Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

sweetpee_1993

Someone called Brigante out; I don't agree with his response, though.
Pete Garage@PeteGarage
@disneyparks Blog Examples...@InsideTheMagic @AllEarsDeb@studioscentral Save these events for non-media! They go to everything already.
Collapse
5:47 PM - 11 Dec 12 · Details
Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic
@PeteGarage Remember media events, while often fun, are BUSY working events. Press can be fans in off time. Blog events offer fun w/out work
Hide conversation

I don't tweet or whatever and don't pay much attention to any of the parks blog stuff...I have no time for all that. However, I'd love to know how to get in touch with this Ricky Brigante clown so I can call him on his utter BS noted above. Work? Are you frickin' kiddin' me?!?! Spend a full day doing manual labor then come tell me how hard that stupid media event was. These schmucks are as worthless as politicians. Want the truth about Disney happenings? Read forums where real people not benefiting financially for selling their drivel discuss things and you'll have the least biased, real info you seek.

cdunbar

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ks-blog-meet-up-at-downtown-disney-attendees/

Can anyone tell me why it is always the SAME names on these lists, time and time again? I have not made the cut on the last three meet-ups, yet I'm confident my email was sent immediately after posting. I see LOTS of familiar names (a great many already attended the media preview) so why the need to take a space from other fans who'd like an opportunity to see as well?

Could not help but notice the "infamous" F****NG Dumbo" blogger made the cut.

Enlighten me please.

Sour grapes on my part? I'll admit it, yes.

Thanks everyone.
Wow, y'all really don't like this Dumbo person... What'd she ever do to you??

I_heart_Tigger

I have to say I found it pretty hilarious when a blogger came up to my friend who worked as a greeter in Canada a year or so ago. He was taking tons of pictures and started the conversation with his "blogger name" (she doesn't even remember what it was). She gave him a strange look and he was shocked beyond belief when she said she hadn't heard of him.

He said he was one of the most prominent Disney Bloggers in the world and asked if she kept up to date on Disney things. She said she comes here every day so yes she's up to date and unless he blogs for LOLCats or I Can Haz Cheezburger? she probably hasn't had the pleasure of seeing his work.

The handful of Bloggers that usually get to go to these things have no interest for me. They spout the same common drivel day after day. They have no opinions, they just copy and paste news releases and put smiley faces with them. I don't need a blogger to tell me that New Fantasyland is opening YAY! :D:):p

Have you actually contacted anyone and asked what the criteria and process is for being accpeted. Maybe a little nudge nudge in asking why the same people go all the time when credible bloggers are overlooked might give you an in for next time.

Also, sorry for my ignorance and if it's already posted here somewhere but where do I find your blog? I would like the chance to read it.

PhotoDave219

Couple of thoughts.... Since I am "The Media" and all... but i dont cover nor work for the Mouse.

First.... that "dumbo blogger" you're about? One of my best friends in the real world. She works for a research company that publishes books that cover WDW as well as managing social media for them. Thats her JOB that she gets paid for.

Second.... the "media" Disney caters to isn't the real "media." They're generally fanboys who have made a website with the intention of getting into Disney things for free in exchange for positive publicity and blog writing. They aren't professional media people by any stretch of the imagination. These are the same people who think that John Carter from Mars is an oscar worthy film. I have not seen ANY of these people at any of the real news events that happen in town outside of "tourism" events; ce

Does Disney have a problem with who they have credentialed as "Media"? Yes. Giant problem. Can with a website be considered media? Seems that way.

So your problem is with Disney and who they credential as media... because these are some of the same obsessed people that fill up the social media spots.

Lee

Adventurer
So your problem is with Disney and who they credential as media... because these are some of the same obsessed people that fill up the social media spots.
Excellent point.
Disney set the bar way too low the last few years, which has led to an overabundance of self-important bloggers that try to attend every possible function, and milk every perk they can get off the Mouse. Elbowing each other for a spot on the gravy train.

Now, Disney seems to be trying to pull back a bit. Good for them. I hope they can do it.
My suggestion: If you don't work for a newspaper, television or other established media...you're SOL.
(No, just having a website, podcast, or blog won't do.)

And for those they do let in...no plus ones. No real business need for it, and the ability to bring the whole family makes it too attractive for the ...umm...(for lack of a better term)...undesirables.

sweetpee_1993

Also, for any of you saying Media isn't work, I'd love to see you at the next triple-murder scene I'm at....

Media is work. No arguement there, Dave. But for someone to make such a lame excuse about going to second free events because the first Disney media hoopla deals were such hard work that they needed to return to have "fun"...that's a bit of a stretch. Let's see, you're going to the place you love to vacation, you're hanging around with people who share your same interests, you're being schmoozed, catered to, and entertained by the object of your passion, and your job is to photograph, document, then bring all the info together to write a nice, informative summary of it all...just sounds a whole lot less like miserable old work than other things that are more menial and less interesting. Heck, that's pretty close to the same thing as trip reporting. Admittedly, it takes dozens of hours all-told for me to do a trip report so I could see where it'd be considered "work". It is hard work. I do it for the pleasure of it. I don't see why one would need to go back again within a few weeks on the freebies as a "fun vs. work" spin when they were just there. Kinda comes of crappy and stingy. Ya know?

cdunbar

Dave covered everything I was going to cover once y'all told me your problem with "the dumbo blogger" as y'all refer to her as. She is also one of my best friends too. The issue seems to be here that you all are mad that she just does a real bang up job at her job. But those of you on twitter, don't you appreciate it, for those of you who don't live local, when these "media" people (yeah that's a flimsy term for Disney -- move on) tweet pictures and info about stuff that is taking place in the parks? Pretty sure you do...

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
When the "Dumbo Blogger" stops sending out tweets from Disney events, about Disney Characters, (which she is VERY LUCKY to be a part of) that contain profanity, maybe we will look at her a bit differently. Until then, she's just another one of those looking for a free handout, regardless of who she works for and what they do.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
First.... that "dumbo blogger" you're about? One of my best friends in the real world. She works for a research company that publishes books that cover WDW as well as managing social media for them. Thats her JOB that she gets paid for.

Well, someone needs to teach her proper decorum and professionalism or she's not long for that JOB that she gets paid for.

ptaylor

Premium Member
But those of you on twitter, don't you appreciate it, for those of you who don't live local, when these "media" people (yeah that's a flimsy term for Disney -- move on) tweet pictures and info about stuff that is taking place in the parks? Pretty sure you do...

Actually I dont appreciate it, because the vast majority of their tweet pics are blurry phone pics of them at an event, or a pic of the free drink, or a pic of them and a celebrity. It is no help to me and my trips to WDW to see what they do at private events.

Looking through the Twitter accounts of some of the "media" that posted during the events is absolutely laughable. The coverage is pathetic, unless you want to see lots of "this is what I'm getting for free that you won't".

PhotoDave219

When the "Dumbo Blogger" stops sending out tweets from Disney events, about Disney Characters, (which she is VERY LUCKY to be a part of, that contain profanity), maybe we will look at her a bit differently. Until then, she's just another one of those looking for a free handout, regardless of who she works for and what they do.

You just showed your true colors there, pal. Sounds to me like you're just looking for something for free... which is what started this whole argument.

You have a problem with her, thats your issue. Grow up and get over yourself.

You want to go to Splitsville? Show up on the 19th and pay like the rest of us, pal.

PhotoDave219

Looking through the Twitter accounts of some of the "media" that posted during the events is absolutely laughable. The coverage is pathetic, unless you want to see lots of "this is what I'm getting for free that you won't".

Well you're getting that coverage for free, right? You're not paying for their photos, right?

Citizen journalism; you get what you pay for. You want great photos, pay a photographer to do it for you.

... because you certainly dont expect me to work for FREE now do you?

ptaylor

Premium Member
Well you're getting that coverage for free, right? You're not paying for their photos, right?

Citizen journalism; you get what you pay for. You want great photos, pay a photographer to do it for you.

... because you certainly dont expect me to work for FREE now do you?
Nah I don't look at it regularly, just took a look out of interest to see what they actually delivered. I get all my coverage of the parks from WDWMAGIC front page or here on the forums.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
You just showed your true colors there, pal. Sounds to me like you're just looking for something for free... which is what started this whole argument.

You have a problem with her, thats your issue. Grow up and get over yourself.

You want to go to Splitsville? Show up on the 19th and pay like the rest of us, pal.

How sad (and wrong) you are, PAL.
You obviously have ZERO clue on what we are REALLY talking about so you might as well excuse yourself from the conversation.
The girl showed no class; end of story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom