SPOILERS: WandaVision Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I suspected that those were Chekhov's runes, especially when the "previously on recap" brought it back up.

So many Easter Eggs were just Easter Eggs and not foreshadowing/clues. There were hundreds of vloggers spinning elaborate theories based on Eggs and not clues. Especially in trying to make plotlines from the comic books fit the TV series. They should have learned from the MCU's Infinity Saga, that the MCU will only take vague outlines from the comic books and reboot it into a new story with new plots and beats.

Even after being told it was "Agatha All Along," people gave up on Agnes being the Big Bad because they learned that Wanda created the Hex. And they surmised that Agatha was only a tool for some off-camera Real Big Bad. But, it was Agatha all along (being the big bad in the end).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Reactions after about an hour or two of processing my thoughts:

The Good:
  • Love Wanda's Scarlet Witch hair and headpiece. General outfit is a thumbs up.
  • The Ship of Theseus discussion - I'm so nerdy I loved that random fast philosophy discussion (Thought experiment: Disneyland as a Ship of Theseus - is it still the same?)
  • Best part of episode for me was the mid-credits scene - because the best part of this series for me was Monica, Jimmy and Darcy (who barely got a moment here in the last episode - boo!) - I was edge of my seat for that one scene

The Rest:
  • Okay, so White Vision is still around. I'm not invested in him and it undermines the value of the original death. Think even James Gunn recently weighed in on the lack of true consequences in comic book stories if characters don't stay dead and death doesn't matter. I teared up during the goodbye scene because #paulbettany but I wasn't sobbing-devastated because it wasn't the real good-bye, which they'd had in Infinity War and this... stole away that impact.
  • Wanda just lets her kids and Vision disappear with the end of the spell without protest. You might argue that it shows her progress in dealing with her grief, and her remorse about what she did to the townspeople, but it didn't feel totally earned. And then the kids are screaming from the Darkhold in the tag scene? Felt... messy. (Also, I'm blanking: where was "thank you for choosing me to be your mother" taken from? I know I've heard that before. There's Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Child", but I think somewhere else in genre TV and film, too?)
  • What was even the point of Evan Peters in this if they were just going to Mandarin/Mysterio him? This is the third time of "nope, never mind, not really a powerful super villain after all" and second time it turns out to be an actor. I love Evan Peters madly as a performer but he can do so much better than just getting a paycheck for showing up. He should *matter*.
  • Agnes is mind-fracked but she's still around in case they ever want to go back to her. But there was so much back and forth with her as 'she's bad' 'she's messing with you' 'or maybe she's helping you' 'no, she's bad' 'is she messing with you?' 'don't throw me in there - psych' (I'd make a Song of the South Brer Rabbit reference here but I don't want to offend anyone) - that by the end of it I really didn't care what happened to her besides that they (correctly) use the 'hex on the wall' since she doesn't seem important after all, just villain-of-the-week.
  • We still don't know who Jimmy's missing witness was.
  • Dottie was no one after all.
  • My literal vocal reaction at the end of the end credits tag and the end of the series was: hmm.
  • I guess the takeaway for Doctor Strange 2 will be White Vision is alive and Wanda is fully Scarlet Witch, has the Darkhold and is trying to get her kids out of some other dimension because something bad is clearly happening to them. That could have been accomplished in two or three hours. Feels like half of this show was done just because they had a cute idea for a way to make a Marvel sitcom.
  • I expect Falcon & Winter Soldier to excite me more. And hoping Loki will be best yet!
I take issue with your Mysterio take...Mysterio has always been a guy who uses tricks and deceptions to make himself seem powerful but in reality is just a guy. That is why people like him , he is just a guy but is an effective villian for Spidey with his illusions. They actually did Mysterio correct in the movie. Mandarian they messed up but Mysterio I have no issues with in how they did him because that is who the character has always been. Otherwise, great summary of the episode my man.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Rotten Tomatoes tracks about 20 critics' scores which are so far per episode:

1. 75
2. 80
3. 74
4. 82
5. 86
6. 77
7. 78
8. 82
9. 77

Overall 'Freshness' (thumbs up v. thumbs down): 92%

Over at IMDB, they keep track of the user scores. There are 9-13 thousand reviewers per episode, and their scores are:

1. 75
2. 78
3. 82
4. 89
5. 92
6. 90
7. 86
8. 91
9. 87

Overall viewers score: 83

These scores beat the average Pixar or MCU movies.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I suspected that those were Chekhov's runes, especially when the "previously on recap" brought it back up.
Same. I posted above referring to them as using the "hex on the wall" when I meant to type "runes on the wall" as a Chekhov hat tip reference for you. :)

But them paying some things off and not others seemed haphazard to me rather than totally planned. Still, what's done is done and now we have Falcon & Winter Soldier coming up quick!

DonaldDoleWhip

As a story about Wanda (particularly dealing with her grief), I really enjoyed it. Also loved Kathryn Hahn as Agatha and how the decades were brought to life. Still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed by some of the red herrings and misdirects, including:
  • "Dottie is the key to everything in this town." Nope.
    • This was further amplified by her being left off the ID board, and the callout that Kevin Feige had to specifically approve her casting
  • "The devil's in the details, Bev." "That's not the only place he is."
  • Evan Peters
  • Ralph
  • The suspicious mailman
  • Señor Scratchy
During the first few weeks of viewing, it felt like nearly every line and visual cue carried weight, and that the revelations would be beyond compare. Maybe some of the fan theories were a bit too complex, but there were just too many clues (including some hefty ones) that fizzled out into nothing.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

As a story about Wanda (particularly dealing with her grief), I really enjoyed it. Also loved Kathryn Hahn as Agatha and how the decades were brought to life. Still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed by some of the red herrings and misdirects, including:
    • This was further amplified by her being left off the ID board, and the callout that Kevin Feige had to specifically approve her casting
  • Evan Peters
  • Ralph
  • The suspicious mailman
  • Señor Scratchy
During the first few weeks of viewing, it felt like nearly every line and visual cue carried weight, and that the revelations would be beyond compare. Maybe some of the fan theories were a bit too complex, but there were just too many clues (including some hefty ones) that fizzled out into nothing.
Not a bad show but a very medicore one that purposly dragged the audience around so they would stay tuned weekly with clues and mysteries but in the end had no real payoff or long term consequences. Just like that crap show Lost. Show would have worked better as a binge all at once show and people wouldn't feel soo let down if they saw it all at once instead of building up anticipation over weeks for a really weak finale. Not a bad show but very mediocre and one I don't ever plan to watch again.

waltography

• Evan Peters
  • Ralph
  • The suspicious mailman
  • Señor Scratchy
Re: Dottie, Emma Caulfield did an interview revealing she was cast specifically to draw attention away from Agnes: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...ulfield-interview-dottie-who-is-sarah-proctor

It's interesting to note that her character's real name is Sarah Proctor, one of many women accused to be witches at the Salem Witch Trials. Found that to be a fun detail. It's a shame they overdid it though - I was really rooting for her to be Arcanna Jones since all the details seemingly led there.

Ralph Bohner... it's such a bad name that I hope he's the witness Jimmy's trying to keep his tabs on. It's unlikely, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LSLS

I was disappointed by the ending. The first few episodes of sitcom pastiche were absolutely brilliant, and the sitcom stuff in later episodes was excellent as well, but it pivoted into a small, mostly by the book MCU film for the last couple of episodes. There were too many ultimately superfluous characters, for one -- Darcy and Dottie were two of the biggest, but there were others. More importantly, though, it was a bit too predictable. There was nothing remotely surprising about what happened in the final episode. I would have preferred to see Agatha not actually evil, or White Vision have Ultron inside, or any number of other things to shake things up (although something like Ultron almost certainly wasn't going to happen in a Disney+ show).

It certainly wasn't bad, and I enjoyed the show overall, but I think in the end it didn't quite live up to the highs of the first few episodes.

Also, the "They'll never know what you sacrificed for them" line was so absurdly out of touch with what happened I actually laughed. She held a whole town hostage, controlled their minds, and kept their children locked away. She made them sacrifice for her.

So I'm probably going to get killed here, but I'm going to say it. I hated Darcy. I just saw no point to her at all, and I think your statement helped me realize why. Superfluous is the perfect word.

Last edited:

FutureCEO

Coming from a non-Marvel perspective (meaning I never read comics), I thought the show was great but I'm not one to nitpick shows like most people while watching them. I agree though Agatha was amazing and more could have been done with her. I also don't get the hints in the previous episodes so I had no expectations of what could be coming.

erasure fan1

Show would have worked better as a binge all at once show and people wouldn't feel soo let down if they saw it all at once instead of building up anticipation over weeks for a really weak finale.
I agree. The shows format really built the tension and anticipation up each week. With that, you needed a solid holy poop ending. But for as much as I really enjoyed each episode and their build up. The ending was a small letdown in my opinion. I wouldn't say the ending was bad, it had some really good moments. But the overall impact of the end, just wasn't there. Sure we got that Monica/photon will be in captain marvel 2 and the final post credit scene is leading to Dr strange. But if those scenes never happened, it still doesn't matter. I did think Feige would have gone bigger picture with the show, because of all the hints and easter eggs thrown around.

Hopefully this isn’t an indication for falcon and winter soldier. Hopefully they just used Wandavision as a test to see how people reacted to the show. And now since the viewership was strong, as far as I can tell, they can become bolder in the different shows impact on the MCU.
Not a bad show but very mediocre and one I don't ever plan to watch again.
Even with the ending being a small letdown, I still really enjoyed the show overall. I will probably re-watch it after spider-man no way home and multiverse of madness. I'm hoping there is more there that will be an oh yea, that happened in Wandavision, moments. Maybe after seeing what happens in the 2 movies focusing on the multiverse, it will bring new context to some of the scenes in Wandavision.

Princess Leia

The one disappointment I had with the finale was that Evan Peters wasn’t playing Peter Maximoff. I had some other things to nitpick, but I guess I over analyzed earlier episodes (however, the breach that happened at the end of episode 5.... what was that??????)

I really enjoyed the show. I thought it was a great look into grief, and I loved the sitcom episodes.

Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn and Teyonah Parris did great work with their characters, and I look forward to seeing them again in the MCU. Randall Park also was great in the supporting role. I think, however, I am the only person in the world who isn’t a Kat Dennings fan lol. She’s fine, and I’m glad she has a following, but she’s not for me.

Jedijax719

One or two misdirects are fine as long as the other items all have good payouts. Spielberg once said that writers have to be VERY careful not to fake out audiences too much or you lose trust.

I'm guessing that Jimmy's witness was just a way to get across that the loved ones of those involved also lost their memories.

But yeah, WAY too many misdirects with no explanation. While the story was fine, the balance was off because of that.

The best part of the finale was the last credit scene. BUT unfortunately, because of all the crying wolf, I don't trust them any more. Sad, but it's the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". As for fooling me three or four times, I won't even get invested. Call me when movies come out.

Wendy Pleakley

I thought it was a fine finale and a good series. It served its purpose of establishing the Scarlet Witch character, something they couldn't do before due to Fox controlling the rights to use the name. The finale offered a big showdown with the kind of scale we'd expect from a TV show. It did what many Marvel movies do, tell a good story that stands on its' own while tying into the larger universe and setting up other shows and movies.

I didn't really care about the extensive theorizing and speculation, so I wasn't going in with all of the expectation some people had. How much of that was people expecting too much versus the show dropping too many so-called red herring hints? All I can say is that as a casual viewer, I wasn't building up any expectations in my mind and I was happy with what was delivered.

I'm fine with Evan Peters just being an easter egg, and not a link to some big multiverse storyline.

Marvel continues to do a good job appealing to the casual viewer while also serving long time comic fans. I had no idea who Agatha was in the comic world, until I looked her up. It didn't matter. In the show, the twist that the nosy neighbour is a villain worked for me on its' own. The tie-in to comic lore just made the storyline more engaging for long time readers as well, I'm sure.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Dottie misdirect was put to bed in the same episode she was introduced with her waking up and accusing Wanda of being the cause of whatever hell they were going thru, even tho Agnes implied (i.e. lied) that Dottie was in control. That was the clue that Agnes was the liar.

Then Dottie mostly disappeared from further episodes. But The Theorists kept trying to keep alive that misdirect which was already put to bed in the show. That's not the fault of the show.

Surferboy567

Guess since this was apparently the “series finale” I should give my quick thoughts on the episode.

I’d like to preface this by saying that this show has been excellent (at least in my opinion). I’ve enjoyed it week over week and it has become of my favorite shows. Wanda and Vision have been fleshed out extremely well, and I really enjoyed Agatha as a character.

With that being said, I think the finale was underwhelming, but I didn’t totally hate it.

First off, even if you thought the Quicksliver thing was actually the Fox version (in the beginning I thought he was but given the reviews for this episode I figured he probably wasn’t) this was definitely disappointing. They also played it off as a joke which is fine but it kind seemed like a slap in the face to the fans especially when you take his last name into account. I didn’t mind the reveal in Iron Man 3 but this was different because out of all the actors they choose Evan Peters. I feel like they wasted him on a joke, when he could of actually been a player in the MCU.

Second off, WHERE WAS DR. STRANGE? No, seriously it is his job to protect reality. Wanda is a huge threat to reality and according to Agatha she is more powerful then the Sorcerer Supreme. How did no one call him about the huge reality warping bubble located RIGHT NEXT TO NEW YORK.

I also have a problem with a lot of the plot threads they left hanging, and yes it’s the MCU but with a show basically dedicated to a mystery have basically no payoff is really underwhelming and reminded me of LOST.

With all those negatives out of the way, their was definitely some good in this episode.

- Wanda becoming the Scarlet Witch was awesome, really like her comic costume with the headpiece.

- White Vision has a really unique look and stood out and popped against the backdrops. I wasn‘t a fan of him just flying away though.

- The two post credits scenes were awesome, it would of been better if Dr. Strange showed up though.

- Kathryn Hahn is awesome really happy they didn’t kill her off, really liked her character.

- The Ship of Theseus confrontation between the two vision(s) was awesome it really demonstrated how well the writers nailed their understanding of Vision being an intelligent avenger.

Overall, I really liked Wandavision and the journey was better then the destination which takes down my overall enjoyment but the show was fun and kept me guessing and theorizing for 9 weeks. It also has made Wanda & Vision two of the best fleshed out characters in the MCU. Excited to repeat the cycle for Falcon and Winter Soldier.

We technically have one more episode of Wandavision left as well, the making of documentary. Really like these documentaries especially on the Mando side of things. This show has a lot going on and am interested to see how they put it together.

LSLS

The one disappointment I had with the finale was that Evan Peters wasn’t playing Peter Maximoff. I had some other things to nitpick, but I guess I over analyzed earlier episodes (however, the breach that happened at the end of episode 5.... what was that??????)

I really enjoyed the show. I thought it was a great look into grief, and I loved the sitcom episodes.

Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn and Teyonah Parris did great work with their characters, and I look forward to seeing them again in the MCU. Randall Park also was great in the supporting role. I think, however, I am the only person in the world who isn’t a Kat Dennings fan lol. She’s fine, and I’m glad she has a following, but she’s not for me.
I'm with you on that, I'm not a huge fan either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom