SPOILERS: Falcons & the Winter Soldier Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

NateD1226

👀👀

EDIT: Marvel just launched a site that has so many easter eggs from the show and Marvel itself. Like in Buccaneer Bay there is a place you can type in "powerbroker" and the container ID, which is "4261", and get a container named after an MCU/Marvel character. For example, some people got Shang-Chi and Mystique. I just got random numbers so I don't know what happened lmao. In Brass Monkey Saloon there are some fun posters if you click around the image. In Hightown Nightclub, if you type in "sharoncarter", you can see some posters and art that is in the show. There are lots of fun easter eggs if you want to check it out.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

That final shot is going to be stuck in my mind for a while!
Why? You knew at some point he was going to snap and show he is not worthy of the shield or cap so sam will be able to get it back and become the true heir to cap only this time he is ready for it. To get to that point they have to show Walker is unstable. Its predictable and honestly it was not that violent or shocking compared to shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

That ending shot of the bloodied shield. Whoa.

So powerful and symbolic of everything that went wrong - Sam's decision, Karli's decision, Walker's decision.

Though you pretty much knew who was going to die as soon as he said he'd perfected his signature. Might as well have said he was thinking of retiring to go fishing.

Actually, same for guy talking about his family. Writer's trope - give someone a personal moment to define them and remember them by before they're gonna die.

Still, another great episode.

THE DORAS!!!!!! 😍 😍 😍

Loved watching Sam use his (and Cap's) true power - reaching out to talk and understand people, trying to bridge the distances/differences through what they have in common rather than what's keeping them apart.

But also liked watching him use his suit's capabilities for fight not just flight - using the wing, the engine. Good stuff.

Loved watching the Dora take out Bucky just by deactivating his arm. His reaction! "Did you know they could do that?" "No."

They're totally setting us up to think Sharon is the Power Broker. Hope it's a fake out. Otherwise, if it was Sharon all along... meh. Been there done that.

Favorite moment of the episode unsurprisingly belongs to Zemo, who is a FLIRT!

Walker handcuffs him. Zemo: "Really? Aggressive. But I get it." :D

Now there would be an odd couple - the man who hates Super Soldiers and a Super Soldier. Could be good for them both to heal, but don't expect it to happen. Still my fave moment though. :D It's as if they knew Zemo would be the viral star of the show... :D

erasure fan1

Why? You knew at some point he was going to snap and show he is not worthy of the shield or cap so sam will be able to get it back and become the true heir to cap only this time he is ready for it.
Well yea, of course it was fairly obvious. But so was the snap in infinity war. We knew that it wasn't going to be permanent and most everyone would be back. But it still had an emotional impact. So when Karli did what she did, I knew what was coming next. But when it happened, it still was a holy poop moment in my eyes.

Animaniac93-98

It's impact isn't just from a storytelling standpoint. It's that Marvel and Disney corporate were willing to take it there under their own branding, knowing it would be considered intense and judged for portraying that character/image in that light.

And I'm so glad they went there and didn't back down.

waltography

It's impact isn't just from a storytelling standpoint. It's that Marvel and Disney corporate were willing to take it there under their own branding, knowing it would be considered intense and judged for portraying that character/image in that light.

And I'm so glad they went there and didn't back down.
I was also gonna say that it's wild they were okay with the imagery of Cap's bloodied shield. There's some great parallels between Steve and American exceptionalism post-WWII vs. John and America post-9/11, and the last shot sealed the deal for me.

When I meet Cap in the parks, I'll be sure to check twice he doesn't have the A-star logo on his chest before I meet him.

Animaniac93-98

I like that they didn't even show any gore or straight up violence aside from the blood in the shield but I still felt a bit squeamish.

A lot of prestige television made for HBO, Netflix etc feels gratuitous because it seems like every episode has a quota for bloody violence and s-e-x. As if the producers felt it wouldn't be taken seriously by adult audiences without it.

This show is proof that you can have mature, intense storytelling without being needlessly graphic.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Well yea, of course it was fairly obvious. But so was the snap in infinity war. We knew that it wasn't going to be permanent and most everyone would be back. But it still had an emotional impact. So when Karli did what she did, I knew what was coming next. But when it happened, it still was a holy poop moment in my eyes.
Incorrect. Most people did not think Thanos would get all the stones and kill half the universe. comic fans, yes but ordinary movie goesr? no. and the events are not comparable. we did not know Thanos would win and once he did win sure we knew some would come back but the story at that point became, what is it going to take to bring everyone back? how far would the remaining heroes go? what would they sacrifice?? and Endgame was anything predictable. This story with the new capt america getting mad with power and willing to kill and showing he is not stable by this point is a trope and predictable a mile way and has been done soooo many times before. Like in comics when Bane broke Batman's back so Bruce let someone else be Batman for the time being and then would not later want to give it up becaue he was unstable and frankly it was done better there. Your analogy does not make sense.

BrianLo

Well, I still jumped. I actually thought he was going to decapitate him. :oops:

I do agree with the strong American Exceptionalism versus American Black-Lives-Matter / War on terrorism pinnings of this series.

It's very heady and progressive for Disney Marvel fare. Iron Man glorified it via the prototypical hero a lot more.

erasure fan1

Incorrect. Most people did not think Thanos would get all the stones and kill half the universe. comic fans, yes but ordinary movie goesr? no. and the events are not comparable. we did not know Thanos would win and once he did win sure we knew some would come back but the story at that point became, what is it going to take to bring everyone back? how far would the remaining heroes go? what would they sacrifice?? and Endgame was anything predictable. This story with the new capt america getting mad with power and willing to kill and showing he is not stable by this point is a trope and predictable a mile way and has been done soooo many times before. Like in comics when Bane broke Batman's back so Bruce let someone else be Batman for the time being and then would not later want to give it up becaue he was unstable and frankly it was done better there. Your analogy does not make sense.
How does it not make sense? Your point was you asked why that moment would be stuck in someones head because it was predictable. And yes, the snap was predictable for not just Marvel fans. A lot saw it coming since it was no secret it was a 2 part movie. Sure there are plenty who didn't know, but a lot did and most still had a strong reaction because of how well it was done. That was the point. I also agree that the events aren't comparable. What I was comparing was even when you knew something was coming, it could still evoke a powerful emotion.

Speaking of tropes. In my opinion, Infinity war/Endgame used one of the biggest tropes there is. Look at all this terrible stuff that happened. How do we fix it? Time travel! Who cares, it's about how they execute. And trope or no trope, even when something might be predictable, if it's done well it still can be impactful.

khlaylav

It's also about timing and rarity.

Throughout much of the movies and TV shows, the blood and gore has been saved for the "darker" entries on Netflix. Like Daredevil and Punisher. We haven't seen a lot of that in any of the movies or on Cap. So when there's blood dripping off of the shield, it means more than if Cap had been straight decapitating people over and over again.

Another subtle thing was the zoom in on Zemo getting dropped with the shield. Even in that moment it felt more visceral than the other KOs and kills throughout the movies and shows.

I'm also going to edit this post to bring attention to this fantastic breakdown on John Walker's uniform, how it differs from the traditional Cap uniform, and how it foreshadows his turn to a villain.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

How does it not make sense? Your point was you asked why that moment would be stuck in someones head because it was predictable. And yes, the snap was predictable for not just Marvel fans. A lot saw it coming since it was no secret it was a 2 part movie. Sure there are plenty who didn't know, but a lot did and most still had a strong reaction because of how well it was done. That was the point. I also agree that the events aren't comparable. What I was comparing was even when you knew something was coming, it could still evoke a powerful emotion.

Speaking of tropes. In my opinion, Infinity war/Endgame used one of the biggest tropes there is. Look at all this terrible stuff that happened. How do we fix it? Time travel! Who cares, it's about how they execute. And trope or no trope, even when something might be predictable, if it's done well it still can be impactful.
Let's just agree to disagree. I like you and don't wana start a big thing over a tv show we won't care about in a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom