News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

SNS

Well, the briar patch is being removed outright and replaced by "soft" looking foliage (grass and bushes). Visually speaking, it certainly won't have the sort of intimidation factor that the thorns had.

One of the weirder parts of this whole thing for me that is they are trying to dress up the whole thing as more friendly (apparently the lift hill will also be cheery as well) but... well they are still dropping you. The tone of these things feels off.

38053WDW

I disagree with your interpretation of Signature Element. The drop is the image most people have in their heads when they think of Splash. It’s the Money Shot, the image Disney uses in all their media to promote it. It’s the thing everyone photographs. The drop is the iconic signature element of Splash Mountain, just as Cinderella Castle is MK’s signature element. It’s the first image that pops into mind when the subject is mentioned.
Yep that view of the Castle at the top of the drop - yea .. that was planned !

Rich T

How can you suggest theming is immaterial and replaceable but then say what’s impressive is the “complete visual package”?
Well, to start with, I never said theming is immaterial. I said Splash’s big final drop—that iconic image (yes, the whole “themed” image) is the ride’s signature money-shot image. The image that Disney has always used in every kind of advertising.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Definition of word Classic:

adjective
  • 1.judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind:"a classic novel"

If you post in this forum and say that Splash Mountain is not a classic, than you are direct opposition with this website's (as well as Imagineering and theme park industry's) take on Splash Mountain.
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, "Classic" can also mean "extremely or unusually funny, bad, or annoying."

Rich T

Well, the briar patch is being removed outright and replaced by "soft" looking foliage (grass and bushes). Visually speaking, it certainly won't have the sort of intimidation factor that the thorns had.
True. I’m not saying I’m not concerned, I’m just trying really hard to stay optimistic.

retr0gate

I would love to see some kind of happy medium between the original design that was released and the version we have now. I think Mama Odie's tree would've been visually overwhelming but I do agree that as is the mountain looks a little barren without the tree stump on top. Been sketching out my take on how it could've been redesigned.
1674675302719.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

MrPromey

Someone posted earlier that the tree plan was ditched because the current hill wouldn't support it along with the boat stuck in the tree.
Except it wouldn't be a tree with a boat stuck in it.

It would likely be a steel frame with a fiberglass coated foam (as in styrofoam) build which would all weigh considerably less than it looks.

I mean, weight could still be an issue, I guess but my point is, in a situation like this when they want to build something, the first step would be figuring out what and then the second would be the construction materials and methods for the circumstances they're building under - including weight load.

This also wouldn't likely be something just bolted onto the exterior of the ride but connected directly to the frame under the exterior.

Again, it could still be an issue (one that money could absolutely fix) but I'm guessing that initial concept art they rushed out when they said this had been in the works since Walt's birth was probably the only solid thing they had and that little to no real thought about the actual story or practical efforts of converting this attraction had even been seriously considered at that point.

In short, I think it was about like the presentation of Beyond Thunder Mountain which is why it's taken years from that announcement to get to a point where they are ready to close the ride and actually begin a two year project that involves an already built structure and ride system.

matt9112

One of the weirder parts of this whole thing for me that is they are trying to dress up the whole thing as more friendly (apparently the lift hill will also be cheery as well) but... well they are still dropping you. The tone of these things feels off.

Yeah it comes across as pandering to younger kids….yet it still has a height requirement…..and still has thrills… it will feel very odd from a flow stand point if the ride is all happy go lucky with no build up of the drop or even the smaller ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom