SPOILERS: Star Wars' ANDOR

MickeyMouse10

They're practically giving away D+ subscriptions. So I was able to catch up on the episodes.

It's been like "Rings of Power" on Prime, it's alright and definitely watchable. But it's mostly made up of too many characters and too many boring conversations. They should trim the fat, there's way too much filler. Syril Karn and his mom are uninteresting and annoying and Mon Mothma and her family are just uninteresting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Most people (not many) I have spoken to about the show say it is slow. Yet I find every episode extremely gripping and loving it.

It is slow, but in this case that is not a bad thing, I am loving it more with every episode. This week's episode was for me one of the most emotional pieces of Star Wars storytelling that have seen in a long time. Andy Serkis is just phenomenal in this.

erasure fan1

It is slow, but in this case that is not a bad thing, I am loving it more with every episode. This week's episode was for me one of the most emotional pieces of Star Wars storytelling that have seen in a long time. Andy Serkis is just phenomenal in this.
Yes, he was the highlight of the last 2 episodes. I really hope he made makes it into season 2.
It's not slow. There's something happening at all times. Words are actions and this show's got the best words... and pictures... and acting... damn.
While I agree that the show is extremely well put together. It is slow. That isn't necessarily bad, but for a star wars project it is slow. A bit more action to offset the slow dialogue sections would have gone a long way. When you go multiple episodes in a row with no real action, people are going to say it's slow. Us bigger fans don't mind, but I can see a lot of casual people tune out and maybe come back when it's done so they can just binge it. It would have been better in my opinion to release this as a 4 part mini series. It seems like that is how it was shot anyway.

My only real concern at this point is the endgame of this season. We now have just 2 episodes left and they need to establish a finale. The longest episode was 45min and most have been 30 to 35min. Hopefully they take the time and we get two longer episodes to close it out. I don't want the typical D+ ending where they rush through everything. Especially when we actually got 12 episodes. They've had the time so there's no excuse to not nail the ending.

doctornick

My only real concern at this point is the endgame of this season. We now have just 2 episodes left and they need to establish a finale. The longest episode was 45min and most have been 30 to 35min. Hopefully they take the time and we get two longer episodes to close it out. I don't want the typical D+ ending where they rush through everything. Especially when we actually got 12 episodes. They've had the time so there's no excuse to not nail the ending.

I tend to agree, but since they have a second season already planned, they'll likely have some sort of cliffhanger and perhaps not resolve all the multiple loose ends that are going on.

Screamface

For me, Andor is the best series on D+ and I am looking forward to seeing how the season ends! It is refreshing not seeing Sith, Jedi, and lightsabers in the series!

Definitely the best D+ series.

I also wonder where the series will wrap up. I don't see how there is time for any of the rebel alliance stuff to form.

I actually hope they change course a bit, because wasn't the plan for s2 to bridge the gap right up to Rogue One? With massive time jumps between arcs. I feel like there's many more than 1 more seasons worth of story to tell.

erasure fan1

I tend to agree, but since they have a second season already planned, they'll likely have some sort of cliffhanger and perhaps not resolve all the multiple loose ends that are going on.
I don't mind an overarching thread to end on that brings you into the next season. I just want them to get the individual season right. The funny part is they have the people who perfected the technique on staff. Marvel was the king of making a film that stands on it's own. While at the same time had threads that carried into the overarching story. All while not taking away from the singular story. Unfortunately they still haven't really figured out how the TV side of things should go.

Phroobar

The most anticlimactic story arc ever. Let's cause a water leak in the prison and walk out. Not sure why the Imperial weapon locker was so close to the prisoner work area. That seemed way too easy. Where was the TIE support from the other prisons? You would think the other prisons would have alerted ISP and sent out a boat to gather up the swimming prisoners. So much waiting for something with no action. All along, the dude and his mom are still eating coco puffs.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The most anticlimactic story arc ever. Let's cause a water leak in the prison and walk out. Not sure why the Imperial weapon locker was so close to the prisoner work area. That seemed way too easy. Where was the TIE support from the other prisons? You would think the other prisons would have alerted ISP and sent out a boat to gather up the swimming prisoners. So much waiting for something with no action. All along, the dude and his mom are still eating coco puffs.
I think the point is that the Empire has become complacent. In this case they put all their eggs in one basket by trusting in their electrified floors thinking that would be enough to keep the prisoners under control. Andor even says that they aren't even listening to them when they are in their bunks.

Most of Star Wars is action adventure, but this series is a totally different genre.

Wendy Pleakley

I think the point is that the Empire has become complacent. In this case they put all their eggs in one basket by trusting in their electrified floors thinking that would be enough to keep the prisoners under control. Andor even says that they aren't even listening to them when they are in their bunks.

Most of Star Wars is action adventure, but this series is a totally different genre.

It also shows that people have power when they work together towards a common goal.

Whether it's an oppressive government or a bad employer, enacting change can come from power in numbers.

BrianLo

Really agree. I feel like this is what some people seem to be struggling with. It's by no means slow, it just successfully switches the genre (in a way it seemed like Lucas actually wanted Episode 1-3 to do, but couldn't make happen).

It is also very adult. Which I like immensely. But I also see how a lot of 8-12yo's wouldn't much care for this series versus Mando.

Screamface

Yep. Cassian explained this when he talked about how they'd never think someone could just walk in and steal from them.

I think it's entirely inline with Star Wars. They built the friggin' death star. It's all about the show of power and people keeping themselves in line out of fear. Yet people can stand up.

erasure fan1

I feel like this is what some people seem to be struggling with. It's by no means slow, it just successfully switches the genre
I personally think star wars is at its best when it is action adventure. I don't mind when they hit a slower and more serious tone. But it needs better balance in my opinion. I just don't think you need to switch the genre like that. You wouldn't make another Shawshank redemption and turn it into a Michael Bay prison break movie. That wouldn't make any sense. The infinity saga did a great job of adding in different genres while keeping the base formula that everyone expected. This show does a lot right and is a critical success. I just think with a bit of adjusting in the pacing department, you would get more eyes on the show. From everything I see, viewership is not that great. And that's a shame because there is a lot of good to take in.

mf1972

I personally think star wars is at its best when it is action adventure. I don't mind when they hit a slower and more serious tone. But it needs better balance in my opinion. I just don't think you need to switch the genre like that. You wouldn't make another Shawshank redemption and turn it into a Michael Bay prison break movie. That wouldn't make any sense. The infinity saga did a great job of adding in different genres while keeping the base formula that everyone expected. This show does a lot right and is a critical success. I just think with a bit of adjusting in the pacing department, you would get more eyes on the show. From everything I see, viewership is not that great. And that's a shame because there is a lot of good to take in.
i’ll admit i wasn’t liking the show in the beginning, but it’s gotten better. to me, it’s a different kind of star wars. has more of a behind the scenes/early rebellion feel to it. more drama than action. it’s a interesting change of pace.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Just caught up on the last two episodes - still so good. It really is my adult storytelling show and everything else I'm watching is more for my inner kid.

I was caught between being really affected by THE BIG LINE in last week's episode which was SO IMPORTANT they had to REPEAT IT to make sure you caught that THIS WAS THE POINT OF THE SERIES. *

I did love the line ("I'd rather die trying to take them down than die giving them what they want."), however, it's about four years too soon! If this season covers one year and next season covers four more (still really not happy about this shortened storytelling when it's been so good), did we really need him to make his MISSION STATEMENT now rather than at the end of the show? Just seemed too soon for it.

But Willimon loves his BIG SPEECHES and he's done some really great work for this show, gotta give him that credit.

This week's episode got all the fun Stellan moments and the poor puppy robot missing his mama. I loved that the guy was respecting the droid mourning its loss but it seemed a bit indulgent, if very sweet. Is someone really going to give the vacuum cleaner that much time to grieve?

* I would bet money that the writers room had this line posted from day one of development as what they were working toward for the season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom