Spot holding on park rides - during and post COVID

thomas998

Wow--now we're going after kids. I can guarantee you that if you ever "stomped" on one of my kids for returning to the line to rejoin the family, you'd be facing an assault charge.
My point is that in a park where everyone ignores the rules people will walk all over everyone trying to get to the ride, much like they do when you have a general admission concert and fan crawl all over each other to get to the stage.

NickMaio

And line jumping burdens God knows how many people. Stopping jerks from jumping line doesn't just help me but everyone that your rude behavior is impacting. You want a park where people ignore the rules then your family better have on pads because that world you seem to want will result in kids being stomped on.
Seriously - the thread is about "spot holding" not line jumping.
We are talking about families needing to leave and come back. That family was already in front of you, leaving and returning does not impact your wait time. Unless you are right at the end of the line you could never know that someone is a line jumper? Especially given that most rides have hours long wait times.
Blocking someones kids or teenagers because -you- think they are line jumpers is quite rude and immature.

No one gave you authority to turn into a brick wall and make a scene in front of hundreds of children and families while they wait to get on their favourite rides.

This world needs more kindness and understanding now more than ever. You seem to think of this as a weakness rather than a strength.
Wake up man - - we need more compassion not more misplaced judgement and anger.

NickMaio

My point is that in a park where everyone ignores the rules people will walk all over everyone trying to get to the ride, much like they do when you have a general admission concert and fan crawl all over each other to get to the stage.
Having been to WDW more then 100 times I can count on one hand the number of times I have been asked to more over because someone was trying to get back to their party.
Perhaps, I am lucky then.

This systemic abuse you are talking about - it just not happening as widespread as you think.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This world needs more kindness and understanding now more than ever.
I'm kind and understanding. In fact, I'm kind of understanding that allowing exceptions for spot holding leads to abuses of line jumping.

I personally can handle a parent and small child trying to move back up into the line where they left to go use the potty. Stuff happens. I get that.

What I don't like is when other people try to use the excuse that they left the line to use the restroom when they were never in the line to start with.

Or, as has happened, a family member "holds a spot" for the rest of the party while they enjoy a leisurely meal at a restaurant, another ride, some unhurried shopping time, or a show.

That's the "spot holding" I'm kind of understanding as abuse.

Roy G. Dis

This thread deserves a...

1592932182665.png

thomas998

Seriously - the thread is about "spot holding" not line jumping.
We are talking about families needing to leave and come back. That family was already in front of you, leaving and returning does not impact your wait time. Unless you are right at the end of the line you could never know that someone is a line jumper? Especially given that most rides have hours long wait times.
Blocking someones kids or teenagers because -you- think they are line jumpers is quite rude and immature.

No one gave you authority to turn into a brick wall and make a scene in front of hundreds of children and families while they wait to get on their favourite rides.

This world needs more kindness and understanding now more than ever. You seem to think of this as a weakness rather than a strength.
Wake up man - - we need more compassion not more misplaced judgement and anger.
You leave the line, then you are out of the line. If you try to return then you are line jumping. It is pretty simple for anyone with half a brain. I know rude people love to try and make excuses for their behavior but it just isn't going to work. You are either in a line or not... Do you not understand that? Once you leave whether to to the bathroom, get a drink or sit in the shade you have left the line. If you do not return to the end of the line then you are line jumping. Most people are intelligent enough to understand that.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You leave the line, then you are out of the line. If you try to return then you are line jumping. It is pretty simply for anyone with half a brain. I know rude people love to try and make excuses for their behavior but it just isn't going to work. You are either in a line or not... Do you not understand that? Once you leave whether to to the bathroom, get a drink or sit in the shade you have left the line. If you do not return to the end of the line then you are line jumping. Most people are intelligent enough to understand that.
Should your third sentence not read " pretty simple".
Just the observation of a half a brainer 👍

NickMaio

You leave the line, then you are out of the line. If you try to return then you are line jumping. It is pretty simply for anyone with half a brain. I know rude people love to try and make excuses for their behavior but it just isn't going to work. You are either in a line or not... Do you not understand that? Once you leave whether to to the bathroom, get a drink or sit in the shade you have left the line. If you do not return to the end of the line then you are line jumping. Most people are intelligent enough to understand that.
Thank you for proving my point to everyone here.
Good day sir.....I'm done with this post and your awesome attitude.
Have fun blocking people and possibly getting a fist in your entitled face.

thomas998

Thank you for proving my point to everyone here.
Good day sir.....I'm done with this post and your awesome attitude.
Have fun blocking people and possibly getting a fist in your entitled face.
The only entitled person here is you, who thinks it fine to leave a line and come back later jumping ahead of everyone that was waiting patiently.

Kane88

Yea. No WAY is a cast member going to do anything about that. LOL
They had this line holding scheme down to a T. It was a trickle of two or three members at at time and it went on for minutes. Like I can understand if the little one had to pee and you didn’t want an accident. But to use two family members as a sort of sacrificial fastpass in the standby line ticked me off.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They had this line holding scheme down to a T. It was a trickle of two or three members at at time and it went on for minutes. Like I can understand if the little one had to pee and you didn’t want an accident. But to use two family members as a sort of sacrificial fastpass in the standby line ticked me off.
Yeup. Honestly, I believe the people waiting in line should be the ones stopping it. If it escalates, then a CM has to call security and it'll actually get dealt with.

NelleBelle

This is totally disgusting and drives me crazy when we've seen it! It's completely different then when you see the someone working there way back out of the line; it's pretty easy to recognize them when they're coming back through to meet their family and know they're actually legit. That's why when I've had to leave the line to fix my insulin pump/address my low blood sugar or when one of my kid's needs to leave to use the bathroom, we try to always excuse ourselves periodically on our way back out of line so that we're recognized as we're coming back through.

Pepper's Ghost

This thread has been very entertaining. It's one of the few where I saw it start to blow up at the beginning, and couldn't stop. I actually read every post until this one, and Wow! 🤣🤪

I have to say... in a world that unfortunately is constantly striving for polarization, only black or white, the world of gray has disappeared. This thread is a perfect example. There is a ton of gray being ignored. I see two sides that are either too strict, or too entitled. I'm really a play by the rules kind of guy. With that said, I also feel kindness and understanding is in short supply these days. Let me give two scenarios which I'd argue opposite sides and side with different parties from above.

@NelleBelle provided the perfect scenario of a medical issue. Maybe not even an emergency, but a medical issue that needs to be addressed. If she did just as she said, excusing herself from the line and walked past me, I'd imagine I'd see her making her way back in roughly 15 or 20 mins approximately. If that happens, no sweat and I'd even joke with her as she passed. "HEY! No cutting, Red!" 🤪 The key is, it's one person (or one with a child or someone in need), she was kind, and she returned after a brief time. Totally cool. I'd defend a person in that instance if they ran into a vigilante who refused to let her rejoin her family.

On the other hand if anyone comes up through the line who I KNOW did not pass me on the way out, and I've been standing in line for at least 30 mins, I'm gonna ask them how their lunch was as they pass by, and see what the reaction is. Their reaction will be very telling if they're lying. Would I start something physical, not likely. It depends on how kind they were as they asked to pass. If they shove me aside, there's gonna be a problem. If you're rude, you can expect it in return. If somebody is alone and apologetic, it won't be an issue because their excuse is more believable. Some individuals above are stating how they're gonna force their way back through the line whether I like it or not. THAT WON'T FLY! Be kind and apologetic, and I probably won't even question it. Be a jerk, we're gonna have problems. If you were in line, and you leave it, it's wise to be polite and apologetic upon your return... period. You'll encounter fewer people who will confront you.

The thing that is NEVER acceptable is a group trying to pass through the line to "rejoin their group". I don't care if it's adults, teens, or an adult with 5 kids. That's a problem if I didn't see you make your way out of line in the last 30 mins, and you would notice an adult leaving the line with a group of kids because they all had to go. In any case, when it's a group that's a surefire sign of one person getting in line while the rest eat lunch, or go on a ride with a shorter line. That's not acceptable. If I see you leave the line and you return shortly after, no sweat. If you're gone a long time, or if I never saw you leave the line and I've been waiting longer than 30 mins, you're gonna be questioned.

One last point, those who insist on forcing their way back no matter what anyone thinks... you are a lot of what's wrong with the world today. That's not showing the kindness and understanding that you claim others aren't showing. People these days don't care about the other person's situation or their effect on others anymore. This country is in a very sad state because of it.

MickeyLuv'r

I 99% agree with you Pepper's Ghost, but there have been a few times when I've gone with family and we've gotten split up when tryin to queue. Think like the morning rush for FoP, which fills in very quickly. If you have a bigger group, it can be hard to keep everyone 100% together. There's always a bit of confusion as to how best to re-group.

I can say too, a similar thing happens when there's a larger family group and someone has to go park the stroller. It only takes a second to park the stroller, so most the family gets in line. Usually nobody comes, but in some cases like FoP, that could = a LOT of people. In that case, I think it is only fair to let the stroller parker or slower walker rejoin their group.

I've also seen the same thing happen with some of the more open queues, like the HM. And some of the oddball special events, where there isn't a clear queue. I'm picturing one event we attended at Universal, where the queue was only roughly designated with metal bike racks. It was wider than a normal queue, so nobody was sure if they were supposed to be in line or if the area was just meant to be a holding pen.

I would especially hope, all of us who are WDW veterans, would make an effort to be thoughtful when we encounter folks who appear to have never been to WDW before. Like the family that, at 9:05am, has no idea they were supposed to park the stroller before entering the queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom