spur of the moment

Steel City Magic

Original Poster
So my wdw trips arent going to be the most conventional... My fiance is about to become a flight attendant, I'll be able to fly free anytime i please. So my question is where might i find the cheapest bed and shower for the night if i have 2 days off and decide to hop a flight to the world with a day or two notice? Will all this fastpass+ business and restaurant reservations make it difficult for me or the both of us to make these kind spur of the moment of trips? Would I be better finding a crash pad for the night on one of those couch surfing sites?

Last edited:

Steel City Magic

Original Poster
I'm just worried besides a hotel room that fastpass+ and the trend of micromanaging a wdw trip 6 months in advance now makes my kind of trip not possible?

Soarin' Over Pgh

Go to Disneyland instead...no micromanaging needed, there's tons of "good neighbor" hotels around the park, within walking distance.... And it's freakin Disneyland. Cmon!

:)

Congrats on the engagement, when's the wedding?

sjhym333

I think a last minute trip to wdw can be a great adventure. I think in terms of food you may need to be flexible with restaurants that book out several months ahead, but there are always great options along the way. It will also depend on the time of year. As for FP+, there have been a lot of talk about things booking up but if you read many posts (and my experience) is that FP options open up all day. Since I am local my trips tend to be very last minute and I have often been able to pick up even the most popular attractions on the fly...not everytime, but often enough. On one of the other threads somewhere someone shared that they picked up both 7DMT and a Anna meet and greet the day of over Thanksgiving.

If you plan to do several visits you may want to do an AP if you don't already have one and don't forget both Universal and SeaWorld offer great AP rates and are worth exploring.

jprieur

We are AP holders and do plenty of last min trips (some 3-4 days some longer) and usually just book a value hotel for those trips. Typically POP century and often between $70-95/night with pass holder discount. While this is a bit more expensive than some offsite motel 6 that would run a few bucks and night cheaper, all the added perks of Magical Express from the airport (saves about 80-90 in cab fares) as well as negating the need for a rental car, etc make the value resort worth it.

If you think you will spend more than 10 days onsite over the course of the next 12 months, def pick up an AP so you can unlock the better hotel rates, as well as dining and merch discounts. We took it one step further and bought the tables in wonderland for $100 so now we save 20% on our meals. We do a Table Service every night so its paid for itself in the first trip.

When it comes to planning and FP+ etc, you will find that indeed a lot of people do cancel FP last min because they decide to do a different park, kid gets sick, etc so you can sneak in the occasional high demand event last min. We have even booked BOG within 24 hours thanks to the new cancellation cash penalty.

Good luck!

dreamfinder

So my wdw trips arent going to be the most conventional... My fiance is about to become a flight attendant, I'll be able to fly free anytime i please. So my question is where might i find the cheapest bed and shower for the night if i have 2 days off and decide to hop a flight to the world with a day or two notice? Will all this fastpass+ business and restaurant reservations make it difficult for me or the both of us to make these kind spur of the moment of trips? Would I be better finding a crash pad for the night on one of those couch surfing sites?

Thats the type of scenario where you stop worrying about FP+. Being able to drop in at any time sounds like a great time to get an AP, and then just enjoy yourself. That may mean some trips you spend the whole day riding It's A Small World, but other trips you just loop on Big Thunder. If you don't mind a value resort, it may be easier than trying to grab a rental and figure out a couch to crash on.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does it need to be onsite, or are you OK with offsite?

MaryJaneP

offsite will save you $ and may be more flexible re: last minute availability. Also, most we have stayed at had complimentary transport to DTD, where you used to be able to catch transport to parks. Last minute may make ADR and FP+ difficult if not impossible. You seem like a chill person and may be able to tolerate some waiting in lines for rides and/or seats at restaurants. best of luck to you and your fiancé.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
offsite will save you $ and may be more flexible re: last minute availability. Also, most we have stayed at had complimentary transport to DTD, where you used to be able to catch transport to parks.
There are no theme park buses from DTD; the buses go only to resorts.

Staying offsite may be cheaper, but @Steel City Magic would need transport from the airport to the hotel. Disney's Magical Express is free, so no rental car, taxi or shuttle required. A Disney value resort may end beIng cheaper if transportation costs do not need to factor in to total cost.

sgtmgd

Value resorts are not overtly expensive and as previously stated staying on sites offers more bang for you dollar. With just you and your Fiance negotiating the parks last minute shouldn't be too difficult you just need to get familiar with mydisneyexperience.com and plan as you can. There are always places to eat and fast pass+ isn't "required" to have fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do quite a few spur of the moment trips and the key is flexibility and tempering your expectations.

The harsh reality is that restaurants like BoG and Ohana are most likely out of the question, but you can almost always find somewhere to eat. If we are making ADRs a little in advance we simply pull up all the availability for a particular meal and/or time and pick from what is there. If we do it day of, we filter by location as well.

FP+ should not be a problem save for maybe 7DMT and the Frozen meet n greet. So far we have only been able to do day of FP+ reservations and have not had a problem getting everything we want even when the parks are busy. We had to be flexible on the times, but the availability was there.

dreamfinder

Completely ok with offsite, if its within walking distance/bus of the park. Basically just a bed and shower. Not picky.

Offsite would be bus only. Outside of the BC/YC/BW/Swan/Dolphin walking to DHS/Epcot, and Contemporary walking to MK, you really can't walk to any park. No sidewalks, and security/police will likely pick you up if they see you walking on the side of the road.

Just picked a random weekday in March, March 10th. All Star Movies shows up at $135 rack, with some of the others on Spring Special for $125ish. The Holiday Inn at DTD is $125 for that same night. You can find other hotels for $70-80 or so from brands I would trust per night that same time. All Star would include MDE and on site transportation. The offsite would require you to either rent a car or take a Mears bus/taxi to the hotel, and then either take their scheduled shuttle or pay to park on property. Both could end up costing roughly the same for a short one/two person trip.

Redhawk

I do quite a few spur of the moment trips and the key is flexibility and tempering your expectations.

The harsh reality is that restaurants like BoG and Ohana are most likely out of the question...

Depends on what time of year you go. If you go at the slow times of year (and there are still a few), eat meals early or late, and are flexible, you can dine at most any restaurant on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom