Spring things on ground in Kilamanjaro Safaris

EPCOTPluto

If they are usually between structures or rocks, they are road sensors & bars to prevent animals from venturing between sections.

Phonedave

If they are usually between structures or rocks, they are road sensors & bars to prevent animals from venturing between sections.

Yep, they are there to stop animals from moving from one "zone" to another, while still allowing vehicles to pass.

They are otherwise known as cattle grates.

The animals do not like to walk across them.

-dave

DisneyWall-E

No, Cindy'sBruno is refering to the makeshift burlap+wooden stake looking fences that were up at least a 2 weeks ago when we were there. I think they were up around the elephant sections.

Rob562

In the past they've had to put up temporary fences within the savannah when working on drainage issues or utility work. Chances are that's what the temporary fences are for.

-Rob

WDsMouse

In the past they've had to put up temporary fences within the savannah when working on drainage issues or utility work. Chances are that's what the temporary fences are for.

-Rob

I used to work in Animal Programs. They put up the fences around the elephant area when a new animal is being introduced into the savannah. There is a large moat separating the savannah and the elephants and they don't want the new animal (usually antelope) getting spooked, running and accidently falling into the pit.

Rob562

I used to work in Animal Programs. They put up the fences around the elephant area when a new animal is being introduced into the savannah. There is a large moat separating the savannah and the elephants and they don't want the new animal (usually antelope) getting spooked, running and accidently falling into the pit.

Thanks for the clarification, WDsMouse. I presume that was what the burlap held up by wooden stakes was for in the meercat enclosure back in June.

-Rob

Phonedave

What fences? Are you talking about the gates that also close where the cattle grates are? They close all the gates at night to ensure animals don't cross zones while not being supervised.

Animals are not left in the Savannah overnight.

They are all brought back to their enclosures.

Well, things flamingos aren't brought back, but you get the idea.

-dave

trendicoff

They're actually sensors. When you drive over them they trigger the animal AAs.
To my knowledge there are no AAs on Kilimanjaro unless you count the geysers at the end, and second all recordings/interactions are triggered by "pucks" buried just below the ground level.

As others have said, it's apparently a natural instinct for hoofed stock to refrain from walking across areas which appear to them will make their feet become stuck. Just one of the many "natural" barriers used at DAK

Oh and as for animal carcasses, sometime's it's unavoidable. I was driving a safari a few years ago when a spotted a cheetah munching on an ibis. I just quickly directed the attention to an oryx on the other side :lol:

Phonedave

To my knowledge there are no AAs on Kilimanjaro unless you count the geysers at the end, and second all recordings/interactions are triggered by "pucks" buried just below the ground level.

As others have said, it's apparently a natural instinct for hoofed stock to refrain from walking across areas which appear to them will make their feet become stuck. Just one of the many "natural" barriers used at DAK

Oh and as for animal carcasses, sometime's it's unavoidable. I was driving a safari a few years ago when a spotted a cheetah munching on an ibis. I just quickly directed the attention to an oryx on the other side :lol:

I think you missed the sarcasam tag :)

Honestly, If there was somthing like a cheetah eating an ibis, I would WANT to see that. But why would they put predator & prey species in the same enclosure?

-dave

Mrs. Jobson

Those springs you were referring to are actually electric wire. They are used along w/cattle guards, moats, and natural barriers to keep certain animals in certain areas.

Native Florida animals have been known to get into the safari area where animals are. I have seen many instances of the circle of life in my days. It happens.:veryconfu

trendicoff

@PhoneDave

Lol, sorry Dave, my bad. It's true I love seeing the real nature that occurs there whether it's Disney friendly or not, but policy is policy :)

@MrsJobson

You made my face red. You're 100% right, I remember now them teaching us about the electrified wires. I confused them with the grates that they rest upon which are the cattle guards. I doff my hat to thee :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom