spoiled by disney parks

mf1972

Original Poster
clueless_amber_whatever.gif
touche

GrammieBee

Up until a few years ago (age has caught up with us) we were big roller coaster fans. We have been to just about every major and many minor amusement parks in the USA. We've been to parks that no longer exist.
We are also fans of WDW and Disneyland. Not fanatics, but fans.

You can't say that WDW spoils your liking for other parks because it is an entirely different concept. It is a major RESORT destination with incredible theming and many things to do besides the four parks. While many of the other amusement parks have an attached water park and'/or hotel, they are not a resort. The closest to WDW, at this point, is probably Universal, Orlando.

Many of the other parks we still visit are very very nice and we like them a lot. But they are visited by most people for only a day or two. Perhaps three. Sort of a mini vacation. Some have nicer landscaping, some have better theming, some are cleaner, some have better food, some have more thrill rides and some have more courteous and better dressed customers. They are also less expensive than Disney. The point remains that they are primarily amusement parks with an assortment of rides, attractions and shows. That doesn't mean they are not fun!

tinkerblonde11

I really don't see how Six Flags could be compared to Uni... I mean I haven't been to them as much as WDW but seriously Uni's theming is great. And look at the new WWHP area it looks amazing! One park I went to and enjoyed a lot was Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, I saw someone had mentioned it as well. The grounds are great and so pretty. It has a few bigger exposed roller coasters which are fun but the heavily themed rides like Curse of Darkastle were great and the buildings were very well done. I missed Disney very much, but the niceness of the park made not getting to The World that year much easier.

mf1972

Original Poster
Up until a few years ago (age has caught up with us) we were big roller coaster fans. We have been to just about every major and many minor amusement parks in the USA. We've been to parks that no longer exist.
We are also fans of WDW and Disneyland. Not fanatics, but fans.

You can't say that WDW spoils your liking for other parks because it is an entirely different concept. It is a major RESORT destination with incredible theming and many things to do besides the four parks. While many of the other amusement parks have an attached water park and'/or hotel, they are not a resort. The closest to WDW, at this point, is probably Universal, Orlando.

Many of the other parks we still visit are very very nice and we like them a lot. But they are visited by most people for only a day or two. Perhaps three. Sort of a mini vacation. Some have nicer landscaping, some have better theming, some are cleaner, some have better food, some have more thrill rides and some have more courteous and better dressed customers. They are also less expensive than Disney. The point remains that they are primarily amusement parks with an assortment of rides, attractions and shows. That doesn't mean they are not fun!
I agree. every park has their own perks whether you like them or not. I forgot to mention Hershey Park. not as big as other parks. has it's own charm . we enjoyed it. to each their own.

Britt

I've learned to go to other parks with an open mind. Went to Eliches a few weeks ago and was SHOCKED to see gum guards over peoples heads. Because people spit (or lose?) their gum on the rides and to keep it from landing on guests, they had HUGE nets to catch the gum. How would you like the job of cleaning THAT off? ick. I've never seen anything remotely like that at Disney.

lazyboy97o

I've learned to go to other parks with an open mind. Went to Eliches a few weeks ago and was SHOCKED to see gum guards over peoples heads. Because people spit (or lose?) their gum on the rides and to keep it from landing on guests, they had HUGE nets to catch the gum. How would you like the job of cleaning THAT off? ick. I've never seen anything remotely like that at Disney.
Disney had plenty of similar problems with the Skyway at both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Oh. Does the different European country theming not count? Or the themed rides like Curse of DarKastle, Escape from Pompeii or Verbolten?

Not particularly looking for a huge argument.. But Curse of Darkastle was a cheap knockoff of UNI's Spider Man. It wasn't that great.

However, I do agree with you on the theming with the plants and everything. It really is a beautiful park and they have some really good coasters! :)

Britt

It certainly helps that you can't buy gum anywhere in the parks.
I always bring my own gum in (as I think many guests do/would?), but I've never seen gum anywhere at Disney, on the floor or any rides. The maintenance does an amazing job!!

BigTxEars

I always bring my own gum in (as I think many guests do/would?), but I've never seen gum anywhere at Disney, on the floor or any rides. The maintenance does an amazing job!!

I agree they do a great job on keeping the parks clean. That many people per day in the parks and they somehow keep them clean :cool:

Nemo14

Didn't you ever see the gum wall on Splash? Gross!!!

Dwarful

We go to a lot of other amusement parks. We have always received friendly service at Silver Dollar City, Holiday World and Dollywood. Silver Dollar City does a good job in the Ozark mountains with natural beauty...although the family sold off to another corporation and changes are happening that don't make me thrilled. I love the free parking at SDC, free drinks at HW and cleanliness at all three. I don't 'pine to be at WDW' when we are on a Branson trip...its a different kind of get away for us. Same with Dollywood and HW.

We have passes for Six Flags STL because we live so close and my girls love thrill rides. It is NOT the SF I grew up with....not near as clean, not near as 'family friendly'. They are going for the thrill seekers...but we know that when we go....so we have a different set of expectations.

Of course our Season Passes for SF cost us $300 for our family of 5 and that includes free parking. We have Season Passes for SDC cost us about the same. SDC gives everyone free parking but we do get discounts on sit down dining and some other pass perks....including 50% off tickets for Dollywood.

I guess what I'm saying is I spend less than 10% of my WDW budget for my SF budget so I have no expectation to compare them. If I were spending 3,000 for SF you bet my expectations would be different. lol

BigTxEars

We go to a lot of other amusement parks. We have always received friendly service at Silver Dollar City, Holiday World and Dollywood. Silver Dollar City does a good job in the Ozark mountains with natural beauty...although the family sold off to another corporation and changes are happening that don't make me thrilled. I love the free parking at SDC, free drinks at HW and cleanliness at all three. I don't 'pine to be at WDW' when we are on a Branson trip...its a different kind of get away for us. Same with Dollywood and HW.

We have passes for Six Flags STL because we live so close and my girls love thrill rides. It is NOT the SF I grew up with....not near as clean, not near as 'family friendly'. They are going for the thrill seekers...but we know that when we go....so we have a different set of expectations.

Of course our Season Passes for SF cost us $300 for our family of 5 and that includes free parking. We have Season Passes for SDC cost us about the same. SDC gives everyone free parking but we do get discounts on sit down dining and some other pass perks....including 50% off tickets for Dollywood.

I guess what I'm saying is I spend less than 10% of my WDW budget for my SF budget so I have no expectation to compare them. If I were spending 3,000 for SF you bet my expectations would be different. lol

True enough :)

I grew up going to Astroworld (a SF park) in Houston. When I left town for the military I was gone for 6 years. When I returned I eventurally took my kids to Astroworld, as soon as I saw they had metal detectors at the gates I knew it was not the same park I had loved :( It's gone none, nothing but a empty field of grass.

I agree the money paid for our season passes at Fiesta Texas (a SF park as well) was around $60 per head, just paid $464 per head at WDW for APs and that was on sale! So I agree, we expect and pay more at Disney :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom