I like being able to put the younger kids to sleep in the living room portion of the room, and then be able to watch tv in a separate room without waking them up. Also we use the washer/dryer nightly and go home with all of our laundry done. We do cook breakfast in the room as well and the kitchen does appeal to us.

As for the resorts themselves, we really like walking to 2 parks from Boardwalk and we enjoy the entertainment on the boardwalk at night. Be sure to get ice cream at Ample Hills! When we stayed at Saratoga Springs, we enjoyed trying many different pools and the ease of going to Disney Springs.
Oh I do like having the extra room, and especially the washing machine. But, we are going to be in a one bed in at the end if the trip for 4 nights, and with the kids only getting bigger, not sure how many more of these studio trips we can pull off. My wife said she is happy with this move so happy wife...etc, but personally I would have probably gone for BW too. I will need to rent a car though I think.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Ask this in the DVC section too. Keep in mind SSR is not fully renovated. Only some of the preferred rooms are finished and have the murphy bed. So with everything going on, as far as I heard refurbs were halted. You have a shot at a refurbed room but not guaranteed. If the bed is the only deciding issue for you, go fro BWV.
If a studio opens up, we would move, and I guess I will request Congress Park and hope for the best.

Jon81uk

We're not DVC so paid for Saratoga. The only good thing about the resort was walking to Disney Springs (well Downtown Disney when we stayed there). The whole resort felt too spread out, too quiet and the bus felt like it took ages.

Definitely if you stay there try for Congress Park to be close to Disney Springs and not far from the central building.

But personally I would rather be at a better themed more lively resort closer to the parks.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
We're not DVC so paid for Saratoga. The only good thing about the resort was walking to Disney Springs (well Downtown Disney when we stayed there). The whole resort felt too spread out, too quiet and the bus felt like it took ages.

Definitely if you stay there try for Congress Park to be close to Disney Springs and not far from the central building.

But personally I would rather be at a better themed more lively resort closer to the parks.
Considering we will be there Thanksgiving week(if its open) quiet might be just what we need.

epcotisbest

The only good thing about the resort was walking to Disney Springs

If this is the only good thing you found about SSR then you have much higher standards than we do. Of course, I like reading stuff like that as it might help with availability when we go back, which is often. We have now stayed at almost all the DVCs and rank SSR right up there near the top (for us and our likes).
Of course, everyone is different, but we like the SSR rooms, balconies where I enjoy breakfast and especially like late evenings, especially like the location, love the grounds and beautiful landscaping, enjoy the option of five different pools, the restaurant there is great, activities are nice with movies on the grounds, bike rental, crafts and more, plenty of pool activities and the expansive, quiet property really appeals to us.
As you mentioned, walking to Disney Springs is a nice, scenic walk and that opens you up to a wide variety of dining options, more than at any other resort are withing walking distance (unless you count walking to Epcot from Boardwalk, Beach Club etc...but that requires park admission).
Anyway, I am saddened you did not enjoy SSR. We enjoy it very much so I guess it is like they say, something for everyone. This was not for you, it is for us. Funny how we come away with completely different experiences from the same place.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

If this is the only good thing you found about SSR then you have much higher standards than we do. Of course, I like reading stuff like that as it might help with availability when we go back, which is often. We have now stayed at almost all the DVCs and rank SSR right up there near the top (for us and our likes).
Of course, everyone is different, but we like the SSR rooms, balconies where I enjoy breakfast and especially like late evenings, especially like the location, love the grounds and beautiful landscaping, enjoy the option of five different pools, the restaurant there is great, activities are nice with movies on the grounds, bike rental, crafts and more, plenty of pool activities and the expansive, quiet property really appeals to us.
As you mentioned, walking to Disney Springs is a nice, scenic walk and that opens you up to a wide variety of dining options, more than at any other resort are withing walking distance (unless you count walking to Epcot from Boardwalk, Beach Club etc...but that requires park admission).
Anyway, I am saddened you did not enjoy SSR. We enjoy it very much so I guess it is like they say, something for everyone. This was not for you, it is for us. Funny how we come away with completely different experiences from the same place.

Sounds like you spend a lot more time at the resort than we do. We would leave by 9am for the parks and stay for fireworks so returning late at night. Only used the pool once. We did like eating at Downtown Disney on the days we weren’t at parks as late, but the resort didn’t offer anything which I didn’t think was better at Port Orleans or Wilderness Lodge.

But that’s the great thing about having so many choices, there is something for us all, different tastes and budgets.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Update, well at first I thought the choice was made for me as the BWV room disappeared. Then I checked again today and there it was, so I decided to just borrow another 60 points from next year and book the one bedroom. I would hate for us to end up in a non-renovated studio at SSR which could still happen and the extra space is going to be really awesome. Plus being able to rent boats or use the community hall so close really appealed to me too, as the crowds might be a bit much.
One last factor, if we decide to bring another guest (my mom or a niece) it is at least on the table.
I appreciated all the input.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Update, well at first I thought the choice was made for me as the BWV room disappeared. Then I checked again today and there it was, so I decided to just borrow another 60 points from next year and book the one bedroom. I would hate for us to end up in a non-renovated studio at SSR which could still happen and the extra space is going to be really awesome. Plus being able to rent boats or use the community hall so close really appealed to me too, as the crowds might be a bit much.
One last factor, if we decide to bring another guest (my mom or a niece) it is at least on the table.
So you no longer need to be concerned about MK transportation from the WL? 😉 😁

correcaminos

Sounds like the right move!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom