SPOILERS: WandaVision Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

MarvelCharacterNerd

I don't know how much this show, no matter how good it is, will really push the MCU forward as a whole. You have a show on a paid subscription site and then you have publicly released (presumably) theatrical movies. They have to be careful how much they use a streaming show to lead into a public movie. Too much necessary tie-in and you'd lose a lot of audience or at least understanding of what is going on. There may be some name dropping or concept dropping (like multiverse) but nothing in Wandavision can be needed to understand any of the future films.

I just want them to clarify the things going on in the show itself.

Since they've said the shows will lead into other movies, I think they would therefore move the overall MCU story forward at least as much as seeming side trips like the Ant-Man movies do - which is to say, perhaps less importantly than the 'bigger' standalone films like the Cap or Iron Man or Thor films, but still containing some important plot points to be aware of before watching the event team-up films.

If we wind up at the end of WandaVision right back where we started without consequences for DS2 and later films, then I'm not sure what the point of the story would be?

UNCgolf

I'm pretty sure Feige implied (and may have outright said) that watching the D+ shows would be necessary to fully understand what's happening in the MCU.

Monica Rambeau is definitely going to appear again and this is her origin story, so that's one long term effect already.

Jedijax719

Well Teyonah Parris had already been confirmed for Captain Marvel 2 so it was already a given that she was going to be Monica Rambeau. That alone leads into Captain Marvel 2 if nothing else than a good origin story. The entire show's plot doesn't have to lead into movies. It just takes a quick mention of something in passing or a side story (like Monica's backstory AND some tension when Carol's name was mentioned) for it to lead to another movie.

However, that does not mean that the villain of Dr. Strange 2 or Spiderman NWH or Captain Marvel 2 has to be mentioned let alone featured.

HOWEVER, we've now seen
TWO hints at one particular villain: Chthon. Chaos magic and the Darkhold book BOTH find their origins with Chthon.
So the idea of magic could be what vaguely connects with future movies. I'd say that magic and the multiverse are to the new MCU phase what the infinity stones and quantum realm were to the previous phases.

Animaniac93-98

So the idea of magic could be what vaguely connects with future movies. I'd say that magic and the multiverse are to the new MCU phase what the infinity stones and quantum realm were to the previous phases.

Well I can't wait to see how Hocus Pocus 2 ties into the MCU.

Half expected Winifred to show up in the 1693 Salem, MA flashback.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since they've said the shows will lead into other movies, I think they would therefore move the overall MCU story forward at least as much as seeming side trips like the Ant-Man movies do - which is to say, perhaps less importantly than the 'bigger' standalone films like the Cap or Iron Man or Thor films, but still containing some important plot points to be aware of before watching the event team-up films.
Indeed.

Ant-Man's movie led to solving the Snap by providing part of the solution of time travel.

For WandaVision, all the players are on the board for an exciting finale without some extra-dimensional god to show up or for a more famous Avenger to cameo. At some point, Wanda, the twins, Vision, and Monica will confront Agatha, White Vision, and maybe Fietro. And there may be side-switching along the way. Not to mention: Darcy!

In the end, the resolution could turn out all fine and dandy for Wanda and Vision and the twins... at the expense of opening a crack in the multiverse, which would lead to Doctor Strange 2.

Or... Mephisto!

Ripken10

I'm pretty sure Feige implied (and may have outright said) that watching the D+ shows would be necessary to fully understand what's happening in the MCU.

Monica Rambeau is definitely going to appear again and this is her origin story, so that's one long term effect already.
Feige said in a recent interview that watching the shows would NOT be necessary to understand the movies. He said that those that watch Doctor Strange coming from End Game can't be confused by events, that it has to work for those that saw the show and those that didn't. He also said that watching the shows will give a deeper understanding.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Feige said in a recent interview that watching the shows would NOT be necessary to understand the movies. He said that those that watch Doctor Strange coming from End Game can't be confused by events, that it has to work for those that saw the show and those that didn't. He also said that watching the shows will give a deeper understanding.
Right.

But that doesn't make what happened in the side projects inconsequential. There's always the ol' exposition devices that explained what happened 'off camera' to catch up audiences.

They even do this with direct sequels or "part two's" to remind the audience.

Heck, some complicated plots have recaps within the same movie...

New person enters the movie: What the heck is all this?
Main character: Here's the expositional recap in case we lost anyone in the audience!

Ripken10

Right.

But that doesn't make what happened in the side projects inconsequential. There's always the ol' exposition devices that explained what happened 'off camera' to catch up audiences.

Main character: Here's the expositional recap in case we lost anyone in the audience!
Yes I agree. But it is never a major plot point (one could argue this point but this is what Feige has implied)

I think we agree. Ant man and the wasp being a great point. Missing that movie doesn’t make you miss an important detail in end game as Scott does explain the most important details (you could watch end game and never need to know the movie existed), but the movie gives depth to it.

On a related noted - I think this is a critical point on whether the vision in the hex can survive. If he survived it would be a major plot point that viewers who haven’t seen this would be lost on (and just explaining it away it a bit of a stretch imo as this would be a major plot change). But I do think it’s possible that his survival is left in question heading into madness and resolved there...just highly unlikely. Probably why Bethany is not currently listed as being in madness. Although they have hidden bigger reveals than that

Jedijax719

Right.

Exactly. The automatic gut response that people will feel is "oh the big baddie will be introduced" because of what happened at the end of Avengers. That was a precedent for a lot of people, but would be redundant here. One small side plot point could be what leads to other movies. That's what I am expecting. We already have the introduction of SWORD and the origin for Spectrum/Photon/Pulsar/Captain Marvel2. Plus they COULD take F-ietro and turn that into a multiverse thing if they wanted to by having had him roaming around this universe without anyone knowing. Then there's the introduction to the dark magic. So they could already essentially have led into 3 or 4 movies right off the bat without going any further. Very nicely played on Feige's part!

That said, I hope for something other than one big battle in the last episode. Battle for sure, but something deeper as well. And I'm sure we'll get it. If there's one thing to say about the MCU (unlike, um, the Star Wars universe ehem), it's that Feige does run a tight ship in terms of plots and storylines, making sure there aren't really any loose ends to tie up. End Game, for example, nailed it on all fronts and you really didn't need to have a follow up on any plot point in that movie (except for Loki disappearing with the tesarect which we already knew would tie into its own show).

Jedijax719

Vison probably handed over the government, but half of them were dust, the other half were just going crazy so, you know, SWORD happened.

Meanwhile, Luis would be the most epic cameo ever. Exposition with a flare!!!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

How did SWORD get Visions body?
The same way Darci knew about the events of Wakanda even though no one was there to see it but the Avengers themselves....plot convenience.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Oh, and Wanda was already a witch and the Mind Stone enhanced her powers.

I hadn't really thought about it before that the two strongest female characters in the MCU (Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel) are both strong because Infinity Stones enhanced them. And another was eaten by one (Gamora). And now Monica is enhanced by Wanda's power, so more built off the Infinity Stones. And Jane Foster was changed by the Aether/Reality Stone (is that how her story will lead to Love & Thunder - hmm).

I mean, I guess it's fair to say that Vision and Pietro were also enhanced by the Mind Stone. But it seems an awful lot of female power comes from the Stones enhancement vs. natural/inherited ability (Thor, Star-Lord) or human ingenuity (Cap from the Super-Soldier Serum, Tony Stark creating the Iron Man armor, Hank Pym creating Pym Particles, Hulk from Banner's gamma radiation studies, even Spider-Man's encounter with an experimental spider). Not sure where I'd categorize Doctor Strange, however, as he uses the Time Stone, but doesn't seem to have gotten his abilities from it.

Yes, these are the random things I ponder on a Friday night. :)
no one was ever eaten by the soul stone. they were thrown off a cliff and died as a sacrifice.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Silly thought. What if the area they were spending time in WAS in Westview. I can't remember if they ever identified in Infinity wars where they were spending time. And doesn't Vision say he has to catch a train to leave? That really makes one think...
It wasn't. It was in Europe.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

When it comes to Fietro, Agatha says that he was Wanda's doing, but Agatha used a "crystalline? crystalloon?" illusion so that he'd be her eyes and ears (which explains how he knew it was all fake). [The Italian subtitles is just "an illusion spell."]

But that doesn't explain why Wanda would create a Fox's X-Man Pietro.

More mysteries.
Incorrect. It clearly indicates Agatha is behind him to get info from Wanda. Not that Wanda created him and she took over him. She indicates she was going to use the real Pietro's body but it was far away and full of bullet holes. so she made one up that is not as good but Wanda desperately wanted to believe it was him so she accepted he looked different. That was all Agatha

Jedijax719

The finale is supposedly going to be 50 minutes INCLUDING credits. So it will probably be around 45 minutes-only slightly longer than the others at best.

There's a LOT to cover in 45 minutes. I suspect there will be quite a bit left on the cutting room floor, aka, was used as misdirects.
*Ralph is probably going to just have been a name Agnes used to make her seem like she had a family, despite nobody every having seen him.
*Monica's engineer friend MIGHT be shown in a credit scene but may not even factor in at all. Probably something that changed at the last minute but they forgot to edit it out of conversation.
*Bee-keeper was nothing most likely
*Jimmy's missing witness was probably just a way to let the audience know that NOBODY has any recollection of Westview due to Wanda/Agnes' spell.
*Cameo? Again, probably credit scene at most.
*Pietro was already explained probably as much as he is going to be.

Did I forget anything?

Bairstow

The same way Darci knew about the events of Wakanda even though no one was there to see it but the Avengers themselves....plot convenience.
I think it can be assumed that the general public was made aware of what happened with Thanos et. all sometime after the snap. Maybe Captain America and the rest of the Avengers held a press conference with the UN or something.

It would be really annoying to have to write for this universe if one of your conceits is that not only no one but the main characters noticed that half of the world died and came back a couple years ago, but no one's even curious about why that is.

I mean, you already have the general Marvel Universe public now fully aware of the existence of gods, aliens, and magic, so why not?

Jedijax719

I think it can be assumed that the general public was made aware of what happened with Thanos et. all sometime after the snap. Maybe Captain America and the rest of the Avengers held a press conference with the UN or something.

It would be really annoying to have to write for this universe if one of your conceits is that not only no one but the main characters noticed that half of the world died and came back a couple years ago, but no one's even curious about why that is.

I mean, you already have the general Marvel Universe public now fully aware of the existence of gods, aliens, and magic, so why not?
What must've been even worse is having half the world come back suddenly and not having the resources to support them. One would think that the amount of resources would be cut to half just from production alone. The strain on society would be immense.

Bairstow

What must've been even worse is having half the world come back suddenly and not having the resources to support them. One would think that the amount of resources would be cut to half just from production alone. The strain on society would be immense.
Yeah, best not to think about it.
Just do a joke about how the kids who were a few years behind Spiderman are now in his grade and move on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom