SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Upon second viewing…

I think the last episode was one of the best pieces of Star Wars ever made. It doesn’t all have to be Oscar material…it hits a lot of clever emotional notes. There’s was a lot of Lucas/filoni kinda influence in there…

…or even better: some or favreau’s merry band actually gets what the whole thing was about.
I don't believe it......

Actually saying something nice about some piece of Star Wars content that Disney put out.

And even more saying something nice about Kathleen Kennedy.

fxyD.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't believe it......

Actually saying something nice about some piece of Star Wars content that Disney put out.

And even more saying something nice about Kathleen Kennedy.

fxyD.gif
Then you’re not paying attention too closely.

Because calling something crappy isn’t a “hater”…it’s pointing out failure to deliver to the consumer who pays

And I am one. So are you.

I’ve complimented both kennedy and other Star Wars content.

But calling iger/kennedy/abrams/Johnson a disaster that cost them billions upon billions over time (and has already) is not being a hater.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then you’re not paying attention too closely.

Because calling something crappy isn’t a “hater”…it’s pointing out failure to deliver to the consumer who pays

And I am one. So are you.

I’ve complimented both kennedy and other Star Wars content.

But calling iger/kennedy/abrams/Johnson a disaster that cost them billions upon billions over time (and has already) is not being a hater.
Its a joke my friend nothing more.

Also wasn't calling you a hater, but you are very well known around here for being very critical of everything non-OT especially Kathleen and the Disney produced Star Wars content (with the exception of maybe Mando).

So I was just surprised when you actually posted that you liked something they put out. But again it was really just a joke post.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its a joke my friend nothing more.

Also wasn't calling you a hater, but you are very well known around here for being very critical of everything non-OT especially Kathleen and the Disney produced Star Wars content (with the exception of maybe Mando).

So I was just surprised when you actually posted that you liked something they put out. But again it was really just a joke post.
Point taken.

Did you see me posting about guardians? And ratatouille?

It’s a myth I don’t compliment what’s good. I always have. I haven’t spent literally years in WDW/DL/DLP cause it all sucks 🤪

Nor did I hate Star Wars…quite the oppo

I’ve complimented Mando, R1 and obi…I like non OT stuff too. Even if it’s flawed.

It’s more the excuses/self convincing that goes on that rubs my saddle the wrong way.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'm surprised no one in the midst of the above back and forth is talking about the one commonality in the writing credits of the final two (best received) episodes of the show: Andrew Stanton.

Understanding that writing credits can be meaningless and there are always a lot of chefs in the kitchen, I still find it interesting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm surprised no one in the midst of the above back and forth is talking about the one commonality in the writing credits of the final two (best received) episodes of the show: Andrew Stanton.

Understanding that writing credits can be meaningless and there are always a lot of chefs in the kitchen, I still find it interesting.
I’m glad you brought that up.

I didn’t notice the first time but saw that on the second.

Then I saw lightyear the next day (underrated a lot in my book) and saw he and the Doctor there in the credits again

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think these shows are showing exactly why Disney tried to go New people with the sequels and SW:GE. They paint themselves in a corner trying to work around the OT lore and characters and it becomes a tinier and tinier island to work on.

You can only abuse 'I got a bad feeling about this...' so many times.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Had “Solo: A Star Wars Story” not disappointed at the box office in 2018, then “Obi-Wan Kenobi” might’ve been a full-fledged movie trilogy instead of a six-episode Disney+ limited series. Screenwriter Stuart Beattie has “story by” and/or writing credits on multiple “Obi-Wan” episodes, but he recently told The Direct that he had no involvement with the Disney+ series. Beattie’s credit carried over from his work drafting the first movie in an intended “Obi-Wan” trilogy.

“I wrote the film that they based the show on,” Beattie said. “I spent like a year, year-and-a-half working on it. And then, when the decision was made not to make any more spin-off films after ‘Solo’ came out, I left the project and went on to other things. Joby [Harold] came on and took my scripts and turned it from two hours into six. So, I did not work with them at all, I just got credit for the episodes because it was all my stuff.”

Beattie said his original “Obi-Wan” pitch to Lucasfilm was, “three stories because there’s three different evolutions that the character has to make in order to go from Obi-Wan to Ben [in ‘A New Hope’]. The first one was the first movie, which was the show, which was, ‘Surrender to the will of the Force. Transport your will, surrender your will. Leave the kid alone.'”

“The second [movie] was thinking about where Kenobi ends up,” Beattie continued. “And one of the most powerful and probably the most powerful moment in all of Obi-Wan’s story is that moment where he sacrifices himself in ‘A New Hope.’ Great moment, you know, makes you cry. But, if you stop and think about it, it’s a pretty sudden thing, to just kind of go be fighting a guy, to see Luke and go, ‘I’m gonna die.’ You know, that to me, that required forethought. That required pre-acceptance that this was going to happen.”

Beattie’s second “Obi-Wan” film would follow the character coming to terms with his own mortality, thus giving more clarity to his “A New Hope” sacrifice. The film would “get him to that point where Obi Wan has accepted the idea that he’s going to die, and that he’s going to die willingly at a crucial moment.” A second “Obi-Wan” movie never moved into development as Beattie was still working away on the first film when the studio pulled the plug.

“It was ‘Solo’ that changed the direction of the system,” Beattie said. “I like ‘Solo,’ personally, but it hadn’t made a lot of money… it certainly crushed us. Devastated, absolutely devastated. But, that’s the business, you know, highs and lows. I’m glad it got made. I’m glad the show got made. I’m proud of my story that [got] told. I’m glad my characters are all through it. And I’m glad I got credit for it. I wish, I wish they’d been able to make my movies.”

Beattie confirmed the original movie plan was for “a full trilogy,” adding that Ewan McGregor was on board with the plan. The screenwriter said that if he gets the chance to “have anything to do with the second season of ‘Obi-Wan,” then he’ll re-pitch his idea for the mortality-themed second movie. “Obi-Wan” was billed as a limited series, but McGregor is already game for more."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup. That sums it up.

Reva only has two volumes, loud and soft. Either way it is bad acting.
It wasn’t a particularly good character or performance

They continue to do this thing where they shove a particular character in front and center and “insist” you focus on it…instead of writing good characters and letting the fans decide.

The grand inquisitor was a much better performance…but you’re not supposed to care.

Robbiem

A second series focusing on Obi Wan facing mortality would be interesting. I think that the vader / kenobi battle has probably run its course but there’s room for more vader in Andor / Ashoka and possibly more series set between eps 3&4.
For series 2 bring back Maul and do a deep dive into the criminal underworld of star wars maybe his ‘family’ clashing with the hutts. Lots if opportunities for bringing back bounty hunters like Cad Bane and maybe find out what asage ventriss is up to

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think these shows are showing exactly why Disney tried to go New people with the sequels and SW:GE. They paint themselves in a corner trying to work around the OT lore and characters and it becomes a tinier and tinier island to work on.

You can only abuse 'I got a bad feeling about this...' so many times.
You write good characters..:the fandom grows organically

That’s what happened with all the originals and bit characters.

You can’t worry about the “type” of character because it looks obvious. And that’s why all the DT characters are throwaways.

Boba fett and admiral Akbar were bit characters…they are loved 40 years later because of the way they came off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A second series focusing on Obi Wan facing mortality would be interesting. I think that the vader / kenobi battle has probably run its course but there’s room for more vader in Andor / Ashoka and possibly more series set between eps 3&4.
For series 2 bring back Maul and do a deep dive into the criminal underworld of star wars maybe his ‘family’ clashing with the hutts. Lots if opportunities for bringing back bounty hunters like Cad Bane and maybe find out what asage ventriss is up to
I think Ashoka is taking place after Vader…the Mando timeline?

Robbiem

It wasn’t a particularly good character or performance

They continue to do this thing where they shove a particular character in front and center and “insist” you focus on it…instead of writing good characters and letting the fans decide.

The grand inquisitor was a much better performance…but you’re not supposed to care.
I agree I just couldn’t take to Reva. To me it was a badly written part badly acted. I wasn’t keen on the fake Jedi either. I would rather Indira Varma’s character lived as I thought it was much more interesting and better acted

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree I just couldn’t take to Reva. To me it was a badly written part badly acted. I wasn’t keen on the fake Jedi either. I would rather Indira Varma’s character lived as I thought it was much more interesting and better acted
Agree totally.

The comic relief Silicon Valley dude - who I love in the proper context - was that forced humor nonsense I have always questioned.

Jedijax719

It would be epic if they could re-edit the series as two 2-hour movies. They have enough material and it flows well enough to do so. I think watching the series as 2 movies would be an incredible experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They need to get rogue squadron straight…that needs to kick the way every fan has always needed it too…

This KK/Jenkins squabbling needs to end.

Let Kosinski do it…

Get it done. The biggest thing they have going for the future of Star Wars.

Get

It

Done

!!

spacemt354

Chili's
It would be epic if they could re-edit the series as two 2-hour movies. They have enough material and it flows well enough to do so. I think watching the series as 2 movies would be an incredible experience.
Made a post a few pages back about this -- very easily could be a 2 hour + film.
Act One (45 mins)
  • Inquisitors (Reva and Fifth brother) interrogating the town for Obi-Wan on Tatooine, Owen protects him begrudgingly.
  • Obi-Wan watching over Luke from afar, having nightmares, tries to call for Qui-Gon.
  • Bail Organa's message to Obi-Wan that Leia has been captured
  • Inquisitors had hired bounty hunters to capture Leia and lure out Obi-Wan based on Reva's info, he leaves Tatooine.
  • Obi-Wan arrives on Daiyu, encounters homeless clone trooper, meets Haja Estree (the fake Jedi), and finds Leia in her cell (our first scene with Leia)
  • Haja tells Obi-Wan of a band of refugees, Reva intercepts them and is able to capture Leia as Obi-Wan is injured.
  • Reva tells Obi-Wan that Anakin is alive, and Obi-Wan/Vader connect in the force.
Act Two (45 mins)
  • Obi-Wan is taken to a bacta tank, contrast with Vader in the bacta tank
  • With the help of Haja, Obi-Wan has been transported to the refugee base, meets Tala.
  • Reva brings Leia to Fortress Inquisitorius and attempts to interrogate Leia for the location of the refugees. She struggles to 'torture' her, flashing back to herself as a child. Reva leaves, contacts Vader saying Obi-Wan will be coming.
  • Obi-Wan and Tala attempt to enter the Fortress and save Leia
  • They escape the fortress on the snow speeders
  • Vader arrives after they escape, and reprimands Reva for losing Obi-Wan, but she said she planted a tracker to the refugee base.
  • Vader's ship is hovering above the refugee planet as he has Coruscant lightsaber training flashback
  • Reva and troopers descend to the planet, Obi-Wan discovers she is a youngling from Order 66, offers to help her defeat Vader
  • Battle ensues, Tala sacrifices herself.
  • Remaining refugees escape as Vader takes down the wrong ship, narrowly missing Obi-Wan.
  • Reva vs Vader, Vader 'kills' Reva and the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels is revealed to take her place.
Act Three (45 mins)
  • Vader's ship catches up to the refugees. Against the GI's advice, Vader lets the refugee ship go and goes after his old master
  • Obi-Wan once again calls out for Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan says he must confront Vader to save them. Says goodbye to Leia.
  • Vader arrives, their fight ensues. More personal, no jumpcuts back to Tatooine.
  • Obi-Wan is able to neutralize Vader. Vader tells him that he is not Obi-Wan's failure.
  • Vader is summoned by Palpatine, leaves Obi-Wan with his damaged suit, obeying his new master's wishes.
  • Obi-Wan is then stopped by Reva who rather than fighting Obi-Wan, chooses to rid herself of being an Inquisitor.
  • Vader on Mustafar with Palpatine, telling him he's feelings for his old master are clouding his vision.
  • Obi-Wan arrives on Alderaan, tells Leia to keep their connection a secret.
  • Returns to Tatooine, looks over Luke, and Qui-Gon appears to him

Also the John Williams saga music was used more in the trailers than the actual show...this rescore brings so much more weight to the fight.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Made a post a few pages back about this -- very easily could be a 2 hour + film.

Also the John Williams saga music was used more in the trailers than the actual show...this rescore brings so much more weight to the fight.

They used Giacchino…who really should do all Star Wars now.

The R1 score is still the best Disney has produced by a lot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom