SPLITSVILLE

mandelbrot

Wow, is the food that bad? You would have to pay me to eat there and we have tried at least 4 times and two locations for Applebee's.
They have these "Filet Sliders" for $18. You get two small sliders. The "filet" is a piece of beef half the size of the slider bun and is cooked well done and is dry and chewy. I had a flatbread there that was decent for about $25 and their fries with dill dip (about $12 I think) are okay. I've never been brave enough to try their sushi since their bar selection is so bad I can't find enough liquid courage.

mandelbrot

As the poster formerly known as Hatbox Ghostbuster, you must be right about that. Coincidentally, I've never been back to Splitsville since the time of my original post.

It is a nice reminder though that I wish DtD could get a proper sushi place. Maybe a partnership with Katsuya? Surely Disney could lure (hehe) a nice sushi chef over.
Patina has been lobbying for years to bring Morimoto Asia to DTD. I even saw Chef Morimoto doing a tasting at Catal for Disney execs a couple years ago. It's likely that the presence of Splitsville will prevent that from ever happening now. It would be too much competition for Splitsville and Disney tries to minimize direct competition in DTD.

There were tentative plans to replace Catal with another Patina concept along with converting the second floor of Tortilla Jo's to a separate restaurant (also Patina) but I have no idea where those plans are at now or what types of restaurants they would be. But I'd be really surprised if they opened up a place that serves sushi

TP2000

Patina has been lobbying for years to bring Morimoto Asia to DTD. I even saw Chef Morimoto doing a tasting at Catal for Disney execs a couple years ago. It's likely that the presence of Splitsville will prevent that from ever happening now. It would be too much competition for Splitsville and Disney tries to minimize direct competition in DTD.

There were tentative plans to replace Catal with another Patina concept along with converting the second floor of Tortilla Jo's to a separate restaurant (also Patina) but I have no idea where those plans are at now or what types of restaurants they would be. But I'd be really surprised if they opened up a place that serves sushi

That's fascinating information! Thank you for sharing.

I mentioned this a few months ago in another thread, but I was told by someone who knows a great deal about commercial real estate in SoCal that LA based Patina Group, and their East Coast corporate parent Delaware North, was really hurting after their entire business model was shut down coast to coast by Covid closures. I haven't heard anything lately, but earlier this summer they were teetering on the brink...

I can't imagine Patina will be jumping into new concepts that require them to pump huge amounts of capital into things anytime soon.

But the point remains, as consistently good as Catal has been for the past 20 years, it's time for something new and fresher in that space. Tortilla Jo's is also past its prime in its current state, but less so than Catal.

TP2000

This was my mistake, I corrected my original post and create a new on in the Disney Springs forum.

And it was a happy mistake at that. It gave us a fun little side conversation that was a nice break from all the "Disneyland Is Still Closed!" talk that is generally all we have to work with here. :D

TP2000

Splitsville fills a vital role in my Disneyland trips. They will give me a serviceable plate of french fries and a cold beer, and then turn on the soccer game. This is crucial when my nieces start to get on my nerves.

Well, see?! There's someone with something nice to say about Splitsville!

They do offer a valuable service for some folks, I can see that.

mandelbrot

Splitsville fills a vital role in my Disneyland trips. They will give me a serviceable plate of french fries and a cold beer, and then turn on the soccer game. This is crucial when my nieces start to get on my nerves.
If you get the chance try the Jazz Kitchen bar during the day which is often quite peaceful. They'll usually accommodate requests for sports on TV and have a good beer selection. And their Dippin Tots blow Splitsville's fries out of the water!

Th3 DUd3

Went once, got up-charged $4 on a drink I can get a stone's throw away. Thank you, but that kind of charge is only for venues that have concerts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom