News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Touchdown

The repeated references to Frida Kahlo, who died in 1954, are a pretty big clue!
I said land of the Living, we already have a show in Frontierland that features a song from a 1950s TV Show. Inside the rides can be their own thing, besides we have a 1920s era Jungle Cruise coexisting with a 1600s Pirate fort one land over. And in Liberty Square, we have a piano appearing in the revolutionary period when harpsichords were far more popular in the states (and still extremely rare.)

matt9112

Guardians threw continuity to the wind harder then any other attraction.

Forgive me. I have never been on it. But It seemed like a fight with some big boss dude that we never saw in the MCU so I assumed nothing really breaking the story.

In any case my point is valid. Using the doctor is an obvious choice that makes sense and yet here we are thinking disney isn’t using him because he died?

LittleBuford

I said land of the Living
I know. That’s where the repeated references to Frida happen. [ETA: Sorry, I misread your post; I was referring to the Land of the Dead.]

As to the rest of your post, I agree there are twentieth-century references already in Frontierland (CBJ in particular). Tiana’s Bayou Adventure will be another. But Coco feels too recent even by those standards. Miguel is shown throughout the film wearing a very contemporary-looking hoodie.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Forgive me. I have never been on it. But It seemed like a fight with some big boss dude that we never saw in the MCU so I assumed nothing really breaking the story.

In any case my point is valid. Using the doctor is an obvious choice that makes sense and yet here we are thinking disney isn’t using him because he died?
They make convenient, plentiful time travel central to the story (even though it has absolutely no impact on the ride experience whatsoever) which very obviously demolishes the plot of Endgame.

TalkToEthan

coexisting with a 1600s Pirate fort
I'm not so sure about the 1600's; could have been but I'd say 1500's is the better guess.
Also, I wouldn't really call it a pirate fort. Pirates merely ransacked it. Spain built Caribbean forts in the 1500's for trading, protection and provisions for their ships.

Touchdown

I'm not so sure about the 1600's; could have been but I'd say 1500's is the better guess.
Also, I wouldn't really call it a pirate fort. Pirates merely ransacked it. Spain built Caribbean forts in the 1500's for trading, protection and provisions for their ships.
The golden age of piracy was 1650-1730 hence my pick of 1600s.

LittleBuford

The costumes of Pirates of the Caribbean situate the ride in the eighteenth century, though some of the women are wearing dresses more suggestive of the nineteenth. The architecture could, of course, date from earlier, but the attraction's exterior belongs stylistically to the 1600s or 1700s.

TalkToEthan

I won't argue against costuming being 1700 and 1800ish but the fortress itself sure looks like some mighty early Spain creations as in 1500's. But yes, it just might be 1600 built.

Very possible that structures built hundreds of years earlier still get used.

LittleBuford

I won't argue against costuming being 1700 and 1800ish but the fortress itself sure looks like some mighty early Spain creations as in 1500's. But yes, it just might be 1600 built.

Very possible that structures built hundreds of years earlier still get used.
Well, we can stop wondering: there's a plaque on the building inscribed with its name and supposed date, which is 1643:

45745231582_24c33d300c_b.jpg

When this was added I don't know; it doesn't look to me like something from 1973, when the ride first opened. It's worth noting that the "A.D." is in the wrong place—it should precede the date, not follow it.

_caleb

Well, we can stop wondering: there's a plaque on the building inscribed with its name and supposed date, which is 1643:

When this was added I don't know; it doesn't look to me like something from 1973, when the ride first opened. It's worth noting that the "A.D." is in the wrong place—it should precede the date, not follow it.
When I was a kid we always tried to read Roman numerals, so I'm something of an expert. That one clearly says: "med-kicks-lee-add."

yensidtlaw1969

I believe the plaque was added in 2006 during the refurbishment that added Jack Sparrow.

IronRod

I wouldn’t be shocked if they updated the sensors and computer system of the ride as well. If I recall correctly, there are two independent computer systems running the ride and occasionally issues are caused by them not being in sync. This could likely be changed to a single, more reliable system.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Nightmare is SUPER niche. It has a dedicated core of fans but casuals aren't into it and would have no idea who "Oogie Boogie" is.
That might've been the case in the 90s, but Nightmare is pretty mainstream now. Jack is everywhere during Halloween, you can't go in a Halloween section without seeing him.

Not to mention that Disney overlays one of their most iconic rides with Nightmare every year in Cali & Japan.

AEfx

I wouldn’t be shocked if they updated the sensors and computer system of the ride as well. If I recall correctly, there are two independent computer systems running the ride and occasionally issues are caused by them not being in sync. This could likely be changed to a single, more reliable system.

I have no insider info (and I'd love to see some of our remaining insiders chime in) but I assume they will be doing a LOT of back-end work as part of this. I suspect they really have no choice - like with HM and POTC before their major refurbs, things like the audio system, etc. are practically ancient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom