SPOILERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series

Jedijax719

I mean, it's just a difference of opinion.

I'm happy you like it as do others - as I said previously I wish I did too.
My only gripe would be that I wish there were at least two more episodes OR the last one was twice as long. There's so much they can do after this episode set up SO much. Episode 4 was a bit of a let down in terms of moving things along.

We have:
1. The GI is back.
2. Reva is alone and wants to get to the twins (well at least Luke) in order to get to Anakin
3. Luke is now vulnerable
4. Leia still has to make it to Alderaan in a ship that has no hyperdrive and is being chased (reminds me of TLJ)
5. Qui-Gon hopeful appearance

That's a LOT to cover in 40-50 minutes even IF that's all they covered.

spacemt354

Chili's
My only gripe would be that I wish there were at least two more episodes OR the last one was twice as long. There's so much they can do after this episode set up SO much. Episode 4 was a bit of a let down in terms of moving things along.

We have:
1. The GI is back.
2. Reva is alone and wants to get to the twins (well at least Luke) in order to get to Anakin
3. Luke is now vulnerable
4. Leia still has to make it to Alderaan in a ship that has no hyperdrive and is being chased (reminds me of TLJ)
5. Qui-Gon hopeful appearance

That's a LOT to cover in 40-50 minutes even IF that's all they covered.
The pacing issues, in my opinion, have been going on for a while.

Episode 1 - I enjoyed it. It gave us a good intro to Obi-Wan, Reva, and Leia and his reason to leave Tatooine on a ship.
Episode 2 - Started to lose me. It ended on a cliffhanger of the Grand Inquisitor 'dying' and Reva watching Obi-Wan leave on a ship.
Episode 3 - Confused me. It ended with Vader apparently being unable to put out the fire he just put out a minute ago and watching Obi-Wan be rescued and eventually leave on a ship.
Episode 4 - Bored me. It ended with Reva again watching Obi-Wan leave on a ship.
Episode 5 - Frustrated me. It had what I thought the show would focus on, but ended with Vader bringing down a decoy ship and watching Obi-Wan leave on the other ship.

I realize for serialized TV there needs to be a transition to the following week, but it just feels like, to me, the story has been going in circles and now they have to wrap up all these loose ends like you mentioned in 1 episode.

I think a lot of my issues with the show, included the TV-budget feel of it, would have been resolved if it was a film as was previously rumored to be.

Jacob Marley

I don’t understand the few naysayers in here.
My guess is it's for attention. Looking back on this thread alone, if you are having fun with this series and want to have a serious discussion about the plot, the conversation usually dwindles. You may get a few likes but the conversation quickly loses momentum.
Yet when people gripe and trash talk the series, they get attention like honey attracts bees. In a way, we're all guilty in training them that if they doom & gloom the topic, they receive the attention they crave. It's not just this thread but many topics. Drama and complaints usually reels the fish in.

Indy_UK

My only gripe was how come someone like Qui-Got be totally dead in TPM from taking a lightsaber through them yet Reva is still alive? Same with the Inquisitor?

Probably my favourite so far of the TV series (and I love Mandalorian) but I dont see how this story would have related well to a movie? I have seen some sites say a Season 2 of Obi-Wan has been greenlit which I am not sure about?

Like I said previously, these series are really filling in the gaps well and has given me a lot of enthusiasm for Andor and that it will show the whole rise of the rebellion.

LSLS

My guess is it's for attention. Looking back on this thread alone, if you are having fun with this series and want to have a serious discussion about the plot, the conversation usually dwindles. You may get a few likes but the conversation quickly loses momentum.
Yet when people gripe and trash talk the series, they get attention like honey attracts bees. In a way, we're all guilty in training them that if they doom & gloom the topic, they receive the attention they crave. It's not just this thread but many topics. Drama and complaints usually reels the fish in.
That's completely unfair. Just because you enjoy something doesnt mean im a troll for not. Ive been extremely respectful of everyone else liking it and have stated in my comments its just not appealing to me personally every time. If you really want me to go into everything I'm disliking I can, but i can tell you it revolves a lot around the cgi and the fact im hating most of the story of Reva. You don't and that's fine. I've also fully admitted I'm no die hard star wars fan, so maybe that factors in as well. I honestly have wanted to like this show, it's just falling flat for me. But it's ridiculous to say if I'm not enjoying something you are, I'm just looking for attention. Heck, if all I'm looking for is replies, I'm pretty bad at it cause I've said next to nothing provocative through 4 weeks to get anyone to come start a yelling match with me.

spacemt354

Chili's
My comments have been clear that those who enjoy it - I'm happy for. Star Wars is special to me and I wish I was in that group.

To say those opinions constitute trash talk or looking for attention is very disrespectful. For the record I'd love to have a discussion about the plot as that is one of my main gripes with the show is the writing.

Wendy Pleakley

To stress the importance of the Force, not just the Jedi Weapon. It was actually much more entertaining for me with this...

To me it contradicts an established Star Wars trope - that Jedi fight by clashing lightsabers.

That isn't necessarily realistic, but it's one of those things we accept as viewers. At no point during the Episode 3 battle for example, did Anakin or Obi-Wan just try and force shove their opponent off of the tiny platforms into the lava, which would make sense strategically.

It was just interesting to see Vader engage in a fight in a way that differs quite dramatically from what we usually see.

Not to say it wasn't cool or that Jedi shouldn't use the force to fight more often.

erasure fan1

Yea, I don't think that is really accurate. While I have liked this show for the most part. It does have plenty of issues. Disney has really shown they have a long way to go in the television department. It's not unreasonable to say that maybe people just aren't happy with the quality of what Disney has done with star wars. It's a mixed bag at best.

Phicinfan

To me it contradicts an established Star Wars trope - that Jedi fight by clashing lightsabers.

That isn't necessarily realistic, but it's one of those things we accept as viewers. At no point during the Episode 3 battle for example, did Anakin or Obi-Wan just try and force shove their opponent off of the tiny platforms into the lava, which would make sense strategically.

It was just interesting to see Vader engage in a fight in a way that differs quite dramatically from what we usually see.

Not to say it wasn't cool or that Jedi shouldn't use the force to fight more often.
I don't disagree...but lets take this in context.
First the dark side has always used power in general not just light sabers. The Jedi also at one time greatly used the force not just the light saber. They are all excellent shots(as seen in this where he rarely misses...). But to me the key thing on this episode was the fact that Obi-wan was having a bit of a crisis of faith in his powers and after last episode and this one was he more fully able to use his powers. Darth Vader is just showing as most of the dark side has done that the Force is even more of a tool.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This show is a lot of highs, and lows for me... kind of like Bobba Fett had such misses. But ObiWan is better in general.

Star Wars used to be a lot more consistency.. but all these shows are really straining them I guess. The interactions between Vadar and ObiWan really strain what we know from the trilogy.

1) It's only like 8 years between 'now' and EPIV... yet ben ages like 30 years and pretends like the clone wars was like 30+ years prior
2) It was cool when we went from the slow fights of EPIV to 'jedi in their prime' fighting in EPI-3 and we see high action... but that is largely with different characters who are expected to age alot. Here Vader is now Superman.. and somehow becomes slow menacing man by EPIV??
3) Wear armor.. blaster shots are instant fatal.. wear cloth... blaster shots are flesh wounds. Why are storm troopers even wearing their gear??
4) Lightsabers through the chest don't kill you.. or you either.. wth
5) Apparently storm troopers are crazy good compared to droids... as single jedi would hold off armies of droids.. yet jedi fall to a handful of clones.... multiple times. And 'old' Ben now struggles to fight off even a squad of storm troopers.
6) Vader is going ALL OUT to get kenobi... but his star destroyer lets a simple unarmed people transport get away? Even after the huge drama of blockades and trying to escape star destroyers is basically a staple in Star Wars?
7) The biggest secret in the galaxy about anakin's kids.. and Ben just hands the communicator over to a guy he's met twice?
8) Vader enters when a ship is already off the ground and on it's way.. and he can stop it in time... yet the other ship starts from the ground and Vader can't even make an attempt?

Disney did so much better with Clone Wars and Rebels and Bad Batch of adding to their stories without seeming to conflicting with all the canon.

LSLS

This show is a lot of highs, and lows for me... kind of like Bobba Fett had such misses. But ObiWan is better in general.

Star Wars used to be a lot more consistency.. but all these shows are really straining them I guess. The interactions between Vadar and ObiWan really strain what we know from the trilogy.

1) It's only like 8 years between 'now' and EPIV... yet ben ages like 30 years and pretends like the clone wars was like 30+ years prior
2) It was cool when we went from the slow fights of EPIV to 'jedi in their prime' fighting in EPI-3 and we see high action... but that is largely with different characters who are expected to age alot. Here Vader is now Superman.. and somehow becomes slow menacing man by EPIV??
3) Wear armor.. blaster shots are instant fatal.. wear cloth... blaster shots are flesh wounds. Why are storm troopers even wearing their gear??
4) Lightsabers through the chest don't kill you.. or you either.. wth
5) Apparently storm troopers are crazy good compared to droids... as single jedi would hold off armies of droids.. yet jedi fall to a handful of clones.... multiple times. And 'old' Ben now struggles to fight off even a squad of storm troopers.
6) Vader is going ALL OUT to get kenobi... but his star destroyer lets a simple unarmed people transport get away? Even after the huge drama of blockades and trying to escape star destroyers is basically a staple in Star Wars?
7) The biggest secret in the galaxy about anakin's kids.. and Ben just hands the communicator over to a guy he's met twice?
8) Vader enters when a ship is already off the ground and on it's way.. and he can stop it in time... yet the other ship starts from the ground and Vader can't even make an attempt?

Disney did so much better with Clone Wars and Rebels and Bad Batch of adding to their stories without seeming to conflicting with all the canon.

Stop looking for attention.

doctornick

I’ll admit that I’m surprised to see (some) people being negative about the show. I thinks it’s been captivating. Some really good supporting characters and the episodes have flown well. It doesn’t feel like sone other D+ series that have been sluggish for multiple episodes and then rushed at the end. I mean, we’ll see how it ends but I don’t think there are an excessive number of things to wrap up at this point.

Kenobi’s development over the series has been great and nothing like what the naysayers were concerned about. You can certainly see the hero we see in Ep IV coming out.

This is so much better than Boba Fett and I’m glad to see a return to the higher quality of The Mandalorian.

spacemt354

Chili's
My only gripe was how come someone like Qui-Got be totally dead in TPM from taking a lightsaber through them yet Reva is still alive? Same with the Inquisitor?
Dark side users can keep themselves alive despite certain wounds via anger. That's why Qui-Gon could not.

Darth Maul was cut in half, Anakin was BBQed, etc. So Reva staying alive I can look the other way on. How she stayed alive as a youngling? I don't know. Maybe Grogu healed her. I just thought it was silly to fake-out the Grand Inquisitor's death when he's in Rebels.

Jacob Marley

Stop giving the drive-bys attention :)
Not sure who "drive-bys" is directed at. Considering I've been contributing to this discussion since around 5 posts in, and you just showed up at page 11...

Now back to topic. I'm not ready to write Qui-Gon out of this just yet. Grand finales can pack a punch, if Mandalorian taught us anything with the Luke cameo. Not saying this show will equal or top that, but they could be saving a cameo or two for the finish. I agree with others in that it really needs to be a two-parter since there's so much to wrap up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom