News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

JohnD

And to think that Eisner wanted it based around the movie Splash..
1a9a0898e16f5eab77d05e7a62e34bc1.jpg

Can't imagine what the ride would have been like with the plot..🤔
That's incorrect. He just wanted to change the name to "Splash Mountain" to promote the Splash film. While Imagineers doubtless thought that was screwy thinking, they leaned into it realizing it's a great name for the final drop.

Cmdr_Crimson

That's incorrect. He just wanted to change the name to "Splash Mountain" to promote the Splash film. While Imagineers doubtless thought that was screwy thinking, they leaned into it realizing it's a great name for the final drop.
So, it was still intended to have the Brer Rabbit story but, promote a movie with a different plot?

Wendy Pleakley

I don't get some of the more dramatic reactions to this ride "closure".

It will still be a well themed log ride. I'd wager many of the components will carry over.

Are people really that attached to Song of the South? It's a fairly dull movie that most people only vaguely remember.

It's a good ride, but this isn't like when Disney actually removes classic attractions in favor of something dramatically different or inferior.

Trauma

I just wish the new ride had the word Mountain in it. I feel like I’m going to be calling Splash or Tiana’s Mountain anyways.

Vegas Disney Fan

Well, the old ride was "racist or something" apparently which is why it's now closed. A point is being made if that is the reason it was closed, be careful of your new theme.
Disney could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just stating the change was because they wanted to finally give Tiana her own ride and the theme of Splash fit the bayou theme, similar to how Maelstrom became Frozen.

By making it about racism they’ve ensured the new ride will be scrutinized for any hint of racism.

celluloid

So, it was still intended to have the Brer Rabbit story but, promote a movie with a different plot?

It was to keep the word Splash in People's minds. It was Eisner's little synergy joke. People make it a bigger deal than it was.

Don't forget, Eisner's son is the reason Splash mountain was pushed forward as a.major project before Star Tours even started.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

It will still be a well themed log ride. I'd wager many of the components will carry over.

Are people really that attached to Song of the South? It's a fairly dull movie that most people only vaguely remember.

It's a good ride, but this isn't like when Disney actually removes classic attractions in favor of something dramatically different or inferior.
It remains to be seen whether the overhaul will also be as well themed or good as Splash. I doubt it. A number of us consider their track record of reskinning rides to be pretty quite poor. And the team involved raises some serious red flags.

Not everything in SOTS is good. But it does have awesome music and charming well animated animated sequences. Those were the elements that were adapted into the ride, and they did an incredible job. There's a reason it's as popular as it is, despite there being an ever dwindling number of people who are familiar with the film. It excels as an awesome ride.

I'll also note that just because a movie is great, it doesn't mean it will necessarily translate into a good theme park attraction. Ratatouille has this problem. The movie is wonderful, but it lacks elements that make it a good fit for a ride IMO. I don't find the experience of running through a large industrial kitchen and through the crevices of its walls to be visually interesting. Especially with the presentation being 95% projected video onto flat walls. On the flipside, I can think of quite a few Disney films that aren't considered to be that great by audiences, but would actually make great rides. For example, I think Black Cauldron, Atlantis or Treasure Planet all have potential.

Princess and the Frog at least lends itself really well to be transitioned into a ride if done correctly. But the other problem is that the creative team involved and their existing work doesn't inspire confidence that they can handle it. They're also excluding a few elements from the film that a lot of people were most interested in seeing, I don't expect Facilier to appear.

Disney Glimpses

I realize that Disney has done little to gain our confidence lately, but I am confident they understand the gravity of this attraction. Not necessarily because of how popular Splash Mountain was but because it's an E-ticket attraction in their most visited theme park. If it weren't a Magic Kingdom attraction, I'd be more concerned.

JohnD

I realize that Disney has done little to gain our confidence lately, but I am confident they understand the gravity of this attraction. Not necessarily because of how popular Splash Mountain was but because it's an E-ticket attraction in their most visited theme park. If it weren't a Magic Kingdom attraction, I'd be more concerned.
I think what has everyone concerned is the apparent over-thinking of the theme. Instead of a fun log flume ride in the Louisiana Bayou with the PATF characters, they concoct a story following the movie about a salt mine, her co-op, and restaurant.

Buried20KLeague

Many are lamenting the lost music. Me included.

And the fact that reports are that PatF movie music won't be included, along with other components that would play very well into the hill climax. And no facilier. Along with a STUPID premise (IMO).

And most importantly... I don't trust disney as far as I can throw them.

Baxter and a late 80's team surrounding him to develop Splash is quite a bit different than this 2020 crew we have to put some kind of faith in.

You don't know it won't be inferior, just like we don't know it will be... But we've got a mountain (intentional) of evidence over the past 10-15 years that doesn't exactly bode well.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Many are lamenting the lost music. Me included.

And the fact that reports are that PatF movie music won't be included, along with other components that would play very well into the hill climax. And no facilier. Along with a STUPID premise (IMO).

And most importantly... I don't trust disney as far as I can throw them.

Baxter and a late 80's team surrounding him to develop Splash is quite a bit different than this 2020 crew we have to put some kind of faith in.

You don't know it won't be inferior, just like we don't know it will be... But we've got a mountain (intentional) of evidence over the past 10-15 years that doesn't exactly bode well.
My thoughts exactly. So much riding on this. So little confidence

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom