News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

celluloid

I think people are just trying to convince themselves Tiana's Bayou Blast isn't coming to FL yet it clearly will.

The new figures in the ride may not have as much wear and tear because they won't be furries. Animatronics have come a long way since Splash opened.

The "Fur" is actually not a huge issue as it is the mechanics and lack of maintenance within. Rubber flex/silicone skin can wear out just as bad and Disney's recent poor show quality standards show that these problems with consistent. Yeti, Shamman, The Muppets, Donald Duck in Philharmagic, Three figures of Grand Fiesta Tour, Tiki plants, Carousel of Progress' horrendous state, Mr. Potatohead, Ursula and others...none of these issues have to do with water. Water makes it harder to access sometimes and if it is really close or in water it can be worse, but it has little to do with it in comparison to just the company not having the standards they once did/should.

celluloid

i wonder if the DL version is gonna get a complete ride system upgrade to the side by side seating in FL?

None of the infastructure is set up for that. It would also go against the concept of it being a retheme Return on Investment over a dynamic ride change.

I am also eagerly anticipating the Mary Poppins attraction, Woody's Roundup BBQ Restaurant, the Spaceship Earth reimagining, etc.

Anything announced pre pandemic that isn't actively being BUILT is fair game to be reduced in scope / cancelled.

I think there's a decent chance only DL gets the Tiana ride. Guess we'll see.

Particularly in the sense that at the time of the announcement they did not anticipate it to be this harsh of a business climate for theme parks, entertainment and leisure for this long. And now international travel is not any closer to coming back again now that we have this recent series of spikes. Disneyland canceled sixth grader community service day trips for goodness sakes.

brb1006

Other than losing Splash Mountain to political correctness, I think the biggest lost in all of this will never being able to hear Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah again in the parks, as that is apparently going away too. Absolutely ridiculous. If they're canceling the song because of the association with the ride and movie... here's a thought, why don't we just cancel the entire Walt Disney Company... after all, they're the company behind this movie
Tokyo Disneyland's 35th Anniversary parade Deeaming Up! still uses the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Daa song briefly during the opening unit featuring Mickey and Pluto.

Heck, it's still used for the Magic Happens Oarade at Disneyland and the Festival Of Fantasy Parade.

Last edited:

91JLovesDisney

if you are going to go through the history of everything, then most things would not be appropriate... There would certainly be no Germany in EPCOT with their difficult Nazi past...as well as that fanciful architecture in Fantasyland... Then also 7 Dwarfs...Beacuse it is German and also mining is like a work camp... Then all of Frontierland... and the Haunted Mansion jokes about death which is inappropriate. Circuses have a very poor history of animal mistreatment, so that should probably go too.
Turn Of The Century Main Street does nothing to enshrine people of color that were there at the time...I think that needs some work too...
And why does Tomorrowland have to be white?
It's all difficult if you want to have a thin skin and be offended by it... So change Splash to PATF and seriously I hope we are finished with this stuff.
100% agreed.

Well thankfully most guests can overlook these things and just enjoy them for what they are.

Like I said,
most guests. And honestly it feels like these days people literally go around LOOKING for things to cancel. Like, can you imagine hopping on the newly-refurbished Snow White's Enchanted Wish, and getting off and saying to your group "I couldn't enjoy that ride because the prince kissed her without her consent, which is basically rape. As soon as I have the opportunity I'm gonna head on Twitter and find the 7 morons who agree with me and start a petition"

Kirby86

100% agreed.

Well thankfully most guests can overlook these things and just enjoy them for what they are.

Like I said, most guests. And honestly it feels like these days people literally go around LOOKING for things to cancel. Like, can you imagine hopping on the newly-refurbished Snow White's Enchanted Wish, and getting off and saying to your group "I couldn't enjoy that ride because the prince kissed her without her consent, which is basically rape. As soon as I have the opportunity I'm gonna head on Twitter and find the 7 morons who agree with me and start a petition"
You may be to late on the Snow White outrage I saw people already brought that up.

PizzaPlanet

I have concerns with your views on what boys may like.

Perhaps boys are being taught by adults that they shouldn’t like a princess movie?

All I know is I loved them when I was a little boy.
I enjoyed them as a kid as well and would agree that it shouldn't be an issue for boys to enjoy princess movies.

But it was interesting to see the lesson Disney took away from Princess and the Frog's box office disappointment. I remember hearing that they were concerned the word Princess scared boys away from seeing the film, which is why the Rapunzel movie changed it's title to Tangled, and Frozen also got a similar name.

Kirby86

I enjoyed them as a kid as well and would agree that it shouldn't be an issue for boys to enjoy princess movies.

But it was interesting to see the lesson Disney took away from Princess and the Frog's box office disappointment. I remember hearing that they were concerned the word Princess scared boys away from seeing the film, which is why the Rapunzel movie changed it's title to Tangled, and Frozen also got a similar name.
Yeah the name having Princess being blamed was a pretty dumb takeaway from Disney. If that was the case The little Mermaid wouldn't have Kickstarted the Disney Renaissance. I think what hurt the movie most was 2007 to 2008 was the time Animation really took a turn towards CGI. Almost every studio Pixar, DreamWorks, Blue sky, Illumination was on its way and they were dealing with CGI almost completely. Hand drawn animation was seen as lesser during that period. Plus the animated musical was about 10 years removed from its high point in the mid to late 90s and it wasn't until Frozen that they started to make a comeback.

Dizmentia

Are you an insider? If not, then believe what you want. I've been following Disney for a long time. Right now they are looking at cutting whatever costs possible. WDW Splash is still extremely popular. Replacing it with a Tiana version for 50 million dollars AND having to close one of your headlining attractions for possibly years doesn't gain them much.

Sure they will advertise it, but as soon as people that don't follow Disney much look into it and realize that all they did was replace Splash mountain with a tie into a movie that wasn't extremely popular (and still isn't) I don't think that's going to move the needle for them financially.

I honestly think doing it in WDW hurts them in several ways both immediately and in the long run more than it will help.
I'm not an "insider" but I do have "friends on the other side" including one who is working on the Florida version right now.

celluloid

Meh… so is buzz lightyear still if you had wings? Was Winnie the Pooh not something new?

The ride experiences of both of those were overhauled to change the actual ride dynamic. Buzz Became a shooting interactive and spinning ride with the ability to control where and frequency of spin and Winnie The Pooh uses a different track layout and ride vehicle that has the bouncing feature and takes up the entire show building of Toad's former tracks. Not good examples.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The ride experiences of both of those were overhauled to change the actual ride dynamic. Buzz Became a shooting interactive and spinning ride with the ability to control where and frequency of spin and Winnie The Pooh uses a different track layout and ride vehicle that has the bouncing feature and takes up the entire show building of Toad's former tracks. Not good examples.

Fair, but I still don't think it makes any sense to call Frozen Ever After the same as Maelstrom.

The actual ride dynamic is basically the least important part of a dark ride. It can matter sometimes, but not nearly as much as the actual show scenes, AAs, etc.

celluloid

The actual ride dynamic is basically the least important part of a dark ride. It can matter sometimes, but not nearly as much as the actual show scenes, AAs, etc.

I would tend to agree but if you change the track and ride vehicle, it is no longer a retheme. Forbidden Journey is certainly more thrilling exciting than Haunted Mansion. If Haunted Mansion had omnis that were no buggies it would really kill the reveal and excitement of the ride. I agree that the themed environment is crucial to a theme park ride. That is what make sit a theme park after all and is a sum of all parts. Depending on the publication, the company is trying to have it both ways. The Majority of Splash Mountain features dark ride environment duration. It has a lot to live up to. Just cause to be concerned there when they are trying to say "new ride and same ride" from the same company.
Maelstrom did not have a good thrill to fall back on and Frozen outperformed Princess and The Frog by a a few blockbuster number margin. Disney can go even cheaper with Princess and The Frog and in the past with thrill rides, they have. With this evidence, the fans concerns are justified.

Last edited:

peter11435

Sure….

You’re grasping

By that logic Star Tours and Body wars are the exact same attraction. As are Dinosaur and Indiana Jones Adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom