Spouse not on resale contract, negatives?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
So I just bought my resale contract and it's now been recorded with yhe county. We decided to not have my wife cosign the contract as we didnt want to complicate it with getting signatures out and if we wanted to sell it. What are the negatives of not having her on there, and any suggestions to mitigate them?

correcaminos

So I just bought my resale contract and it's now been recorded with yhe county. We decided to not have my wife cosign the contract as we didnt want to complicate it with getting signatures out and if we wanted to sell it. What are the negatives of not having her on there, and any suggestions to mitigate them?

For resale? Honestly not a whole lot. Any perks would require you to be there to get them. With resale there are not a lot of them. She cannot make any changes on her own though to any bookings or anything related to the contract. If she wants to book a room she'll have to do it online under your account.

This post was off the top of my head, kind of on my way out the door. So I hope anyone will chime in if they think of something I didn't. I'll think more and come back to add if I think of anything.

Lensman

For resale? Honestly not a whole lot. Any perks would require you to be there to get them. With resale there are not a lot of them. She cannot make any changes on her own though to any bookings or anything related to the contract. If she wants to book a room she'll have to do it online under your account.

This post was off the top of my head, kind of on my way out the door. So I hope anyone will chime in if they think of something I didn't. I'll think more and come back to add if I think of anything.
I was thinking the same thing about perks - that the negatives won't apply to a resale contract since you don't get most of the perks anyway.

Regarding booking, though, couldn't the OP just add her as an associate. I think associates have full booking privileges plus banking. How sure are you that associate members can't make changes to bookings? I thought they could?

nickys

Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing about perks - that the negatives won't apply to a resale contract since you don't get most of the perks anyway.

Regarding booking, though, couldn't the OP just add her as an associate. I think associates have full booking privileges plus banking. How sure are you that associate members can't make changes to bookings? I thought they could?

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/member-types/member-vs-associate/

According to this an associate can make reservations and bank vacation points. It doesn’t specify anything about modifications to bookings one way or the other.

correcaminos

That is true, they can add as an associate and that is pretty painless to do. They should be able to modify bookings as far as I am aware.

FCivish3

That is true, they can add as an associate and that is pretty painless to do. They should be able to modify bookings as far as I am aware.
Associates have 'almost' all the same privileges as Member/Owners. I have added up to 4 of them. You apparently could add more than that, if you wanted. Then they could handle all the bookings.

correcaminos

Associates have 'almost' all the same privileges as Member/Owners. I have added up to 4 of them. You apparently could add more than that, if you wanted. Then they could handle all the bookings.
I would say booking privileges but not much else outside of that. No card so no real benefits.

MickeyCB

Late to the comments on this, but what about larger/long term considerations? For example what if something happens if the owner would become incapacitated or even in the event of the death of the owner?
Another potential is in a divorce situation. I was in Bay Lake in the lobby one time and a woman was arguing with the person at check in, apparently her ex-husband had done something with their membership/points, and she was having a difficult time with her reservation. (I have no idea what the details of that were), lots of yelling going on!

We chose to have all of us on as owners, myself, husband and of age daughter, and when my son turned 18 as part of his birthday gift we added him as an owner. When I talked to DVC when we first bought they said in the event of a problem/death of one of us it could be easier legally to have all on as owners.
I will say I have absolutely no idea of the legalities of transfer of property or potential taxes involved in a time share at someones death. If someone on here knows, please comment, I would be very interested to learn more.

Phonedave

Late to the comments on this, but what about larger/long term considerations? For example what if something happens if the owner would become incapacitated or even in the event of the death of the owner?
Another potential is in a divorce situation. I was in Bay Lake in the lobby one time and a woman was arguing with the person at check in, apparently her ex-husband had done something with their membership/points, and she was having a difficult time with her reservation. (I have no idea what the details of that were), lots of yelling going on!

We chose to have all of us on as owners, myself, husband and of age daughter, and when my son turned 18 as part of his birthday gift we added him as an owner. When I talked to DVC when we first bought they said in the event of a problem/death of one of us it could be easier legally to have all on as owners.
I will say I have absolutely no idea of the legalities of transfer of property or potential taxes involved in a time share at someones death. If someone on here knows, please comment, I would be very interested to learn more.

I am not a lawyer, but I do know something about it.

If you have multiple people on a deed then they are called joint tenants. When one of them dies, the other(s) remain as property owners.

If you don't have multiple owners, but you have a will that specifies who gets the property, then your named executor has the power of probate and can have the ownership reassigned.

If you do not have a will (or executor) then a probate judge will appoint an executor who then has to follow the law of the State you are in to disburse your property.

Depending on the inheritance taxes in the State you live in, there may or may bot be benefits to having somebody else on the deed.

One thing to consider is that while your estate, including your DVC account is going through probate, it may be difficult or impossible for somebody else to bank points if they have not been named as at least an associate member.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom