SPOILERS: Falcons & the Winter Soldier Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

doctornick

I’m glad people enjoy it but I’m pretty meh. A big reason I love the MCU is how it doesn’t take itself too seriously, gets irrelevant and silly, has lots of humor, is straight up fantasy, etc. This show is a bit too dark and serious for my liking. I watch superhero stuff for escapism not for it to try to mirror the real world. YMMV. I’m also not that keen on CA:TWS which I know a lot of people think is among the best MCU films. I don’t dislike the show or anything but it’s no where near as good at WandaVision to me (and I suspect I’ll enjoy Loki a lot more too).

That said, I did really like Zeno with more backstory (albeit some mild retconning). The return of Sharon - has sadly been underused - and Ayo and the intro to Madripoor are all some cool comic book goodness. Hope Power Broker is a good payoff...

I feel like Sharon might be Power Broker? Or at least working for that person.

Alternatively, I think maybe she’s “good” and still with the CIA and her Madripoor activity is just deep undercover

I'm looking forward to Sam getting the shield and mantle and the show being more superficial and hopeful.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I’m glad people enjoy it but I’m pretty meh. A big reason I love the MCU is how it doesn’t take itself too seriously, gets irrelevant and silly, has lots of humor, is straight up fantasy, etc. This show is a bit too dark and serious for my liking. I watch superhero stuff for escapism not for it to try to mirror the real world. YMMV. I’m also not that keen on CA:TWS which I know a lot of people think is among the best MCU films. I don’t dislike the show or anything but it’s no where near as good at WandaVision to me (and I suspect I’ll enjoy Loki a lot more too).

That said, I did really like Zeno with more backstory (albeit some mild retconning). The return of Sharon - has sadly been underused - and Ayo and the intro to Madripoor are all some cool comic book goodness. Hope Power Broker is a good payoff...

I feel like Sharon might be Power Broker? Or at least working for that person.

I also think maybe she’s “good” and her Madripoor activity is just deep undercover

Im looking forward to Sam getting the shield and mantle and being more superficial and hopeful.

I'm totally glad it exists and they made it. I agree though this show isn't as much my jam.

I think I'm also just not much of a spy thriller/psychological drama guy.

Supposedly ratings are good, but this thread is clearly indicative that it does not appeal as readily to this crowd here. As in we're half way through the series and this thread has just limped to page three.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Still spinning gears in my head about who the big ep 5 reveal could be. Presume it will be the true identity of Power Broker.

I think a lot of people are expecting it to be
Arnim Zola
. But that doesn't seem to fit the description of "it’s a very, very grounded character — partnered with one of the big world-shakers like Thor or someone like that"

But unless they go really off the rails with a ridiculously unexpected choice -
Aunt May? Pepper Potts? Luis? Yeah, I know, no. Everett Ross, maybe?
- I just have no clue. I'm just trying to figure out who would be both grounded and unexpected. So no one genius-level or super-powered.
Hoping for a payoff to The Leader from Incredible Hulk is probably too much to ask. And since super-powered, not grounded.

Hmm, going with the idea that the show would continue to spotlight Black characters, maybe
Bill Foster
?

LSLS

So, any chance Sharon is the power broker? I just got that vibe some.

Am I the only one that kept thinking Sharon was like the punisher when she was destroying all the bad guys? Not saying she is or it's a foreshadow or anything, just made me think of how he did it.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Am I the only one that kept thinking Sharon was like the punisher when she was destroying all the bad guys? Not saying she is or it's a foreshadow or anything, just made me think of how he did it.
Something is definitely up with her. And she for sure upped her fighting game. But I think it's too easy to guess that she's the Power Broker. I'm expecting someone... more unexpected. lol

Animaniac93-98

I'm totally glad it exists and they made it. I agree though this show isn't as much my jam.

Supposedly ratings are good, but this thread is clearly indicative that it does not appeal as readily to this crowd here. As in we're half way through the series and this thread has just limped to page three.

This is actually my favorite fictional/serial Disney+ show to date, but I don't care to get into the speculation, Easter eggs and so forth myself which drives most of the online discussion.

LSLS

So, two things with it. First, on your side, I know my daughter and wife were huge into wandavision, but this series just isn't appealing to either of them. However, this thread did start after episode 1, so I didn't get to even see this was up and going til much later (I don't usually come to the movies section without a notification).

erasure fan1

Yea they really set that up. It almost seems too obvious so I think it could just be a slick misdirection. I guess we'll see.

As far as the overall show goes, so far it's fine. I don't dislike it, but so far I wouldnt say I love it either. I think this show will hinge on how well it sticks the landing as they say. If the ending is just ok like Wandavision was, the overall perception of the show will just be, meh it was ok in my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Alright, so if no minds, I'm gonna get into some rank speculation.

There's been talk around the internet that Episode 5 is gonna have a cameo that will blow people's minds. Here's a quote from the creator of the show, Malcolm Spellman:

"'There are characters in our series who I would love to see partnered with like — it’s a very, very grounded character — partnered with one of the big world-shakers like Thor or someone like that. The personality is so strong.'"

There's been a ton of theories on who it could be. Funnily enough, the article I just read didn't even mention the character I think it is. They instead kept going on about it being misleading, or various different characters we've already seen like Ant-Man or Spider-Man.

But here's the thing. Not to get too political, but there's been a conscious effort on the part of the show to address not only the legacy of Captain America but also the legacy of race in the U.S. Like with Isaiah Bradley-he's from a comic series called Truth: Red, White and Black that deals with Black soldiers being tested on by a character in today's episode, Dr. Nagel. So there's a character out there we've already seen that deals with that legacy, of a Black man being tested and enhanced unethically, and who in the comics has had association with Falcon:

Luke Cage, played by Mike Colter.

I'm going to assume that in the spoiler tag that you're guessing, "Mephisto."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
zemo-dance.gif

Disney Analyst

I really love that we are getting the show the way it is.

It’s nice to have them dive into the consequences of what happens in the movies. They normally gloss over the after math of the crazy world events, so it’s nice to see a realistic depiction of the aftermath of something like the snap. How it effect the world. But also the PTSD Bucky faces is fascinating, and Sam’s own issues post snap and with Cap.

khlaylav

I'm going to assume that in the spoiler tag that you're guessing, "Mephisto."
Duh.

But seriously I'd done a tiny bit of research into the potential rights issues of my cameo and they might work out.

As far as I know, Disney couldn't use the Netflix characters for two years afterwards and I think they're coming up on it. And hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'm not about to make an angry YouTube video about how they betrayed me forever if it wasn't Luke Cage. If I'm right though I'm gonna gloat :cool:

waltography

I really love that we are getting the show the way it is.

It’s nice to have them dive into the consequences of what happens in the movies. They normally gloss over the after math of the crazy world events, so it’s nice to see a realistic depiction of the aftermath of something like the snap. How it effect the world. But also the PTSD Bucky faces is fascinating, and Sam’s own issues post snap and with Cap.
Finally caught up to Episode 3 and I totally agree with this. If WandaVision was the strange and kooky entry into Phase 4, FatWS brought it straight back down to Earth in a way that speaks to the moment (which I think is why it's much harder to get into this series for folks; it is for me). The Isaiah Bradley moment followed immediately by racial profiling was uncomfortable to watch.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

We're also coming from WandaVision, with the most powerful character in the MCU. Now we have a show about sidekicks w/ a lot less power.

Having Bucky and Sam act more human, and vulnerable (psychological/societal), is probably more realistic to their actual abilities (especially since the FS had 5 years to prepare for battle).
Wanda maybe the "most powerful", which I still don't consider her, but she is the least interesting and boring.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Alright, so if no minds, I'm gonna get into some rank speculation.

There's been talk around the internet that Episode 5 is gonna have a cameo that will blow people's minds. Here's a quote from the creator of the show, Malcolm Spellman:

"'There are characters in our series who I would love to see partnered with like — it’s a very, very grounded character — partnered with one of the big world-shakers like Thor or someone like that. The personality is so strong.'"

There's been a ton of theories on who it could be. Funnily enough, the article I just read didn't even mention the character I think it is. They instead kept going on about it being misleading, or various different characters we've already seen like Ant-Man or Spider-Man.

But here's the thing. Not to get too political, but there's been a conscious effort on the part of the show to address not only the legacy of Captain America but also the legacy of race in the U.S. Like with Isaiah Bradley-he's from a comic series called Truth: Red, White and Black that deals with Black soldiers being tested on by a character in today's episode, Dr. Nagel. So there's a character out there we've already seen that deals with that legacy, of a Black man being tested and enhanced unethically, and who in the comics has had association with Falcon:

Luke Cage, played by Mike Colter.
No. You will not see any netflix characters in the actual MCU

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

people are upset their stupid wanadavision theories did not come true and are mad at marvel plus this show is straight forward with a good show runner who does not play games with their audience and knows their audience. People love that stupid Lost/Wandavision mystery box crap where they try to solve stupid mysteries that just like Lost had no payoff or point. the people here don't like straightforward shows they can't make endless guesses about or post videos showing how we missed all these little background clues.

erasure fan1

people are upset their stupid wanadavision theories did not come true and are mad at marvel plus this show is straight forward with a good show runner who does not play games with their audience and knows their audience. People love that stupid Lost/Wandavision mystery box crap where they try to solve stupid mysteries that just like Lost had no payoff or point. the people here don't like straightforward shows they can't make endless guesses about or post videos showing how we missed all these little background clues.
While I will agree that this show doesn't lend itself to tons of background speculation. I think there is a lot more going on as to why we aren't seeing the buzz. The show is half over and do we really know who the villain is? No, not really. That is pretty mystery box.

I don't agree that people here don't like straight forward shows. Captain America Winter soldier is still referenced as one of the gold standards in the MCU. It is always on tons of peoples number one list. And that is the most straight forward movie in the MCU.

Personally I think your statement about people being mad because their Wandavision theories is kind of true. But mad isn't the right word. I think because of the way Wandavision ended, people aren't expecting this to have big ramifications in the MCU. So as they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. People might just be waiting to see how it all plays out. I still think this show needs a holy poop ending otherwise it will be viewed as good/average not great. Heck, maybe people are waiting until the shows done so they can just binge it all at once. And that is why the chatter isn't as high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom