News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

Beyond slang terms, the only thing that has really tripped me up abroad is realising that we are one of the very few countries that use the word capsicum for bell pepper.
I’ve never encountered “capsicum” before! We call them sweet peppers in the UK or refer to them by their colours (red pepper, green pepper, etc.).

The one that I always find interesting is what different countries call stores that sell alcohol, as everyone seems to have their own term!
If my years of watching Aussie soaps haven’t failed me, you guys call it an “offie”, derived from “off-licence”, which is what we use. Am I right?

Sir_Cliff

I’ve never encountered “capsicum” before! We call them sweet peppers in the UK or refer to them by their colours (red pepper, green pepper, etc.).
Yes, I knew Americans called them bell peppers, but it took a Brit asking me what the hell a capsicum was to investigate and find that it's basically just Australia, New Zealand, and India where that word is used!

If my years of watching Aussie soaps haven’t failed me, you guys call it an “offie”, derived from “off-licence”, which is what we use. Am I right?
Huh, interesting! That might also be something that differs from state to state in Australia, but I haven't heard anyone use that term. I knew British people called them an off-licence, but in Melbourne (and I guess the state of Victoria) they are called "bottle shops"! Or, of course, "bottle-o".

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Huh, interesting! That might also be something that differs from state to state in Australia, but I haven't heard anyone use that term. I knew British people called them an off-licence, but in Melbourne (and I guess the state of Victoria) they are called "bottle shops"! Or, of course, "bottle-o".
I just checked, and it seems "offie" is actually British slang! I think I drew the (false) Australian connection because of the preponderance of abbreviations in Australian English, though most of them seem to end in -o (as in "bottle-o"!), my favourite being "smoko".

SpectreJordan

It's not much different than the logic they used to jam Avatar into Animal Kingdom.

"Well ... there are animals on that planet they have in the movie ... so it definitely fits!!!"
Avatar is a movie with heavy conservationist themes, much like Animal Kingdom. Way of Water intensifies it since they heavily focus on animals in it; hopefully we'll get a new ride themed around that movie.

I think they fit Avatar in really well. The rides easily could've been big dumb action fests with the Na'vi fighting the humans; but they made them all serene & nature focused.

I think it fits in just as well, if not better, than Beastly Kingdom would've.

Kirby86

So are the bunnies home that were growing a garden in Splash will their home remain? Tiana could grab a couple carrots on the way to the mine.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Screenshot_20230122-230640_YouTube (1).jpg

Exactly one month ago, the final riders of Splash Mountain took the plunge into the Briar Patch. It's weird, it feels alot longer to me.

Stupido

And what else is there to say at this point? This topic has been discussed at nauseam. Until Disney releases new information about the attraction, or a significant amount of construction has happened, there's truly nothing left to be said.

Drdcm

To be fair this thread was closed for a spell. After that plenty of people were moving along to the other threads.
Oh I agree with you. The constant change in which threads are open and which aren’t and which topics we can and can’t discuss is the source of confusion. That being said, the constant complaining about off-topic conversation is tiring, so figured I’d just bump this again.

Side note… If we can’t lament the closure of splash, I expect nobody is allowed to lament the closure of horizons ever again. I mean come on guys… it’s been 24 years. It’s never coming back!

Drdcm

No restriction of the sort has been imposed. There are multiple threads full of such lamentations.
Sorry… not trying to pick a fight, just feeling a bit sassy today.

Here’s two examples of where The Mom has told us we aren’t allowed to lament Splash and then deleted posts/closed forums.

From back in February:

“Splash is being replaced, and the opinions pro and con have been voiced for months. Nothing is going to change that decision, so it's time to discuss its replacement only.

There is a thread for construction updates. This is a thread to discuss the theming, storyline, etc.

Please remember that politics and social commentary are still not allowed.”

And from today:

“Both positive and negative discussion of Tiana's Bayou Adventure is allowed. Discussions of why Splash was closed, and posts discussing race, slavery, twitter etc, will not be allowed. Talking about how much someone will miss Splash and why does this have to happen is just shaking your fist at the heavens right now.

Splash is closed, will soon be just a memory, and will be replaced by Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Posters can speculate on what the attraction may finally be, and whether they think it will be good or bad is allowed. But it is a done deal so there is no point in moaning and groaning about it anymore.”

Technically this is against the rules because we are not allowed to criticize mods. I promise I’ll let it go. Just posting a little sass, nothing I’m actually taking seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom