SSE Contributor Ray Bradbury Has Died

Atomicmickey

Just came here to post this. What a great imagination he had. I would say that his philosophies are an integral part of the spirit of the orignal EPCOT.
Sad to think that he is gone, but he has left us, and future generations, so much.

The Mom

Premium Member
Walt Disney Company made a movie of his book, "Something Wicked This Way Comes" in 1983. I read the book (I read all of his books) in the 60s, then watched the movie on the Disney Channel when my eldest was little.

Joni Mitchell also made an obscure reference to it in her song "Roses Blue" when she sings "and only with your laughter can you win." Read the book if you want an explanation. ;)

atsolomon

Ray Bradbury on working with Disney Imagineering

Ray Bradbury, the amazing science fiction author, passed away yesterday. He worked with Imagineering on several occasions, notably on Spaceship Earth.

He briefly talks about this relationship about 22 minutes into this interview on NPR's Fresh Air: http://www.npr.org/2000/11/17/1114088/writer-ray-bradbury

Bradbury's statement that we need to have a positive future we believe in so we can fulfill it gels well with Disney's Tomorrowland at its best.

DznyRktekt

Walt Disney Company made a movie of his book, "Something Wicked This Way Comes" in 1983. I read the book (I read all of his books) in the 60s, then watched the movie on the Disney Channel when my eldest was little.

Joni Mitchell also made an obscure reference to it in her song "Roses Blue" when she sings "and only with your laughter can you win." Read the book if you want an explanation. ;)

Excellent movie. Scared me quite a bit as a kid. Kind of dark, no pun intended. That movie always pops into my head anytime I see a carousel. Interesting that Mr. Dark is Governor Swan in Pirates. Come to think of it, if Spaceship Earth needs another narrator someday, he'd be a good candidate.

In my 8th grade English class, our assignment was to write to an author of choice. I chose Mr. Ray Bradbury. A few weeks after sending my note, Mr. Bradbury replied to me and answered each of my questions on a personally written post card with a photo of the Louvre on the front. Very nice of him to take the time to reply.

RobBlock

Wow.

Wow. Ray Bradbury has always been one of my favorite authors. I first started reading his books 35 years ago. I still have most of my original paperbacks in my library here at home. It's been a long time since I've read any of them. I was at Barnes and Noble last night to buy the new D23 magazine and a book for my son. I was heading down the Sci-Fi/Fantasy aisle, when I looked to the right and my eye caught some of the Ray Bradbury books. I suddenly remembered that I had lost my copy of The Martian Chronicles probably 10 years ago in one of many house moves. So, on a whim I picked up a new copy. Tuesday evening. I suppose I'll have to re-read it now.

SMRT-1

rip

tumblr_lxwe5aMZSu1r1pz1eo1_1280.jpg

The Mom

Premium Member
How could I have overlooked "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit." It was a Touchstone production, and a family favorite. It starred Joe Mantegna, Esai Morales, Edward James Olmos and Gregory Sierra. I've lent it out to many, many friends with young children - a funny movie that both children and parents can enjoy together. :)

scpergj

My wife and I have been discussing Mr. Bradbury's works with our son - he is 14 and next year will be a freshman in High School. The program he will be in is an advanced study program, and one of the books they were assigned to read is Farenheit 451. None of us knew of his envolvement with Spaceship Earth...which is one of our favorite things at EPCOT. The world has lost another great imagination.

RIP, Ray Bradbury.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom