SSE colors - just curious about lighter colors

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
Well, I went to EPCOT today and also Thursday nite and SSE was really different looking as far as the colors at night.

I always take tons of pics of SSE at night and it is that purple-blue color. The last few days it has been much lighter in color. Even white and yellow as we were leaving the park.

I am posting a "normal" pic which is basically what it always looks like at park closing and also posting a pic of what it looked like today.

I kind of like it lighter. Any opinions? I wish I had pics from when it looked even lighter than this. It just seems to be losing its color. :lookaroun

Can anyone tell me how they light SSE? Do they have a set scheme or do the colors change and be different each night?

I know in these pics there isn't a huge difference in color - I missed getting a pic when it was much lighter.

March .....................................................Today
2313756008_a41baf6a31_m.jpg
2894108614_f1f12031db_m.jpg

Here is another pic from tonight - just really lighter in color - not so much purple - and this was at park closing when it is usually quite dark. Wonder if they are going to be having these colors change some. I like that a lot.

2894335886_4d9659c8a2_m.jpg

Basically SSE had more of the yellow-white color all over and was just faded looking. It started to change back to the pink-purple but it was really light peach, yellow and grey for a while.

EPCOT Explorer

WOW..When you texted me about this,I really had no idea what to think.:lol:

Yeah, I can see the difference...It's very odd looking.It must have been a thrill to see SSE in a different color and to color change...I wonder if they are finally digging that effect back up?:shrug:That would be great!

Thanks for the news, Ms. Nut!:lol::wave:

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
WOW..When you texted me about this,I really had no idea what to think.:lol:

Yeah, I can see the difference...It's very odd looking.It must have been a thrill to see SSE in a different color and to color change...I wonder if they are finally digging that effect back up?:shrug:That would be great!

Thanks for the news, Ms. Nut!:lol::wave:

I really wish I had gotten a pic when it was duller and lighter. I just wonder about the colors and if they have some kind of a rhyme or reason to it.

yankspy

Well, I went to EPCOT today and also Thursday nite and SSE was really different looking as far as the colors at night.

I always take tons of pics of SSE at night and it is that purple-blue color. The last few days it has been much lighter in color. Even white and yellow as we were leaving the park.

I am posting a "normal" pic which is basically what it always looks like at park closing and also posting a pic of what it looked like today.

I kind of like it lighter. Any opinions? I wish I had pics from when it looked even lighter than this. It just seems to be losing its color. :lookaroun

Can anyone tell me how they light SSE? Do they have a set scheme or do the colors change and be different each night?

I know in these pics there isn't a huge difference in color - I missed getting a pic when it was much lighter.

March .....................................................Today
2313756008_a41baf6a31_m.jpg
2894108614_f1f12031db_m.jpg

Basically SSE had more of the yellow-white color all over and was just faded looking. It started to change back to the pink-purple but it was really light peach, yellow and grey for a while.
Sounds like someone sampled too much wine at the festival today.:lol: Actually, from those two pics it does look less purpley (is that a word) in today's shot. I did a search and I could not find anything related to any lighting change.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
The color gels on the lights that give it color fade over time maybe?
:shrug:

We were trying to figure that out walking out. You would think if it wasn't intentional they would replace something like that. :eek: I've just never seen it so bland, and with so much white at walk out. It was darkening before I could get pics, though. :lol: I really didn't drink THAT much these last few days to where my eyes were playing tricks on me. It was DEFINATELY not as vibrant in the past.

I came back to the resort and went through tons of pics and couldn't find any as light as what I saw....sure regret not getting a pic tonight to properly illustrate. :(

EPCOT Explorer

Sounds like someone sampled too much wine at the festival today.:lol: Actually, from those two pics it does look less purpley (is that a word) in today's shot. I did a search and I could not find anything related to any lighting change.

It's not the purple that's the issue...It's that grey white hugh in the center. Apparently that was the color of most of the sphere.

And a few months ago there were NUMEROUS threads on this as SSE recieved it's color changing palms.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster

It was waaaay less purpley, man! And yeah that is a good color word. :lol: Noooo it had some really fugly yellow. When we were walking out Thursday it was very white-yellow when it is normally that purple color.

I am kicking myself for not getting a pic but Thursday I was full of Guinness and Harp and just didn't get the pictures. It really looks nice lighter and contrasts really well in night shots.

yankspy

It's not the purple that's the issue...It's that grey white hugh in the center. Apparently that was the color of most of the sphere.

And a few months ago there were NUMEROUS threads on this as SSE recieved it's color changing palms.
Okay so I did not search well enough.:D I meant to say that there seemed to be more of that center whitish color covering a larger area and less of the blue/purple from that picture

EpcotServo

We were trying to figure that out walking out. You would think if it wasn't intentional they would replace something like that. :eek: I've just never seen it so bland, and with so much white at walk out. It was darkening before I could get pics, though. :lol: I really didn't drink THAT much these last few days to where my eyes were playing tricks on me. It was DEFINATELY not as vibrant in the past.

I came back to the resort and went through tons of pics and couldn't find any as light as what I saw....sure regret not getting a pic tonight to properly illustrate. :(

No need to fear, SERVO is here! I took 10 or 11 SSE night-shots on my way out in new-camera glory. I'll go through tomorrow and find if any can be used as an example.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
Okay so I did not search well enough.:D I meant to say that there seemed to be more of that center whitish color covering a larger area and less of the blue/purple from that picture

I just really notice more colors changing. Back in March and visits prior I could take the same pic with the same color an hour apart and it would be the same shot. Now it's changing - I don't know how long I would have had to stand there and wait for it to lighten back up but I had a tired and cranky husband who just would not let me. :lol:

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
No need to fear, SERVO is here! I took 10 or 11 SSE night-shots on my way out in new-camera glory. I'll go through tomorrow and find if any can be used as an example.

Awwww - you are the best. :kiss: Thanks. I'm trying to see if I can break away from WWW and go back to EPCOT again tomorrow nice and just stand there at SSE and watch it. It's hard to do that with Mr. tired in tow, though. :lookaroun

yankspy

Awwww - you are the best. :kiss: Thanks. I'm trying to see if I can break away from WWW and go back to EPCOT again tomorrow nice and just stand there at SSE and watch it. It's hard to do that with Mr. tired in tow, though. :lookaroun
It makes me laugh how couples can have the same disagreements. There have been countless times when I have patiently waited for my wife to get that perfect night shot before I finally say "Take the dam picture already".

P.S. I wish I could have been there today to meet all you in person. I hope you all had a great time.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
It makes me laugh how couples can have the same disagreements. There have been countless times when I have patiently waited for my wife to get that perfect night shot before I finally say "Take the dam picture already".

P.S. I wish I could have been there today to meet all you in person. I hope you all had a great time.

We had an awesome time. There is nothing like hanging out in the parks with a bunch of Uber-Disney-Geeks that you talk to online. :lookaroun:lol: Fanfreakingtastic.

I would love to meet you, by the way - you would have had a blast and felt like part of a great big family - at least that is what I feel like at these events.

And yeah about the disagreements. My husband gets tired of being in the parks. He has been snoozing in the room for the last hour while I am posting pics and talking to everyone on this site. :lookaroun

dandaman

Well, to offer somewhat of a comparison, this was taken a month ago to the date...

IMG_2751.jpg

Versus October 2007

IMG_1017.jpg

Same camera, for the record, however on complete opposite sides of the ol' Bucky Ball.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
I updated post #1 with this other pic from today

2894335886_4d9659c8a2_m.jpg

It's a little blurry :lol: but really the colors were so much lighter. And the yellow is really showing on the underside and the sides of SSE.

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
Well, to offer somewhat of a comparison, this was taken a month ago to the date...

IMG_2751.jpg

Versus October 2007

IMG_1017.jpg

Same camera, for the record, however on complete opposite sides of the ol' Bucky Ball.

yeah - so much more blue than today. I am just used to seeing a lot more of the blue color. I don't know what I like better - actually I like it with much less color. But wow your second pic has a lot of light color on it, too. Not so much that all-over peach-pink that I was seeing.

:lol::lol: All these comparison pics are so interesting. I think the colors are totally random. They are nice to look at but WOW the large amount of white in your first picture is just gorgeous. So a month ago there was a lot more white than a year ago.

That's what I thought I was seeing - COOL.

Hrudey3032

We had an awesome time. There is nothing like hanging out in the parks with a bunch of Uber-Disney-Geeks that you talk to online. :lookaroun:lol: Fanfreakingtastic.

I would love to meet you, by the way - you would have had a blast and felt like part of a great big family - at least that is what I feel like at these events.

And yeah about the disagreements. My husband gets tired of being in the parks. He has been snoozing in the room for the last hour while I am posting pics and talking to everyone on this site. :lookaroun

Well I wish I were in the World for a visit but I am not seeing that happening anytime soon.I guess I will have to see all the pics posted on here to keep my fix of Disney and Ubernerdness.

BTW Finally glad to be back after 2 weeks without internet due to my POS broadband card messing up.It is amazing how quickly you go thru WDWMagic withdrawl :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`m glad it wasn`t me - in July I thought it looked lighter at certain times.

The original scheme consisted of the banks of spotlights slowly fading in and out, with each set of lights being a different colour. The yellow is so classic - its the strip lighting above the doors of the stores hitting the underside. Back in the day the path lighting around the queue gave this illumination too. The yellow further out is new ;)

Here are some of the original schemes
attachment.php

And here it is from this July

Attachments

• IMG_6231web.jpg
    IMG_6231web.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 22

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom