News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

_caleb

As much as I'd absolutely love to love this redo as much as I love something like MMRR, I remain convinced that as long as at least two of the three most enjoyable characters from the film are absent (and I have scant hope of Lottie showing up, either) and they are using the monumentally historically tone-deaf salt mine element, the imagineers have badly outsmarted themselves. Those mistakes are so fundamental. Now, if we learn that we're getting a Facilier AA and the idiotic salt mine thing is gone completely, I'm on board.
Do we have confirmation that references to a salt mine are going to be part of the storyline and not just backstory to explain a hill/drop/caverns in New Orleans?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Only the vague crumbs of hope posted, nothing else beyond that. Your guess as to what the scenes will include are as good as mine. I'd be curious to know if any other actual insiders here have heard anything to back this glimmer of hope up. Or if they know any further details.

Hey @Magic Feather and @marni1971 have either of you heard anything promising about this project recently?
Aside from being told some timeframes I’ve not actively pursued information about this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Imagine a ride like this:

Kermit is tired of his life and wants a change. He packs up his belongings, despite his fellow Muppets saying it's a bad idea, and leaves his cozy apartment for a new life in a new city. However, Dr. Nefario and his henchman, the faithful but bumbling George, has his eye on Kermit and wants to kidnap him and make him into frog stew. Kermit uses his wits to comically outsmart Dr. Nefario and George and eventually realizes that there's no place like home, no matter what problems may exist there.

Sounds like a ride I'd like to experience. Too bad so many of you want to get rid of it.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Imagine a ride like this:

Kermit is tired of his life and wants a change. He packs up his belongings, despite his fellow Muppets saying it's a bad idea, and leaves his cozy apartment for a new life in a new city. However, Dr. Nefario and his henchman, the faithful but bumbling George, has his eye on Kermit and wants to kidnap him and make him into frog stew. Kermit uses his wits to comically outsmart Dr. Nefario and George and eventually realizes that there's no place like home, no matter what problems may exist there.

Sounds like a ride I'd like to experience. Too bad so many of you want to get rid of it.
Untitled392_20221026114433.png

Strange crossover but I'd still ride 😂

Ayla

• Louis story was dropped because the rumor is they couldn't find out what to do with the Laughin Place other than make it a salt mine
• Jim Cummings recently confirmed that Ray is not returning
• No doubt they would've mentioned Facilier by now if he were part of it.
• Plus Keith Davis wasn't listed in the ride cast at D23
• None of the film songs will be reused
How can you have a ride but don't use any of the songs from the movie?! That's ridiculous. There is zero connection to the movie and zero connection from the audience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ughhhhh. I don't understand their obsession with doing "after the movie" when the movie is what has the audience and the following...
Well, there are plenty of people on these forums who criticize 'book reports' rides that just rehash what happens in the movie.

And there are those like you who want what happens in the movie.

Stupido

I think the decision to set the ride after the movie has more to do with the biggest criticism of the movie: the first black princess spends 80% of the movie as a frog. This has been a very common complaint, and if they set the ride during the movie, they'd be dealing with that same exact problem all over again. I get wanting to set it post-human transformation, but I agree this salt mine story could use some work.

MerlinTheGoat

The salt mine exterior is stupid, and it's interesting that almost everyone seems to agree with that sentiment regardless of whether they support the overhaul or not (rare to see such a unanimous consensus here). It's just a strange and bad idea overall regardless of how you look at it. I actually did much prefer the original exterior art showing the the tree and boat atop the hill. Not that hills make any sense in the bayou regardless of the concept they go with (including the salt mine variant), but the exterior at least appeared lush and vibrant.

Hopefully most/all of the salt mine elements apply ONLY to the queue and exterior, and the interior scenes focus on the bayou and New Orleans. The current version of Splash Mountain also doesn't take place inside Brer Fox's lair for most of it either, it transitions to either a swamp or sunny countryside (depending on the version) after the initial drop. I would assume the Tiana overlay would make the same sort of transition. The word "bayou" is in the ride name, so one assumes that setting would take precedent.

This is all of my own speculation of course, but it makes sense to me. I'd also be shocked if none of the songs from the movie play in the ride. I'm guessing there will be a mixture of both old and new.

aladdin2007

Muppet Mountain...at least it would still be an iconic MK mountain attraction, and not squished down to a bog swamp with a anything but exciting princess storybook title. This whole thing still bothers me that they are removing an entire MK mountain for this when it should/could have still been Tiana's Splash Mountain...Imagineering is just done gone.... But then I am also still irked they renamed the snow white ride at Disneyland enchanted wish or whatever fluff princess name they call it. We cant have anything anymore that exudes a sense of darkness or danger or originality. Everything has to be a preschool princess name.

BuddyThomas

So they are seriously doing this retheme just to promote a Disney+ show?! UGH! That’s the worst excuse I ever heard! D+ needs to stay out of Disney Parks.
No. That’s not why. No one would expect you to read all 500+ pages of this thread, but at least do a little digging and you will learn why they are doing the retheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom