SPOILERS: The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion

Robbiem

So she was a good exec producer by providing resources and then getting out of the way. Again, why does this mean she should get credit for how different this show is creatively different?
Well there are two types of people in these situations the creatives (like Walt) and the enablers (like Roy). You need both for the creative process to work and the people behind the scenes who set the tone can be just as important as the creative talent.

KK strikes me as more of an enabler backing the creative people to achieve their visions. Dave Filoni has been very complimentary in how she has helped him transition to live action and supported him in his development arranging for him to visit the last jedi set etc.

When that’s what you do not everyone you back will be a winner so if you take the flack for the sequel mess you should get the credit when something you enable is good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure if you are defending him? He also maintained COVID was cooked up in a Chinese lab, but I digress.

I have a lot of tolerance for pseudo insiders until they reveal themselves to strictly be attention seeking (inset synonym for rude of your choice) conspiracy theorists. Then you know you are just reading a tabloid.

I’m like 10% defending him. He has hit some things - from the looks of it.

He’s also a backwards A$$ nut...but we got a lot more of those that we thought on this mental playground.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So she was a good exec producer by providing resources and then getting out of the way. Again, why does this mean she should get credit for how different this show is creatively different?

This is like giving iger credit for mystic manner because he wrote the checks and gave the green light.

Right...

A LFL produced documentary is now “raw journalism”...apparently 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well there are two types of people in these situations the creatives (like Walt) and the enablers (like Roy). You need both for the creative process to work and the people behind the scenes who set the tone can be just as important as the creative talent.

KK strikes me as more of an enabler backing the creative people to achieve their visions. Dave Filoni has been very complimentary in how she has helped him transition to live action and supported him in his development arranging for him to visit the last jedi set etc.

When that’s what you do not everyone you back will be a winner so if you take the flack for the sequel mess you should get the credit when something you enable is good.

I would completely accept that KK was filling the proper role...

...If the record had backed it up. Multiple director firings is the firs bit of “fire” behind the smoke. The defense/enabling of Johnson - who BS aside flopped HARD at at Star Wars - is the second.

But it’s not ONE thing...as much as Disney defenders want to ignore it - there’s a case that’s been built. Right now - it looks like she will step down at the end of the year and someone else will be brought it. That’s the absolute right call for the board and shareholders. Who are we kidding? There has already been too much failure with this propriety to continue the course. Results based industry.

And the results have just not been good enough. They built billion dollar park add ons that we’re tainted before they opened. How the hell is that even conceivable for Star Wars? It’s just so far off the path of “predictable” that it makes no sense. Consequences.

Here’s where Pengy posts the farce awakens box office chart...which turns out to be a REALLY bad movie as “launching point”

Many more misses than hits. It’s like the DCU. A lot like it now.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Ok, but i think the common assumption here is that we are talking about the creative. The criticism of disney and KK for the movies has been about creative and their initiatives they pushed - not the business execution.

If you want to praise KK for pulling off a hit show on some budget and schedule compared to other efforts... go ahead, you won’t hear a peep from me. But really we all know that hasn’t been the point of contention when talking about the sequels and the difference in the mandalorian.

erasure fan1

When that’s what you do, not everyone you back will be a winner so if you take the flack for the sequel mess you should get the credit when something you enable is good.
I would agree, except when the Mandalorian is your only feather in the cap, you aren't going to get a lot of pats on the back. Couple that with how the Mandalorian is such a departure from the direction/philosophy of everything else. Of course most of the fans are going to assume she really played no part in it.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Disney Hiding GIF by DAM

flynnibus

Premium Member

sedati

Inconclusive.
By several accounts, when Favreau pitched to Kennedy she paired him with Filloni who he'd worked with previously and she'd been grooming for live action. She'd been meeting with potential directors for years and saw Mandalorian as an opportunity to bring in more diversity. My assumption has been that the directors Favreau picked were from a pool she'd already met with. My assumptions may of course be wrong.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Inconclusive.
By several accounts, when Favreau pitched to Kennedy she paired him with Filloni who he'd worked with previously and she'd been grooming for live action. She'd been meeting with potential directors for years and saw Mandalorian as an opportunity to bring in more diversity. My assumption has been that the directors Favreau picked were from a pool she'd already met with. My assumptions may of course be wrong.

Either way... the directors haven’t been what made the mandalorian as a show stand out verse the previous disney product. Nor have they been the story/writing team.. So its kinda a pointless topic. They haven’t been the ones producing the series or leading the writing. Thats been dave and jon. They all were working within a box setup before them. It’s great input... but when we are talking about why the series has been so successful verse the sequels... its not the director carousel.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Either way... the directors haven’t been what made the mandalorian as a show stand out verse the previous disney product. Nor have they been the story/writing team.. So its kinda a pointless topic. They haven’t been the ones producing the series or leading the writing. Thats been dave and jon. They all were working within a box setup before them. It’s great input... but when we are talking about why the series has been so successful verse the sequels... its not the director carousel.

Every impression...even from the docu-ads...is that filoni is driving the story and character arcs...favreau is playing the role of “studio head”...and the director’s are being brought in simply to test their handling of Star Wars material for future larger projects...that’s what it SEEMS.

They are more treating it like a proving ground...which is the mistake in the approach on the films. They assumed way too much...it’s a different animal.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think F&F at least had an idea of where they wanted to take Mando. We start here and we get to there. I'm sure over the course of development, writing, shooting etc., things evolved and changes were made.

IMO the Sequel Trilogy had no such vision. I don't know why, but I envision the initial pitch meetings going something like:

Kennedy: "We're going to make a bunch of Star Wars movies"
Iger: "What kind of Star Wars movies?"
Kennedy: "Don't know. But they're a bunch of Star Wars movies. And they'll make a bunch of money"
Iger: "I like money."

I find it hard to swallow that when they were doing the initial casting - somebody looked at Daisy Ridley and said "Yep. That's Palpatine's grandbaby - she gets the part."

5thGenTexan

I think F&F at least had an idea of where they wanted to take Mando. We start here and we get to there. I'm sure over the course of development, writing, shooting etc., things evolved and changes were made.

IMO the Sequel Trilogy had no such vision. I don't know why, but I envision the initial pitch meetings going something like:

Kennedy: "We're going to make a bunch of Star Wars movies"
Iger: "What kind of Star Wars movies?"
Kennedy: "Don't know. But they're a bunch of Star Wars movies. And they'll make a bunch of money"
Iger: "I like money."

I find it hard to swallow that when they were doing the initial casting - somebody looked at Daisy Ridley and said "Yep. That's Palpatine's grandbaby - she gets the part."
1610905430092.png

Jedijax719

Money can/will be made whether there is or isn't a finite vision. However, MORE money can be made with a vision (Marvel says hello). Now, we have to SW what Feige has been to Marvel-visionaries. Both Favreau and Filloni NEED to be SW showrunners from here out. Their passion and at least current skill in story telling has seemed to work and have pleased people.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

THIS! It has been so long so I don't have a link, but I remember reading that JJ came in and mapped out the first film, and it was not until they completed the first film did they even start to figure out the plot for the next two. They had no plan.

Jedijax719

THIS! It has been so long so I don't have a link, but I remember reading that JJ came in and mapped out the first film, and it was not until they completed the first film did they even start to figure out the plot for the next two. They had no plan.
It was as if they wanted to emulate what Lucas did with his trilogy-create the first one without any ideas for the others and let it flow "organically". The problem is that they already knew they were doing a trilogy. It was an experiment without the best results. Having a plan or at least an outline with a finish in mind is truly the way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom