Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
Actually I dont appreciate it, because the vast majority of their tweet pics are blurry phone pics of them at an event, or a pic of the free drink, or a pic of them and a celebrity. It is no help to me and my trips to WDW to see what they do at private events.

Looking through the Twitter accounts of some of the "media" that posted during the events is absolutely laughable. The coverage is pathetic, unless you want to see lots of "this is what I'm getting for free that you won't".

You should see their twitter feeds now - evidently we are all a bunch of "losers." This is getting quite comical.

PhotoDave219

How sad (and wrong) you are, PAL.
You obviously have ZERO clue on what we are REALLY talking about so you might as well excuse yourself from the conversation.
The girl showed no class; end of story.

So once again this is all because you have a problem with my friend as opposed to who Disney credentials as media, their Social Media meet-up registration or any of the other issues you raised above.

Instead you have a problem with a person on the internet.

Grow up.

cdunbar

When the "Dumbo Blogger" stops sending out tweets from Disney events, about Disney Characters, (which she is VERY LUCKY to be a part of) that contain profanity, maybe we will look at her a bit differently. Until then, she's just another one of those looking for a free handout, regardless of who she works for and what they do.
Umm... Pretty sure... No I'm sorry scratch that... I'M POSITIVE that she does not nor has she ever cursed on the twitter for the site she works for. Does she curse on her PERSONAL account... yep... But unless I missed something along the way that's ok because well it's not her work account. If you don't like what she's saying don't follow her. Hell, don't follow me either cause good lord knows I drop the f bomb upon occasion. And I'm sorry, but accusing one of my friends of "looking for a free handout" when you don't know her is truly a terrible thing to say, because this woman is one of the strongest, hardest working, and kindest women I know.

WDW1974

This thread caused me to want to post for the first time in FOREVER.

What a joke. If the media event is too much work and not enough fun, quit going. It's not like there's a shortage of people to tell us that the grey stuff is delicious.

What's laughable is that people would ever call going to these events work. I've been to numerous Disney events and other junket type events. They are many things, but work wouldn't be one.

It was funny to see Mongello so disinterested in doing his 'job' when he was podcasting from the party. It was obvious his interest was the buffet line and/or the bar along with his pals (Scott Otis was one ... some woman too). Most of the online whores who attend these events want to basically tell all the other online fans that 'look at me, I am soooo special and you are sitting home reading this ... sucks to be you ... but I just got a glowtini in a free Gaston Goblet!' or schmooze Disney officials so they can get more whoring opportunities. Actually, providing coverage for their folllowers is usually one of the last thing on their minds.

cdunbar

Actually I dont appreciate it, because the vast majority of their tweet pics are blurry phone pics of them at an event, or a pic of the free drink, or a pic of them and a celebrity. It is no help to me and my trips to WDW to see what they do at private events.

Looking through the Twitter accounts of some of the "media" that posted during the events is absolutely laughable. The coverage is pathetic, unless you want to see lots of "this is what I'm getting for free that you won't".
Ok, the great thing about twitter is that you have the ability to pick and choose who you follow. If you don't like these pictures or what they are saying then just don't follow them.

cdunbar

I doubt you'd last 5 minutes with me - and MANY others on here. Thank God.
Throwing insults regarding my intelligence, or lack there of according to your less than mediocre opinion, is perhaps not the best idea. Especially considering you have no idea who I am.

WDW1974

Couple of thoughts.... Since I am "The Media" and all... but i dont cover nor work for the Mouse.

Ah, you're the media? Um ... no. You may work in the field, but that just makes you ... I guess a media professional.

First.... that "dumbo blogger" you're about? One of my best friends in the real world. She works for a research company that publishes books that cover WDW as well as managing social media for them. Thats her JOB that she gets paid for.

Yes. We all know she works for Len Testa's little empire. I don't know the man. I've heard both good and bad, but clearly he makes a very nice living for himself and 'employs' seemingly countless bloggers who he trains on how to get freebies from the Mouse (interesting when his guide is supposed to be 'unofficial' which to me equates with unbiased and fair). But we (or some folks) were talking about your friend.

My advice to her, not that she gives a damn according to the Twitverse (amusing that so many folks, bloggers, are reading but won't comment here because it's much better to talk to a choir of friends), would be to mind her language and 'tude in her online behavior. Disney IS paying attention to folks and starting to realize that being in bed with unstable (not saying your friend is one, I know nothing about her other than she is apparently dating Tom 'WDW Has Never Been Better Ah ... Wait, That Was Before They Didn't Credential Me' Corless) bloggers/podcasters/webmasters may not be the smartest strategy.

Nothing online is private when you put it out to the world. And obscene posts from Disney media parties isn't smart. Period. Calling oneself a 'Ginormous ' while trying to allign oneself with a corporation that has a squeaky clean image isn't smart. All from a mother of young children (Disney's favorite demo). Again, I'm trying to offer constructive advice.

It seems there's an easy way for your friend to look more professional. Don't use profanity in your tweets. Don't label yourself proudly in such an ugly way that can bite you on the down the road.

Second.... the "media" Disney caters to isn't the real "media." They're generally fanboys who have made a website with the intention of getting into Disney things for free in exchange for positive publicity and blog writing. They aren't professional media people by any stretch of the imagination. These are the same people who think that John Carter from Mars is an oscar worthy film. I have not seen ANY of these people at any of the real news events that happen in town outside of "tourism" events; ce

Absolutely. The issue is with them being treated on an equal playing field with REAL media and with many of them not being honest about what's in it for them. Lots of free stuff.

Does Disney have a problem with who they have credentialed as "Media"? Yes. Giant problem. Can with a website be considered media? Seems that way.

So your problem is with Disney and who they credential as media... because these are some of the same obsessed people that fill up the social media spots.

Websites are not media anymore than Lou Mongello or Ricky Brigante or even Len Testa are journalists. Yes, the problem is with Disney and who it is credentialing and who it isn't (you won't even see Kevin Yee at one ... hell, I don't think he's ever been to an event as a 'guest/plus one' of one of them because ... well, you don't want to be seen with anyone who might be fair')

WDW1974

Also, for any of you saying Media isn't work, I'd love to see you at the next triple-murder scene I'm at....

Can you imagine just one of the bloggers from the Disney world at a triple murder scene?

(maybe being involved, but that's another topic!)

You just nailed what the difference is between real media and folks who take pictures of construction walls and Duffy costumes and new merchandise carts in World Showcase and call it work.

cdunbar

Alright '74 you have pushed a very serious boundary, business and one's personal life are two separate entities. Her love life is none of your business no matter who she dates.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
Throwing insults regarding my intelligence, or lack there of according to your less than mediocre opinion, is perhaps not the best idea. Especially considering you have no idea who I am.

My mediocre opinion has ruffled some feathers it appears. Some folks don't like to be exposed for what they really may be.

WDW1974

I think the issue was more that attending Disney's media events as a fan blogger isn't the grueling exercise Brigante made it out to be, not that real media work isn't work.

Exactly, folks who think this is a job should get a real job, quit leeching off the Mouse's teet, and then see if they feel the same.

Camping out in front of the Tiki Room for a week every morning isn't work, but it just might be mental illness.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think we should be trying to discredit the effort it takes to put together packages sites like Inside the Magic create. The videos, the content, etc don't all just make themselves, nor is it just a straight dump from camera to web. So for someone to call it 'work' - I would agree. But just like when I used to work trade shows.. it was a lot of work mixed with a lot of play too.

Edit to add: the effort to get things online FAST too also significantly increases the workload.

So I don't have a problem with him saying it was work and he can't relax the same way as if it were purely a personal thing he wasn't looking to document. But hopping into a limited capacity event, which basically duplicates what they did on the Mouse's dime already, and mysteriously so reliably.. which blocks others from having a chance.. I think is crap and selfish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom