SPOILERS: ETERNALS Discussion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So.... What was it that critics didn't like about Marvel and superhero movies?

No consequences: Characters don't die or stay dead.

Well, we know that is *not* the case in Eternals.​

Serious dramatic scenes don't linger, always broken up with something comedic

While some dark moments had the cracking wise, the moments of traumatic loss linger without some quip​

Choices too black and white

Kill a planet now, filled with sentient beings in order to create a galaxy of planets with a million billion new sentient beings, or, let the cosmic lights go out? A good case was made for both sides. And the Eternals split over it, with even one just bowing out and not taking a side.​

Formulaic origin stories that starts with a jerk/naif who finds it within themselves to rise to the challenge and grow

Yes, it's an origin story. But with people already imbued with the heroic self-identity and generally good. Until they find out they've been used by a higher power who actually abuses them with memory wipes and keeping their real mission from them. It is that which they have to overcome, not their selfishness or learning how to use their brand-new gee-whiz powers.​

Director's have no real voice; they have to mold themselves to the Marvel formula

Both the critics who didn't like it and the fans all say it breaks the mold. And, dear critics... isn't that what you wanted? Chloé has gone on the record that Disney/Marvel gave her nearly free reign. No pre-vis that she had to follow. And it showed in the movie that there was a different directorial eye toward the cinematic experience.​

The heroes bring the problems on themselves that they have to then fix

The Eternals were used. They didn't create a monster that got out control. They put a cork on someone else's genie in a bottle.​

Everything is reset, everyone goes back to they way there were before, no real growth

Yeah, some are dead and not reset. Sprite's now a real girl. Some are looking to 'free' other Eternals from their conditioning. Others are enduring the consequence of their rebellion.​

Villains are just motivated by 'being evil'
  • The Deviant were poised to be the the villains. They were presented by the Celestial (from a certain point of views) as a mistake, when, they were in fact, just as much as used as the Eternals. The broke from their conditioning and rebelled (which most of the Eternals did, too). The real villain is the Celestial sacrificing billions of sentient beings (what we like to call 'genocide') in order to make more Celestials that can complete the Circle of Life by creating more sentient beings.

There's no grand theme, or, just one theme not explored much.

Well, in the movie we have these themes:​
  • "Following orders" v. making one's own decisions.
  • Role of religion
  • Choosing to love; and choosing to have and take care of a family as one's first obligation
  • Human depravity v. human enlightenment
  • Interfering/intervention v. allowing free will choices v. harm done to others
  • Use and abuse of technology
  • Taking responsibility for one's actions
  • Using others/beings for a supposed greater good
  • Questioning what makes one human/alive

So... I liked it. A lot.

Jedijax719

Seems like the reasons they don't like the movie are the same reasons that they complain about other superhero movies. Well, the audience score has started strong so hopefully that counters it for better legs.

Also seems to me that the ONE common reason critics did not like it (lots of exposition, less action than usual) is THE reason they need another. If they lay so much groundwork in this movie, they can get to non-stop action in the next, which seems to be what critics feed upon.

They should not give up on this one.
Captain America 1: meh reception (I really liked it)
Captain America 2: VERY well received!
Captain America 3: also very well received

Thor 1: Meh reception
Thor 2: poor reception
Thor 3: Excellent reception!

So, there ya go! MCU/Feige know how to make comebacks after "missteps".

Last edited:

Lucky Rabbit

I give the movie a 7/10. This movie was VERY ambitious and attempted to tell a huge story. What kind of got lost for me was getting attached to the characters. So when certain people died or Ikaris betrays them it didn't hit me as hard. That small critique aside I really love that Marvel attempted to make a movie like this. I loved the cinematography and action sequences. I really hope this does well at the box office because Zhao deserves a sequel. I think with so much groundwork laid out an Eternals 2 would be amazing.

Lucky Rabbit

I thought that's who's voice I heard, excited to have it confirmed.

As someone who doesn't know a lot about the Black Knight, and his connections to Blade, this got me up to speed: https://www.ign.com/articles/eternals-marvel-post-credits-black-knight-kit-harington-blade

Slpy3270

Eternals grossed $9.5 million in Thursday night previews, ahead of Shang-Chi but below Black Widow and Venom II (which, in fairness, had established characters anyway).

Internationally, the movie has grossed $20 million so far.

Jedijax719

Audiences, so far, seem to really like it. Not sure how many are verified, but there hasn't been any review bombing from "audiences" yet. Some reviewers said that they really want a sequel. What would be a horrible shame is if the movie calls for a sequel, people want a sequel, but the RT critic score becomes so low that it kills the box office. Then, as a result, Feige/MCU/Disney decide not to make a sequel due to the box office that resulted from the critics review.

That is WAY too much power for haughty-taughty critics who have become way too complicated and unpredictable, but still influence revenue. And pesky internet headlines and social media which run with stories like "most rotten MCU movie ever" just for clicks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Audiences, so far, seem to really like it. Not sure how many are verified, but there hasn't been any review bombing from "audiences" yet. Some reviewers said that they really want a sequel. What would be a horrible shame is if the movie calls for a sequel, people want a sequel, but the RT critic score becomes so low that it kills the box office. Then, as a result, Feige/MCU/Disney decide not to make a sequel due to the box office that resulted from the critics review.

That is WAY too much power for haughty-taughty critics who have become way too complicated and unpredictable, but still influence revenue. And pesky internet headlines and social media which run with stories like "most rotten MCU movie ever" just for clicks.
Disney does their own internal polling, focus groups, merch sale, follows how well the movie does in post-theatrical windows, and monitors online 'buzz.'

If the movie is popular with the audience, it is ripe for a sequel, even if its Box Office isn't that good (Wreck-it Ralph) or low critics' scores (Curse of the Black Pearl).

Jedijax719

It's very obvious what happened. Certain Chinese government official paid off a lot of American critics to give the movie a low rating in order to get back at Chloe. Come on, we all KNOW that is what happened!!! 😜

But seriously. this is VERY different from what we saw with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. Those movies had specific expectations (and still did well despite responses). Chloe did not change the fabric of an expected story nor change any legendary beloved character. She (or anyone if they decide to drop her) could very well come back, change the nature of a sequel, and that sequel could be a HUGE critic success and monster box office success. That's how the MCU has worked. Like I said before, Thor came storming back after Dark World. So did Iron Man (although I personally liked IM2 a LOT more than IM3). MCU fans don't cry all day because their childhoods were ripped out of their hearts (Star Wars). And the producers don't stick with a failed plan (DCEU). They adjust and succeed.

Last edited:

Ghost93

While I do think it would have worked better as a miniseries or two-part film, I honestly loved Eternals. I admired it's ambition, the worldbuilding and lore, the STUNNING visuals, the serious tone and the performances of the cast. I was actually surprised how much I cared about each of the Eternals despite the movie having to juggle TEN of them.

While I understand the criticisms of the odd pacing (I think the story should have been told in linear order instead of constantly flashing back and forth) it didn't bother me too much. It really didn't even feel like a superhero movie, much more like ancient mythology.

I think the sequel (if we get one) will probably be received better since the first Eternals movie already did the heavy lifting of establishing the Eternals backstory and introducing them all. The sequel will also likely be dealing with a smaller cast since Ajak, Gilgamesh and Ikaris are dead and Sprite has been turned into a human.

Though before we get Eternals 2, I suspect that Thena, Druig, Makkari and Harry Styles will first cross paths with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel or the Fantastic Four. I also think Dane Whitman will either get his own spin off or feature heavily in the upcoming Blade movie (it has been confirmed that Mahershala Ali's Blade was the one who spoke to Dane in the post credits scene).

Phicinfan

Loved the movie. Great job and really enjoyable.
I don't think you have to have a Eternals 2 - you could easily tie in some of not all of this into Marvels or GotG 3.
I wonder if they use Arishem's Judgement to be creation of Galactus, wouldn't that be fun.

With Dane Whitman getting the Ebony Blade and the voice talking to him being Blade, I think you will see some Midnight Sons or a few other "demon" hunting work coming - tying in Manwolf, Moon Knight and Ghost Rider?

NO issues with the policital issues - I thought the fact that he had a family he was willing to fight for was a huge key to the story.

BrianLo

I was honestly expecting a hot mess, based on the critical reception. And it was good.

I largely agree it would have made for a good six episodes or two shorter movies (but in process fleshing out it’s full cast). When they were finally gathering the group, I had troubles remembering multiple eternals.

This isn’t a Wonder Woman 2 or Justice League type situation. I could have done an extra hour, but not in one sitting.

Kit Harrington was a bit funny to have so sidelined. I wonder if there was a treatment he partially came along for the ride.

Last edited:

Screamface

I personally found it the most boring of the MCU films I have seen. Some neat ideas, but it was all handled in an uninteresting manner. With previous weaker MCU films, I still could have some fun with them.

It felt like another studio went, "we will do a superhero film, but do it better." Then got a bunch of people who don't like and have never seen superhero films to make it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This movie had so many great pieces, but I feel bummed about they way they all came together. Sersi and Ikaris were by far the least interesting characters, and they got all of the screen time. I wanted more Thena, more Kingo, and more Druig.

It also just felt slightly off, like it didn't belong in the same world as the rest of the MCU.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Okay just watched this on Disney+ - really enjoyed the film!

Did not expect Harry Styles. Did not expect the end end credits scene.

Can’t wait for more!
I really liked it as well. It was something different for the MCU, which is always nice.

This movie had so many great pieces, but I feel bummed about they way they all came together. Sersi and Ikaris were by far the least interesting characters, and they got all of the screen time. I wanted more Thena, more Kingo, and more Druig.

It also just felt slightly off, like it didn't belong in the same world as the rest of the MCU.
Well good news we'll be getting more of Thena and Druig at least in a future MCU films.

As for not belonging in the MCU, I disagree. Maybe its placement in Phase 4, in a post-End Game world, is what makes it seem out of place for you. But its story of how hero's are bound by duty even when it seems counter to their nature and overcoming that is what I liked about it and why I think it belongs in the MCU.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I just watched it on Disney+ and I'm glad I didn't have to attempt sitting through its duration in a theater (unless it was a place like Film Alley with recliners, food, and beverage service). For me it dragged in the middle, so much that I turned it off and did something for a few hours before I could force myself to finish it.

Vegas Disney Fan

Watched this on D+ tonight and found it very different from all the Marvel movies, much more a drama rather than the comedy action flicks most Marvel movies are. I also had no idea who any of the Eternals were or where the story was going so it was kind of hard to follow.

Ultimately I liked it but I found it a little slow and didn’t feel a connection to most of the characters.

The Bollywood character and his valet were very funny and the strong Asian character that watched over Jolie was fantastic, the rest I never really connected with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom